Matthew Jonson

ambrose

hmmm i hear an awesome power everytime i hear brutalga square, whether it be on tinny heaphones or what, it may not be the full power, but it is freakin awesome. i did hear it in a sweaty basement once, full of beautiful sweaty barcelonins, but it was 2 am not 4am. so not quite full ;)

i think decompression and typerope are big tunes, but only thanks to the basslines, if you weld them to some decent meat (wtf?!) they would be astonishing.

agreed that the speciher tunes are just BIGGER tunes than stuff on perlon. i think the sound is bigger, i dont know anything about vinyl, but im sure the 1 track per side thing, devoting an enitre slab of vinyl to brutal techno madness, has got to contribute to the POWER

bassnation

the abyss
ambrose said:
hmmm i hear an awesome power everytime i hear brutalga square, whether it be on tinny heaphones or what, it may not be the full power, but it is freakin awesome. i did hear it in a sweaty basement once, full of beautiful sweaty barcelonins, but it was 2 am not 4am. so not quite full ;)

oh yes, its a wicked tune alright. but its one of those tracks that was made for a big sound system, really blows your mind on some good drugs too!

ambrose said:
i think decompression and typerope are big tunes, but only thanks to the basslines, if you weld them to some decent meat (wtf?!) they would be astonishing.

i loved decompression, thought clubbers would go mad for it - but when i played in manchester the other weekend dropping it didn't really work out - i think these things depend very much on the crowd and setting, but you could see the energy levels drop when i played it - so faded it out and played something uplifting instead (njoi "anthem" i seem to remember).

maybe his stuff is not going down as well on the dancefloor as it is with critics and net forums. but what would i know, apart from the odd dj gig don't really go clubbing anymore.

mms

sometimes
bassnation said:
oh yes, its a wicked tune alright. but its one of those tracks that was made for a big sound system, really blows your mind on some good drugs too!

i loved decompression, thought clubbers would go mad for it - but when i played in manchester the other weekend dropping it didn't really work out - i think these things depend very much on the crowd and setting, but you could see the energy levels drop when i played it - so faded it out and played something uplifting instead (njoi "anthem" i seem to remember).

maybe his stuff is not going down as well on the dancefloor as it is with critics and net forums. but what would i know, apart from the odd dj gig don't really go clubbing anymore.

i like dropping decompression into dubstep .
he's reached a level that he's done too many tunes tho.
mid 90s german trance has nothing going for it, give me depth, well made beauty over that anyday.

Backjob

<b>Why is Kompakt so rated?</b>

Oh, I dunno...

Quarks - "I walk"
Superpitcher - "Heroin"
Michael Mayer - "Love is stronger than pride", "Unter Null"
Jurgen Paape - "So weit wie nocht nie"
Closer Musik - "Maria", "One two three, no gravity"
Justus Kohncke - "2 after 909", "Timecode"
Ferenc - "Yes sir, I can hardcore"
Rex the Dog - "Prototype", "I look into mid air"
Heiko Voss - "I think about you"
DJ Koze - "Brutalga square"

I mean, percentage wise, yeah there's lots of dross, but because of the volume they put out there are at least as many great Kompakt releases as on any other classic dance label you'd care to name (there are what, 20 Metroplex releases in total? at most 50% of which are essential...)

Also labels like DJ International and Strictly Rhythm put out 95% pure shit, but still deserve a place in history for the fantastic other 5%...