Jackin' / Electroline

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Cheers!

I'm not feeling it so much outside of the context of that mix, which often happens with tunes I hear in mixes - which makes sense, since a lot of dance tunes are MADE to be mixed. I love the way marcus mixes in that Drake sampling tune to 'String Thing'.

datwun

yeah no, a lot of this stuff sound best pitched up to 132, in the mix, with an MC on top. That said, I do a lot of headphone listening to the tunes on their own.

From the Scare-Fest mix, more fiyah from the people who brought you Coke Diet:

denoir

Yeah this whole jackin sound is easily compatible with that trendy bassy house - Shadow Child, Eats Everything or even Bashmore (Marcus keeps mixing in Au Seve every week :))

datwun

Yeah, I could easily see people like Tom Shorterz and Hannah Wants getting big down south. In fact, whenever I introduce my friends who are into their "UK Bass" to Jackin, the people they always bring up being big are Shorterz and Wants.

Still, Jackin has plenty of offensively cheesy samples and big bad bait drops to keep the UK Bass hipsters getting too close ;)

NATO

Talking of Shorterz reminds me of this remix of his:

Kind of a dark vibe to this one, could see this fitting into sets by those more into the "uk bass" side of things.

Last edited:

outraygeous

The UK Bass hipsters are not the right crowd for this really. They will be, at some point.

Sometimes, Hipsters like to look back on things.

denoir

"Hannah Wants & Lorenzo - Dappy

- with early support from foamo, dj q, shadow child, mosca, mista men, t williams" :rolleyes:

cheesy samples

= probably the only real difference between jackin and this branch of uk bass

Think it's a positive direction for post-dubsteppy house, much better than uninspired 808 jams :cool:

datwun

denoir - Yeah but I mean, that Dusky track's pure Jackin! Clearly bassline influenced, definitely taking directions from the northern scene!

The other big difference is that down-south 'UK Bass' is all about /not/ having a particular sound - you're free to use a funky beat, you can go 2-step, everyone takes a bit from Juke etc. The northern Jackin scene has a far far more cohesive sound, with that donky-warpy-hollow-owl-bassline sound at the centre of the scene, as well as a strick snappy 4x4 drum pattern.

I think Jackin SHOULD be a national phenomena, I'm waiting for the Jackin Heartbroken, but there's definitely a big divergence between the southern and northern/midlands sound - has been really since Speed Garage.

BUT THEN it's interesting that since everyone, North and South alike, has gone back to House, even though the starting points and touch-stones, general vibe and stuff are very very different, it's inevitable that there are points of convergence too.

Blackdown: haha, nah, I'm half joking ;) I like some UK Bass! I actually only got into dance music in 2009, so literally at the time when Dubstep was fading out and postdubstepukbassfuturegarage was taking over. I like Jackin partly because it's the first /sound/ I've been around to witness coming into being, whereas the southern scene was more of a post-sound or pan-sound. Joy Orbison's big still.

I love cheese though, or at least, I love pop music. For my Jackin's got that balance that both Garage and Funky had at their peak - big vocal euphoria and seriously large basslines. I love that in the 5 months of listening to Jackin I've discovered more anthems - future, dark, stupid, ravey anthems, than in the last couple of years of London music.

I love that Jackin samples Groove Armada, I love Jackin's intense will-to-entertain; choosing the hookiest of hooks, breathing life into old classic vocals, and combining them

continuum

smugpolice
I think its good we are seeing the Northern (anywhere above London) and Southern (London) scenes mixing up each others tunes. I've listened to quite a few Hannah Wants mixes and they are all good. I especially liked her performance on Rinse not too long ago. I need to check some more Shorterz mixes though - any suggestions? Also, apart from Marcus Nasty, does anyone have any links for recordings of other Southern DJs playing Jackin' tunes? Would be interesting to see which producers they are playing.

Although Jackin' has that hollow owl bass as a central signifier there are lots of variation on what is used around that base. The latest Tom Garnett mix (Scarefest) is almost entirely made up of pounding dubby bassline tracks whereas someone like Handi mix up a much wider variety of beats from flowery slow numbers through to off the wall honking beasts. Hannah Wants tends to stick to Jackin' tracks that sound like they would fit in with the Southern UK Bass scene whereas Marcus Nasty has started playing a far wider selection of Jackin' recently (rather than only a few tunes here and there as previously). I also noticed that Marcus is getting headline slots at Jackin' raves. It's amazing that of the Southern DJs Marcus is the only one who gets headline slots at Northern underground events as he did when Bassline was big. A reflection of his openness and forward thinking that sets him apart from most of the ultra protective London scene.

I don't have sound on the PC I'm typing this from so apologies if the video below is sub par but a Jackin' (preferably) or UK Bass producer needs to do an update of the following:

NATO

Quiet

New Calum John, "Evil House":
Quiet in here recenty. Datwun and Jackjambie still recovering from Scare Fest?

Halloween coming up, gonna re-post this C&A tune:

(p.s I'd love to know how to post SC llnks properly if somone has the patience to tell me. I had a search and couldn't return anything.)

Last edited:

outraygeous

Not music I'm very familiar with but its maybe worth investigating fidget stuff like Herve, Switch or Jesse Rose.

Dubsided was a fun label. But then everyone in London was slating 'fidget house' not sure why. It kinda of filled a hole for people like me who wanted some swing in di drums

continuum

smugpolice
(p.s I'd love to know how to post SC llnks properly if somone has the patience to tell me. I had a search and couldn't return anything.)

Press the Soundcloud button on the options above the text box when you are writing a message. Paste the URL of the SC link in between the two Soundcloud tags that have appeared in the text box when you pressed the SC button. Untick the 'Automatically parse links in text' option in the Additional Options section below the text box. Press the Preview Post button to check it has worked.

datwun

Sorry I've been gone so long!
I didn't actually make it to Scare-Fest, I was planning on going with my friend, and we were making arrangements, but hadn't confirmed anything and he just logged off chat and stopped reply to messages. Later that night I got a frantic facebook message like 'IM IN LEEDS WHERE ARE YOU' with me obviously not being in Leeds. LOL. So basically I've had a week off Jackin for the sheer guttedness of missing the rave :(

BUT

IM BACK AND ON RADIO FROM 6-8 INNACITYFM.
Will be going in with my mate Squiggle from Be Ready records, so expect garage, funky, electro and....

JACKIN!! I STILL LOVE U

NATO

Thanks continuum, appreciate it (and now the acid test).

With a piano sample like this, this tune was NEVER gonna fail:

http://soundcloud.com/hectik/hectik-3amigos-sim-aggz-bryn

Datwun that's a shame communication breakdown scuppered your plans. On the plus side, there's jackin all across the midlands and the north every weekend so won't be difficult when you next plan to rave.

NATO

Lots of great stuff up on the Certified Jackin youtube channel, havn't checked it for a couple of weeks before today.

This is another bangaaaaaaa:

Some of you heads will have heard this one before:

Last edited:

datwun

With a piano sample like this, this tune was NEVER gonna fail:

Datwun that's a shame communication breakdown scuppered your plans. On the plus side, there's jackin all across the midlands and the north every weekend so won't be difficult when you next plan to rave.

LOVE love love that 3 Amigos track. One of the best Jackin MC tracks so far I reckon. It's cool thinking about it, like, it took Bassline a while to develop into an MC thing, but from the get go Jackin's had the MC vibe, it's had the drug tracks, the gyal tunes.

Yeah, it was a major parr. I'm looking for another big one to go to soon though! And dissensisians ont?

Really feeling this one from the Scare Fest mix