DJ Haus (Hot City/UTTU)

Mind On Fire crew

DJ Jon K (SnipSnap Music/Hoya Hoya)

DJ Eil R & special guests

Islington Mill, Salford
Manchester

Sunday 26th June
4pm-12am

£8 adv tickets from boomkat.com online or Piccadilly Records in person.

£10 o.t.d

http://www.facebook.com/event.php?eid=170867302967737

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

“It’s fantastic, best thing I’ve heard for a long time. It’s how music should be” - Karin Dreijer Andersson (The Knife/Fever Ray)

Shangaan Electro is the street level dance phenomenon from South Africa that went global in 2010 on the back of a series of viral youtube clips (2 million hits and counting) and an acclaimed compilation on Honest Jon's that introduced the movers and shakers in this fast emerging micro-genre. Shangaan Electro replaces Shangaan music's traditional instrumentation with midi-keyboard sounds, re-pitched vocal samples and jacking four to the floor beats, then amps things up to breakneck speeds of over 180BPM. This is hyper-kinetic digital dance music custom made for weekly dance offs in Soweto, and it's getting ever faster...

This summer Shangaan Electro is hitting European festivals/clubs for the first time ever. Based on a Soweto street party, the live show will feature the stars of the Honest Jon's compilation - producer/mastermind and vocalist Nozinja aka 'Dog' and the clown-masked Tshetsha Boys among them - alongside the fastest Shangaan dancers and fast-rising kwaito/house producer and Nozinja affiliate DJ Spoko (co-producer of DJ Mujava's 'Township Funk').

We'll also be running a BBQ throughout the afternoon (weather permitting) and will be joined by man like Slackk, a self professed "…bald, grime-loving scouser" currently based in London with a debut release on Jackmaster's Numbers imprint, and DJ Haus aka Hot City, the maniac/mastermind behind Unknown To The Unknown and remixes of MZO Bullet, Hot Chip and Robyn a.o... Add the catalytic Mind On Fire crew and the people's DJ, Jon K and this will be unmissable.

"None of Shangaan Electro sounds quite like anything else we have at our disposal. Which, come to think of it, places it within a rich tradition indeed." - Pitchfork.com

"The music itself is stripped down to basics: synthesizer-produced marimba beats, high-pitched singing... But the most riveting aspect of the music is the speed." - The Wall Street Journal

"This is the cheetah of African music." - NPR Music

"Shangaan Electro is a small sign of an emerging future, improbable and necessary." - The Wire

zhao

there are no accidents
nice one.

and 4 days later: Berghain, Berlin. and i will be playing after the live show all. night. long. :D

boo

this sunday!

Slackk is going to do a Kwaito warm-up mix.

BBQ from 4pm, Shangaan guys on stage at 9pm

I can barely contain myself :)

BareBones

wheezy
where/when is the london one?? everyone i know who saw the shangaan thing at sonar on saturday said it was amazing.