Hip Hop '11

petergunn

plywood violin
Post-Based God is a much more appropriate term. I think more people are just finding it easier to associate intellect with OF, which is fucking dumb, but hey.

it's a fine line... Lil B is def more of a one-off than OF, as their weird dark skate style is just sorta a pinch of pharrell, a pinch of kool keith, mixed w/ some beastie boys... i don't know if i could sume up Lil B that easily and i'm not even that much of a fan...

daddek

i mean that its more a generational >21 internet raised thing. Im of the feeling this teenage tumblr rap shit was bound to happen, it was more a matter of the first to get recognition for it, then gets credited with inventing it.

Lil B & OF propelled it for sure tho

luka

i posted a spacegodpurpp thing a while back that was amazing but i cant find it again. it had him dancing a bit spasticated in a room with some weird lighting. it was better than anything else i heard of his. my favourite thing about him is looking through his youtube favourites. theres about 700 of them and apart from the meshuggah stuff its mostly all pretty good and i hadnt heard hardly any of it.

luka

i guess so...
rich boy and supavillain about to relase a new mixtape about 3 weeks after the last one. this is something off it

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
saw some boy on no jumper pushing this as big krit but better. its not and his justification for not liking the krit is vague and convoluted but this is a lovely pice of music none the less
this is him with freddie gibbs

Really like these K.D. tunes. The Juicy J tape (from the clips you posted) sounds more diverse than I'd expected. I dunno if I'm bored of Lex's stock style or if its just that nobody hits it as well as Waka (as daddek says). I think most of the time on mixtapes his beats are too low in the mix, they sound so much better on ''Flockaveli'' (a proper album) and ''B.M.F.''

Anyone heard 'Goblin' yet? I've only had one quick listen so I don't want to call it yet. Tyler seems to be a better rapper now. I don't like track 3 at all. That's it so far :D

Phaedo

I got "Goblin", overall I think it's a success. A few rubbish tunes but more hit than miss imo. Tyler is the best he's ever sounded, both in terms of production and rapping.

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
The production is lovely too, lazy but lovely. And nice for that, reminds me of louche rock, like Earth or Louie Louie. With shitty jazz asides. But they're still the closest to have got to rock with hiphop yet, kinda punk casuals, black boys wearing tacchini and dyeing blond flicks in their hair. With skateboards. Don't like the skateboard thing.

'Radicals' sounds like bad Black Flag, which means they'll be even huger. I hope they go straight into number one in the US.

Last edited:

Corpsey

bandz ahoy

Still haven't listened to 'Goblin', its getting slaughtered on the rap forum I go on but 90% of the people on there hated Tyler before they'd even heard it.

Phaedo

After more listens to Goblin and hearing deeper into the lyrics, themes, concept ect. I'm beginning to think its really quite good.

I'm no rap expert though, maybe if i listened to more great hiphop albums i'd not like it as much.

mistersloane

http://thirdworlds.net/

@Sloane - the last tune samples Black Flag.

That's weird, must be something in the air. Black Flag reunion on the cards then I guess.

That Guardian article isn't bad. He doesn't make the connection between skatepunk and all this though, which is a shame, cos it's untimately all just skate kids, and they were always liberal as fuck, one's I knew never gave a fuck about anything other than fucking themselves up.

Bunj

Tyler's just some whiny try hard hipster with an annoying voice innit.

Sounds like the anticon guys but not as clever, takes cues from horrorcore but doesn't sound genuinely grim or menacing.

Its not what hes tryna be that i don't like its just he's not very good at his character.

outraygeous

Is there a better beat maker/rapper out at the moment?

Im just saying that to create discussion and see if there are any names I could pick up on

mistersloane

Tyler's just some whiny try hard hipster with an annoying voice innit.

Sounds like the anticon guys but not as clever, takes cues from horrorcore but doesn't sound genuinely grim or menacing.

Its not what hes tryna be that i don't like its just he's not very good at his character.

Yeah he is, cos he doesn't have a character. His character is himself, which is a pissed off 19 year old boy in therapy. He says all the time that the violence isn't real. What part of himself isn't he good at, do you think?

Bunj

Lol as if all rappers aren't characters to an extent. All artists project an image that can never be truly 'real'. Blah blah blah 19 blah blah therapy blah blah backstory.

Couldn't give a shit about his narrative, his rhymes just sound forced to me, like he's tryna prove to the world how much hes f'd in the head.

Its just my gut feeling when I listen to him, shame coz lotsa the production I reckon is pretty waxa.

gumdrops

wow another rapper with a tough backstory. not to say it doesnt matter or we shouldnt care, tho im not sure i do. but rappers with absent dads, fucked up psychs, etc etc, thats not new stuff. hes just made critics wank all over him cos hes so self conscious and you can hear him 'thinking' about this stuff as hes rapping. critics like that shit, cos its in role, and dont like other rappers who talk about similar stuff, as they dont believe it. so oddly, they prefer acting/distance in their hip hop rather than authenticity (real/projected or otherwise) whereas most hip hop heads like to feel that what their favourite rappers are saying is The Fucking Truth, regardless of whether it is or not (this is also what makes certain rapper's lines funny, cos its so OTT). but i dont really feel it. it sounds empty. all gesture, meaning nothing. got to hear it properly, mind. but ive heard worse, more depraved, and more believable fucked up lyrics from ill bill, necro, guys like that. and some of that is funnier too (tho in a terrible way i dont really like to be part of). basically, OF and these guys are proper suburban rappers (which i give them props for, they could have pretended they werent), so its no wonder they appeal to white/indie rock kids and journalists more than the hip hip blogs, and even tho they seem to dislike that hip hop bloggers dont care much for them, they should just own up to the fact this is the crowd they were going for from day one. or maybe they werent, and im being ultra cynical. but i reckon they were. these are like the kids who grew up on pharrell (incidentally also proudly suburban and also lacking any sort of gravitas in most of his vocals, hence why he sounds so grating when trying to act mr tough guy) and eminem and erm hipster shit (perhaps, i dont know, i must read an interview with them some day).

god i need to hear this thing properly before ranting about it dont i.

better dual rapper/producers: mf doom.

Last edited: