Scary movie thread

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
I see no-one picked up on Christine/dead zone/king there. Theyre all just a bit naff arent they? Salems lot is the only non-Kubrick Stephen King thing thats genuinely scary in parts, and even that is mostly naff (David Soul), though it was directed by Tobe Hooper.

The Dead Zone is Cronenburg's follow-up to Videodrome!

The ITV adaptation of The Turn of the Screw is really quite good.

Angel Dust, a 90s(?) Japanese film that someone on here recommended, is very eerie in parts.

Walkabout is eerie as fuck, come to think of it.

Last edited:
D

droid

Uzumaki sounds good:

I will have to plan this year out more in depth I think.

Skip the film. The comic is great. Same with Tomie. I posted a great Junji Ito short story up here a few years back. One of his creepiest moments IMO.

computer_rock

I too enjoyed Event Horizon. I guess it's a kind of rip-off of Solaris. Kind of. What's that other film that is almost exactly the same where they find a spaceship under the sea with a huge magic ball at the centre? It's rubbish anyway.

Yeah I guess Solaris or 2001 are the main reference points for the 'trapped in space' horror scenario. Alien, Event Horizon - Sunshine is another one. And Pandorum but I haven't seen that. I dunno what the one under the sea you mentioned is though....

edit - videodrome is still really, really disturbing.

IdleRich

IdleRich
The Sphere is the one I meant yeah.
I think that Event Horizon is influenced by Solaris in more than just that it's about people (kinda) trapped in space, doesn't he start seeing his dead wife? That's got to be a homage to Solaris. Sphere is pretty much a homage to EH.
I like Cronenborg but I don't find his stuff scary, or at least not in the way that I understood this thread to mean.

computer_rock

yea you are right there are definitely more than just broad similarities. particularly the idea of

*solaris spoilers / event horizon spoilers*

a sentient *thing* (planet/spaceship) manipulating people with the intention of trapping them on/within.

i'm sure this scenario occurs in other films too (haunted house??) but i can't think of any off the top of my head (obv 2001 gain)

edit the more i think about it EH is basically an inverted solaris. i bet that's exactly what they pitched the studio

Last edited:

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
I think the only other film that has done terror - i like and have watched all the films said here, but would really make a distinction between horror - creepy - and terror - genuine, transferable malevolence - would be David Ayer's Harsh Times. On a completely different tip from all this - LA drugs n cops whatever film, but its a deeply bad ride.Same with Ayer's Training Day, but darker. There's an internal wrongness to both which is remarkably hard to do.

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
I come back to the Harsh Times film alot. Something to do with transmissable evil and atmosphere whilst grounded in logic.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Candyman is brilliant. Not sure it scared me so much, it was just an excellent and ambitious film, totally different to the passable slasher I'd expected.

has anyone seen Deadgirl? In researching scary movies, i came across it (pun not intended).

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
some guys frind an undead woman in a locked building and take turns raping her - after that the plot gets quite unbelievable.

Haha!

Mind you, I can see what you mean. This might be an untapped area of survivors-of-zombie-holocaust psychology.

nochexxx

harco pronting
last night i watched a movie, which genuinely scared the crap out of me, but tbf, that probably says more about the state of my mental health, rather than the movie being generally 'scary'. it's called Catfish, and after watching the trailer i felt compelled to watch more so than any other film for quite sometime. supposedly, it's a documentary, which gives it that scary edge (is it, isnt it?) , but it seems too slick. i get the feeling this film is a real divider.

ensuite

Lake Mungo's a good one that I haven't seen mentioned in here, there's one scene in particular that scared the everliving shit out of me