Leo

yikes that's really sad.

i hope rough trade won't be next. i reckon that only a 1/4 of people who wander in there buy anything.

other is a great store. good guys who run it too, not the stereotypical snobby clerks. can't count the number of artists and genres they've turned me on to. if memory serves, i believe they even stocked some woebot cds over the years.

there's almost no place to go record shopping in manhattan anymore, especially for new releases. a-1 is good but all used vinyl, turntable lab is tiny and expensive, downtown music gallery had to move to a crappy basement in chinatown and not sure they'll last much longer, and academy has a small stock of just used stuff.

rough trade in brooklyn has a live performance space to help pay the bills. some record labels use it as a showcase spot, so i believe they might even help subsidize the space in some way. still a bunch of used vinyl stores in brooklyn, but overall the NY record store scene is terrible.

luka

Prescient thread. The process is complete. London has never been this square, this uncool in my lifetime. During the thatcher years London was a centre of resistance. Poll tax riots and the glc, in the Cameron years it was Boris Johnson's centre of power. Grime was the last music, the end of an era. Now it's food and fashion. Kids aspiring to be photographers and food bloggers. City of squares.

luka

The Olympics was the coronation of the square. Team GB. The conquest of East London. The colonialists moment of total triumph. RIP London. Leave it to the careerists.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Our only hope is that Brexit scares the banks away and house prices tumble. On the down side this might plunge UK into the abyss, but OTOH, London might be more interesting.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Phew, that's alright then.

My brother lives in Sydney, he likes it there but then he doesn't really do music or going out.

comelately

Wild Horses
The Olympics was the coronation of the square. Team GB. The conquest of East London. The colonialists moment of total triumph. RIP London. Leave it to the careerists.

The fanfare of the Night Tube has been pretty funny: although it will help people get to and from Shoreditch/Bethnal Green, it doesn't feel like much of a revolution. One suspects more late night restaurants like Duck & fucking Waffle are on the way, rather than a nightclub resurgence. Though maybe there is now the opportunity for nights in Zone 4/5 areas to get a bit more attention?

rubberdingyrapids

but that wasnt why it was shut down.
if it was shut down on grounds of being a bit shit, then people might actually have been less angry.
apart from the people getting paid to play/work there.

CrowleyHead

Well that's why pattycakes is basically saying "Who Cares?"

I don't know why any of my fellow Americans are trying to say "OMG NO, SO SAD :_(" b/c like they've done fuck all to help Fabric or Fabric really affects their lives beyond occasional tourism.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
As much as I didn't like going to Fabric (tourists, dodgy ppl, drink prices etc.), I think it is an important club for London cos it's run by people who are obviously really into music and book interesting and exciting lineups. For example one of my mates used to run a record label, never was a huge deal but Fabric was the one club that invited them to do a room for the night.

Also its closure is obviously of concern to ppl because of what it symbolises for London's nightlife, for London in general, potentially even (if you read that Independent story) for the UK in general, and certainly for what it tells us about our outmoded drugs laws.

Also most of the nights I went to at Fabric were DNB nights and therefore were a priori shit and dodgy.

luka

I saw dizzee there. That was probably the last time. Over ten years ago now. Took a pill. Didn't die.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
It really is staggering how many people take ecstasy and don't die:

Estimate of number of ppl who took ecstasy in 2007/8: 470,000

Number of recorded deaths in which ecstasy was the only substance implicated: 10

Number of recorded deaths where ecstasy was implicated alongside other drugs: 37

http://www.drugwise.org.uk/ecstasy/

And considering this is an illegal drug which is liable to be contaminated with all sorts of horrible chemicals (which wouldn't be a problem if it was legal, of course)...

rubberdingyrapids

isnt a lot of modern ecstasy much stronger though?

though maybe that just makes your case more, as if its stronger, and the number of deaths are still low...

last time i went to fabric was oddly for my work do - they booked the whole club for us to drink lots of cocktails and do shit karaoke (but before that it was to see BBK, mark one, and various other ppl.. or maybe rusko, im not sure)

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
isnt a lot of modern ecstasy much stronger though?

There are some banging pills around at the moment, for sure (er, I heard), but I doubt they're stronger than what was around ca. 1990.

But that's beside the point, because fatal ODs on MDMA alone are virtually unheard-of. The tragic spate of deaths over the last few years is due to pills with PMA or PMMA in them, which are many times more toxic than MDMA. Doesn't stop the press blaming it all on "killer ecstasy", of course.

Were the deaths at Fabric unequivocally drug-related, anyone know?

Last edited: