Bollywood

rubberdingyrapids

if you want an 'in' into bollywood, or indian cinema in general - not everything is 'bollywood', and arent sure about musicals, maybe check out omkara (hindi adapation of othello) or maqbool (hindi version of macbeth). both are brilliant. still longer than your average western film, but totally worth it imo. if you want something a bit closer to european arthouse, mr and mrs iyer is really great, and issue driven too (could also check out salaam bombay or bandit queen along similar lines).

Last edited:

Client Eastwood

I'll try to chase up some of the film links. Been a long time since I have seen any Bollywood films. The last one was Lagaan which is worth a watch, not exactly arty but well filmed.

Back to thread just want to post this tune. Bongotastic and mad video to boot.

IdleRich

IdleRich
If you want a classic Indian film then The World of Apu is a horrendously depressing art-house film trilogy that reminds you of Kurosawa or something. Couldn't be much further from the western idea of bollywood cheese (it's not bollywood obviously).

Client Eastwood

If you want a classic Indian film then The World of Apu is a horrendously depressing art-house film trilogy that reminds you of Kurosawa or something. Couldn't be much further from the western idea of bollywood cheese (it's not bollywood obviously).

I read the book a while ago http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pather_Panchali_(novel). I've got the DVD trilogy but not watched it all yet. I saw about 1/2 of the first DVD and yeah it's pretty grim and if its true to the book it's going to get moreso.

Roshman

Fantastic trilogy.

Last edited: