Go on then.. who's the best UK MC?

trilliam

named 4 rappers, pinpoints 3

name 5 aspects of rapping including flow, pinpoints 1

is ghetts not a good mc nah? can you still not answer the burning question nah? if so you should just refrain from quoting man cause all these deflection tactics r boring

you older than me but you debate like a child

droid

Ive given you about 30 names. Go and educate yourself. Youre like a beano fan discussing who wrote the best novel. Read some literature.

luka

What are you doing in this thread started by your personal friend Danny if you think it's a stupid topic?

john eden

male pale and stale
How have I misquoted you, young man?

I think Ghetts is a perfect example of an MC who is technically great, but who I personally find really boring to listen to.

(This is based on buying Ghetto Gospel and Freedom of Speech when they came out, so apologies if everyone else thinks they are rubbish or unrepresentative.)

droid

Stick to the essentials. No more mentioning Jamaicans.

Well afaic, its between 80's dancehall and early 00's grime. Some great MC's in 90's garage and jungle of course, and I only know the obvious UK hip hop candidates, but the problem (obviously) is what makes a great grime MC is very different from what makes a great jungle MC.

luka

But it would help to focus the debate if you back a horse, even if only nominally cos you must admit it's got a bit stupid

trilliam

Papa San, Lieutenant Stitchie, Ninjaman, Supercat, Cutty ranks, Tonto Irie, Charlie Chaplin, Major Worries, Brigadier Jerry, Yellowman, Tippa Irie, Papa Levi, Admiral bailey, Chaka Demus, Tiger, Daddy Lilly, Tullo T, Buju Banton, Peter Metro, Shabba ranks, Major Mackerel, Bounty Killer, Bunny General.

so i know chaka demus, bounty killer, ninaman, supercat, cutty ranks, buju banton and shabba ranks are not these mc marvels you make out to be, im pretty sure the rest aren't either. clearly the only thing these guys have going for them is (???) and a lot of that is subjective

clearly none of the guys i named are the equivalent of a maf, ghetts, kool g rap or lord finesse or could ever be considered a god mc, you're stuck in fetish land bro u need to unplug

john eden

male pale and stale
clearly none of the guys i named are the equivalent of a maf, ghetts, kool g rap or lord finesse or could ever be considered a god mc, you're stuck in fetish land bro u need to unplug

That is certainly a very interesting opinion.

trilliam

of course comparing grime mcs, dancehall mcs and jungle mcs you're gonna have different criteria but a couple pages back droid was coming out with statements like

"There's barely a handful of grime MC's that would have made it onto the wings of the stage at a dancehall gig anytime in the 80's or 90's"

"Yeah, 'in tune' with the band is a better description. A skill absent from most MC's regardless"

like thats some kind of benchmark

and then when i moved things onto the lyrical side and the technical side of things, rather than just accept ye there are better lyricists elsewhere but the stage prescence of dancehall/reggae artists is vastly better (like i already said in so much words) he decided to stick to his guns, and that is exactly when things started getting stupid

john eden you missed out apart of my post to make it seem like i'd never heard of anyone in the list which is obviously not the case, dare say some of the names i dropped in the post before this one are "connoisseurs choice" but anyway

i aint fucked with ghetto since like 2006 maximum but in his prime he is my choice for best uk mc, him or giggs. sorry.

droid

But it would help to focus the debate if you back a horse, even if only nominally cos you must admit it's got a bit stupid

Well if its 00's grime its got to be Dizzee doesnt it? Big fan of Wiley, Kano, D Double and the other obvious contenders, but none of them tick all the boxes the way he does.

80's wise, Id probably lead with Papa Levi, but Senator, Tippa, Smiley, Rusty, Sandy and Colonel, and even Pato get a look in, and the likes of Tenor Fly, Levy and Freddy and Macka B would all give most grime MC's a run for their money too.

So, Saxon for greatest UK MC crew of all time (BY A MILE), and Dizzee probably best overall MC. Honourable mention to GQ for jungle.

Last edited:

CrowleyHead

There IS a technique to Giggs, though he's not the best at it (again, I'd say that'd be Sneakbo without a doubt.)

Like, in the road rap style, its obviously a v. clipped 'fit the bar' style. Keef does this a lot too, which is why people think he can't rap because it seems so mechanical. So it depends on sort of choice emphasis on the syllables.

(Ifyah-TA-lkin-DA-har-DES-giggs-best-POPUP-inya-MOUF-asan-AR-TIST (Gheeze!)) etc.

That's a lot more difficult than speed. Any music teacher will tell you singing softly is x100 times more difficult than singing fast. You have to deploy key placement and try to make it sound grooving and funky. Its like how the garage heads here will wax about El-B drums when it can just be "ker-CHAKK, ker-CHAKK".

French is a perfect example of this in US terms though. On a technical level French is actually very very awful, horrible. Unlovable. But that's because at the reduced tempo there's the space and he's trying to use the space carefully. (I know people would expertly say "That's a v. Jeezy thing" but I've always felt Jeezy over-raps on stuff. A lot of people post-Jeezy did that so much better (Gucci, Yo Gotti, Cam'ron is actually a master of slow rap and its noteworthy that his career flourished when he STOPPED rapping in multisylablistic flows that were overly packed).

luka

Giggs technique is poor. Sounds awkward and has to resort to all sort of fudging on his writing when his rhyme scheme is too ambitious for him to keep up. Technique is inseparable from writing (but cant be reduced to writing obviously)

CrowleyHead

Its not the best, but its hardly the worst, and he's gotten loads and loads better. Also being a pioneer can't be discredited.

trilliam

ppl talk about giggs 'slow flow' but he only adopted that after droppin the bulk of his best material, just a lazy cop out imo

Last edited: