Paris

Slothrop

Tight but Polite
I never really got the hype with Paris - it always just seemed like a smaller more parochial version of London, but with bland, tasteful, repetitive architecture and expensive beer. What have I been missing?

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Fell in love with espresso in Paris - it's the reason I'm a junkie now. The universal high standard is a thing of beauty.

lol @Slothrop - I wouldn't disagree entirely, but sometimes it just hits you between the eyes with overwhelming aesthetic beauty.

blacktulip

Pregnant with mandrakes
I don't rate Paris for coffee, really.

That said, I have found out about a few potentially good places recently. Going back in January so will see then. They are: Soluna Cafés, Brûlerie Lapeyronie, and Cafés Verlet.

Also I love Rose Bakery, though not so much for the coffee.

IdleRich

IdleRich
"I never really got the hype with Paris - it always just seemed like a smaller more parochial version of London, but with bland, tasteful, repetitive architecture and expensive beer. What have I been missing?"
Smaller if you count just the town centre but it's about the same size if you can the Banlieus, probably bigger in fact. And I don't know if it's more parochial as such, there certainly seems to be an almost equally diverse group of people there - just amongst the people I've met in my friend's group there are French, Moroccans, Africans, a couple of Iraqis etc etc and the city as a whole seems to have quite a similar attitude to London. Or at least that's how it feels to me.
I guess the music scene isn't as diverse, or indeed, as good but the food is great and varied and there are farmers' markets that aren't trendy but that are just there because they've always been there.
The architecture isn't as varied but it's more beautiful so it's kinda swings and roundabouts on that one.

Numbers

Dunno if it's what you're looking for, but a visit to the Chateaubriand has been on my to do-list for months. Unfortunately, I don't find the time for a weekend-trip to Paris. Anyway, it's a highly-acclaimed bistro that is shaking the traditional french cuisine up-down and not too expensive (let's say, for to five beers).

For music, friends went to the GRM Festival "Présences Électroniques" and said it was great. They have some more concerts this month: link. But I guess that's only if you're into electro-acoustics.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
I don't rate Paris for coffee, really.

I was a bit of a coffee neophyte back then, so may be romanticising it. Where would you say is best for coffee, worldwide? I've found Spanish stuff amazing personally, and Mokarabia is wonderful in terms of brands.

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
I was a bit of a coffee neophyte back then, so may be romanticising it. Where would you say is best for coffee, worldwide? I've found Spanish stuff amazing personally, and Mokarabia is wonderful in terms of brands.

New Zealand and Australia have been fucking AMAZING for coffee, NZ probably more so. Well impressed.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Yeah, I know the Kiwis are big on coffee. That Flat White place is alright - prefer Monmouth Coffee and Violet in Dalston and Jason who sells coffee on Broadway Market.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Off-topic, but if whichever company provides the coffee in Istanbul Airport took over every coffee place in the world, it would be no bad thing.

blacktulip

Pregnant with mandrakes

I always liked Monmouth when I lived in London, but a cup of expertly-prepared Blue Mountain in Tokyo 5 years ago made me aware that there was a hell of a lot more to it.

Couple of years back a bunch of guys opened a roastery and a couple of cafes here in Helsinki with the attitude that there was as much complexity to coffee as there is to wine. That was an eye-opener too and forced me to up the game at home with Aeropress and hand-drip Hario goodies. And, it goes without saying, a grinder and scales.

We went back to London this year around May. Very impressed with the Australian and NZ influence and we spent a lot of time in places like Allpress and St Ali (which takes the prize if only for their breakfasts). Of course there are imitators galore and even the flat white I had in Ottolenghi was pretty average.

Just back from Italy. It was nice to see a fairly high standard of espresso virtually everywhere but the nu-geek details like cleaning the filter handle between shots weren't in place generally and you could taste it. Different culture, though. What can you say?

Of everywhere, though, I would recommend South Korea. There was a roastery on damned near every corner - even in a dead alley in some backwoods town you could get a hand drip coffee from freshly roasted beans. Insane.

blacktulip

Pregnant with mandrakes
Huh? Is tea an evening-only drink for you? How strange.

Coffee takes priority for me in the day time. Then a nice tea in the evening.

BTW are you into green tea, Mr Tea? That is another chapter (though a bit neglected around here of late).

IdleRich

IdleRich
My girlfriend used to live in Korea and she has never mentioned the coffee there to me at all - how remiss of her, I'm gonna have to take her to task on that one.

"Just back from Italy. It was nice to see a fairly high standard of espresso virtually everywhere but the nu-geek details like cleaning the filter handle between shots weren't in place generally and you could taste it. Different culture, though. What can you say?"
The filter handle, what's that? I'd have thought that cleaning the thing between every shot would tend to decrease the depth of flavour.
What about coffee in Ethiopia and other countries nearby, after all, that's where it originated?

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I like it, but it could never replace 'normal' tea for me.

Lady Grey is probably my favourite, that stuff is divine.

blacktulip

Pregnant with mandrakes
The filter handle, what's that? I'd have thought that cleaning the thing between every shot would tend to decrease the depth of flavour.
What about coffee in Ethiopia and other countries nearby, after all, that's where it originated?

I think people call it the portafilter too. It is the thing with the handle that you put the ground coffee into - then it's plugged into the machine.

But no. Actually, not at all. The flavour of coffee grounds that have already been extracted an indeterminate amount of time ago is not a flavour you want in your espresso.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Still got some friends there. Detlef/Tolouse Lowtrax is gonna play Lisbon in a couple of months and we'll try and swing it to play the reverse fixture in Paris - though who am I kidding, most likely Liza will go and i won't... forget I said anything.