Jackin' / Electroline

philblackpool

gamelanstep
I've heard loadsa Jackin stuff I quite like & none I adore so far, but then I've not been looking too hard & not heard any of it out yet...

What interests me about it though (& I don't think this has QUITE been said yet, although it has been alluded to a lot) is the potential to unite the Tribes Of Rave. I'm from Cambs & live in Blackpool & I always understood the northwest/northeast to have pretty much severed ties with the south & midlands (& Manchester/Yorkshire sometimes) in the early nineties when most of my peers started shuddering at the Italo synth house big up norf whilst up here they shook their heads at the forks-rattling-in-drawers of DnB darn sarf. OK, you've had speed garage & then bassline inbetween, which have made the odd play for the NW (some of the Bounce guys [its called Bounce, not Donk, Donk is the bassline] also make organ house & some of the bassline MCs hosted at some Bounce things), but let's face it, neither was going to sit next to Italo, Makina, Bounce etc wholesale, let alone that happening with Grime, Dubstep or UK Funky. However, Jackin, with that central sorta-mainstreamy electro house sound & with tunes that sometimes sound more electro, sometimes more garagey, sometimes more Wigan Pier, is both that little bit more Londony to go down alright darn sarf & that little bit more donky to go down alright up norf & hence, all these posts re Marcus Nasty at one end & at the other, lo & beyond....a night in Fleetwood of all places (& doubtless not the only one) advertising commercial stuff, bounce & jackin all side by side! I've not made it there yet & they haven't responded to my attempts to get them in to my radio show, but it could be a false dawn...or it could be the completing of a 20 year circle!

philblackpool

gamelanstep
Well remembered! Not a physical copy as yet, but my blog now has about three or four entries on it, the most recent being the youtubes someone has eventually loaded of all the tracks plus the label scans, so we're close to done on the historical research!! I don't know if you saw the one about one of the guys behind it getting in touch & saying he hasn't got a copy himself? He hasn't yet sent me all the tunes by himself that he was threatening to burn for me.

I was going to say I'm still after knowing what number 7 & 8 on the label are, but then I did my usual little check & although I've had to adjust it so it sits in the right place, if you look at the label on Discogs now, it seems Canopy also did another one on Space which Shaun neglected to mention to me (also 95 jungle - ooo!), featuring Winston from the label & his sister (?) - the (probably not very) mysterious Winston fascinates me, due to the looooong history in midlands music I pieced together on his part...The legend goes on!

philblackpool

gamelanstep
But wow man, wouldn't it be beautiful ;-)

Yeah I'm obviously being a bit playful here, but this must be the closest I've seen to the circle being closed in the NW in all the years I've been here: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Infinity-presents-Dirty-Beatz/536985852979271 . I know what you mean totally re happy hardcore/hardstyle, but then that runs separately as well as in conjunction with bounce up here, the bounce lot have always seemed a bit dubious to me about getting TOO heavy, barring a flirtation with tartan techno in the mid 90s. Now Bounce runs separately AND in conjunction with Jackin as well, at the other end :-D . I also know what you mean re differences in 'sonic output' & 'following' but am far too innocent to know what you mean by 'scene structure' - school me! :-D

philblackpool

gamelanstep
Ahh, you mean like garage etc do's might suggest an element of classiness on their flyers whereas hardcore ones hint at chemical excess etc? They both favour pictures of scantily clad women & goofy typography though :) Here's the resulting cut n shut from an event in Manchester last year that totally passed me by until now, seemingly involving some jackers from Preston who I'm also blissfuly unaware of & will chase up...

http://flyers.krafty.info/2012.06.30/combined.jpg

NATO

Fully enjoying this mix today:

https://soundcloud.com/safehouse-3/safehouse-residents-vol-21

It's not packed full of unreleased tunes or anything, but it does just bang.

Also I really want to compile a list of Jackin' UK Garage remixes, but not getting v.far yet:

Trouble - Tom Garnett & Lorenzo
Bump'n'grind - Benzo, Sambuca, Paul
Sincere - Pete Ellis & Lorenzo (this one's shit)

that's it from my memory, must be loads more though?

wise

bare BARE BONES
Ill Phil & Alex Lister - Lucky 2013 Remix (A Little Bit Of Luck)
Jekyll n Hyde - Troublesome
The Streets - Lets Push Things Forward (Hostage Remix)
2-Bad - Jackacake (Original Mix)
Benzo Paul Lawrence - Walk On By
Billy Kenny & Chris Gresswell - Diamond Rings
Hannah Wants - Nexx vs Sorry mashup
CoLdCuTs - Original Pirate Material
Davey Ecko Thomas Graham - Lickrish Bass
Ill Phil & Lorenzo - Ripped-Groove VIP Mix
Nick Hannam - Brandy & Coke
Yan - You Dont Know Me

Ashley B - Dancehall Queen (Original Mix) ( a bit shit )

Last edited:

trilliam

man-shot-stomach-circoloco-music-event-birmingham