New College of the Humanities

IdleRich

IdleRich
It's interesting that everyone's slating Grayling and Dawkins, though. Is it just taken as read that Niall Ferguson's an odious pissflap?
A lot of the debate does seem to feature people saying things like "Surprised about these guys selling out (except for Ferguson obviously)".

IdleRich

IdleRich
I read that at the time and I thought that the way it ended up being a personal attack on Dawkins' and Gralying's academic philosophies rather undermined a few decent points and brought it down from being a matter of principle to a childish spat.

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
I'd imagine that it's partly an indirect riposte to the ongoing insinuation throughout the tuition fees debate that while engineering, statistics, biochemistry and so on are useful subjects that do good for the nation, the humanities basically contribute nothing to society apart from a way for thick kids to stay off the dole for three years while watching daytime TV and smoking pot.
Speaking of which:
"The government also wants to see courses that are not valued by employers either scrapped or overhauled."
http://www.guardian.co.uk/education/2011/jun/28/university-reforms-dead-end-courses-named-shamed

Remember kids - if it doesn't make money IT HAS NO VALUE!

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
this government is simply unbelievable. who voted these idiots in:mad::mad:

The thing is, a Tory govt is obviously going to benefit the very rich and screw over the poorest and most vulnerable, I mean it's a no-brainer. But most people are neither very rich nor very poor, and a huge chunk of this demographic (call it "middle England" if you like, to the extent that that means anything) has been hoodwinked by the right-wing press into believing the Tories represent their best interests too - but clearly, they don't. It'll be interesting to see what happens to Tory support among middle-class/middle-income voters over the next couple of years as they see what happens to the education system (I mean schools, university fees being already a lost cause of course), the NHS, local amenities, the environment (the forest sell-off, anyone?) and even core Conservative issues like police numbers. I mean, what kind of Tory voter wants to see coppers sacked en masse? With high unemployment, benefits being slashed left right and centre and any chance of a university education flying out of the window for many people whose parents aren't loaded, things aren't looking good for crime stats before you even factor in a reduction in police numbers. As ye sow, so shall ye reap...

don_quixote

Trent End
imagine being a gcse student nowadays; the guy in charge of education has basically said their exams are a doddle, that what they are planning to do next year is not worth it, they won't pay you to do them anymore, and that when they want to go to university they have to pay £9k a year, and they won't be allowed to pick something they enjoy, they will have to do something an employer thinks is worthwhile.

meanwhile baby boomers collect the pensions we are paying for.