Gang of 4 were shit. Discuss.

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
the type were discussing
you know how it is, for official places there's a ton of bars and small to medium sized venues

for bar shows the Empty Bottle - your default small but official rock venue - and the Hideout are a couple names that stick out

I very rarely go to larger venues but the Metro and Thalia Hall are probably the first names that come to mind there

there's plenty of DIY spots too of course, if you're interested in-box me and I can direct you to a couple

obviously nothing is open rn

padraig (u.s.)

you think it's an easy sacrifice to leave John McGeoch-era S + the Bs out of cool rock music? it ain't. that guy was a guitar genius.

there's some Siouxsie quote about she'd tell him "I want the guitars to sound like horses falling off a cliff" and he'd just go alrite and get it done.

but I can't in good faith make a cool rock music argument for "Christine" or "Spellbound", great songs tho they may be

this is 100% cool rock music tho. a definitive cover of, as noted, the only cool rock music Beatles song.

cool rock music

padraig (u.s.)

it's been a while since I listened to The Scream so I can't vouchsafe every track on it, but them early singles certainly

linebaugh

I'm not sure if fully grasp what that word entails, there ain't no affected otherworldliness in that track or none of Pink Flag

to the more general point I never said they weren't art school bois
Was alluding to Siouxsie and The Banshees, undoubtedly fey, though not as much with early stuff admittedly. No slight on them either, really like the Banshees. I dont find ITFF all that fey either, but we don't agree. No sense in squeezing out the cool here in the back and forth.

for bar shows the Empty Bottle - your default small but official rock venue - and the Hideout are a couple names that stick out

there's plenty of DIY spots too of course, if you're interested in-box me and I can direct you to a couple

I saw some pretty cool stuff at the Hideout and The Empty Bottle, was pretty impressed with the general music culture throughout the whole city really. Ill take you up on that offer.

Leo

John McGeoch

such a great guitarist, also in magazine.

not to derail the thread but someone else from that scene/time period who also deserves big credit (and maybe even his own dissensus thread at some point): budgie.

when you hear the early slits peel sessions and demos, you realize how much of that great first slits album is him. on their own, they were a noisy punk band. with him, they became an entirely different beast, a new dimension in dub. to this day, nothing else sounds like "cut"

Leo

@john eden really talented guy, was also married to siouxsie for about 15 year I think. do you know if he retired from music? can't find any recent activity, as a producer or band member