OFFiCiAL RiFF RAFF APPRECiATiON THREAD

UFO over easy

online mahjong
where's the distancing? i dont see it. he wants to work with everyone.

besides lil b, soulja boy etc are already big in 'hip' circles

luka

tattooing your neck with a gaudy mtv logo doesnt seem like 'distancing' the world has changed and you lot are still looking at it through '90s lenses.

FairiesWearBoots

tattooing your neck with a gaudy mtv logo doesnt seem like 'distancing' the world has changed and you lot are still looking at it through '90s lenses.

QFT. bravo Luka

I have tried to make sense of current hip hop through my '93 till infinity shades' and it doesnt make sense at all.
the world has changed, hip hop has changed (forever - like it or not)
trying to reference this stuff is impossible, there's no lineage.
better to take it at face value and enjoy it, and wow the A$AP rocky tape is gooooood when you have had a wee smoke

grizzleb

This is brilliant, some of his lines are fucking hilarious and there's something good about his flow. I don't know too much about Gucci/Wacka style shit, though my little bro is really into them, I'll ask him what he makes of this.

SecondLine

Yeah you're right, in thinking about what I wrote I realised it doesn't really apply to this situation at all. Sorry.

As someone who knows next to nothing about hip hop I find this whole swag, kinda hip/kinda ghetto not-a-joke-but-not-deadly-earnest calculatedly hamfisted (like a lot of Lil B's delivery..?) thing really confusing. it's so 21C. This guy's videos make for compulsive watching though.

grizzleb

Yeah, it's kind of the opposite of ironic distance, it's like seeing the impossibility of fully assuming a role and thereby more fully assuming your role by a more fastidious maintainance thereof.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
there's an interview from 2009 where he says he started rapping '4 months ago', and is doing it so he can retire early. He's an opportunist more than a pisstaker, clearly, and some of his stuff is quite good. Reinds me a bit of the conversations around Die Antwoort, though they were much more open to charges of pisstaking, it seemed to me.

luka

lets force him to slackk. with bribes or violence. lets be the machivelian mcclarens behind his rise to rap stardom.

luka

So did Kreayshawn's.

this is true. dissensus also totally misunderstood kreayshawn too as they didnt have the right categories for her. im not telling you to like the music or even the man, im just saying understand it for what it is. be accurate. dont be lazy.

outraygeous

I remember working in Cecil Gee and Vinny Jones bringing one of those shirts back as it was damaged. Not the same print obviously.

Just thought Id add that

luka

he is my style icon ray. i always modeled myself on vinny, sartorially speaking.

Roshman

You've probably all seen it already and it's not specifically relevant to Riff Raff. But this is this probably my favourite track out of all this non-effort dump rap.

The second half (Trippin Mane)