recomend some DJs

Benny Bunter

You can probably file it under the "obvious" section, but Marcus Nasty puts on a great show for rinse every Wednesday. It's my only port of call for UK funky and I suspect he's the best DJ in that scene to chose. The only problem is I never know the name of the tunes he plays

Used to love Marcus Nasty's show, but got bored when he started playing all "UK bass" sounding stuff, ie; big distorted bassline instrumentals. Got a bit oppressive. Dunno what he plays now, haven't checked him for ages, maybe I should. He definitely was the best UK Funky DJ though, no question.

The only Funky sets I've been checking out recently have been Funkystepz and they are always fantastic fun, full of their own productions. Maxsin isn't the best DJ technically, but its still thrilling to hear these tunes hurtling past at an alarming rate, slamming them in like a garage DJ would. Proper UK style of DJing, luvvit.

Last edited:

tom lea

Used to love Marcus Nasty's show, but got bored when he started playing all "UK bass" sounding stuff, ie; big distorted bassline instrumentals. Got a bit oppressive. Dunno what he plays now, haven't checked him for ages, maybe I should. He definitely was the best UK Funky DJ though, no question.
to be fair, i hear more funky with big distorted basslines than i do in 'uk bass' or whatever.

jook 10, naughty raver, shay and sinista, carneo - i really like all of them as producers (obviously), but they all use rowdy distorted basslines (the latest t. williams single on echufada does too, if you want to count him as funky), and i agree it can get a bit much when a dj plays a lot of that stuff in a row.

anyway, self-promotion and all: if anyone in this thread's looking for dj mixes, i did deja vu solo for the first time in ages the other day and it was nice to spread out - plenty of hip-hop, heavy funky stuff (batu, beneath, champion etc) and some bassline house. linked it here, anyway: http://dejavufm.com/2012/02/27/local-action-feb-17-2012/

Tracklist:
Project Pat & Nasty Mane – Nobody
d’Eon – Hype Williams remix
Wiz Khalifa feat. Juicy J – My Favourite Song
Spaceghostpurrp – Mystical Maze
John Talabot – H.O.R.S.E.
jj – Believe
Redshape – The Land
R. Kelly – Pregnant remix
Steven A. Clark – Love Effortlessly
Spaceghostpurrp – Twistin
Tyrese – I Ain’t Tryna
Gucci Mane & V-Nasty – Whip Appeal
Mane Mane – Skin Fox
R. Kelly feat. K Michelle – Echo remix
Locked Groove – Rooted
Thomas Brinkmann – Isch
Huxley – Harmless Frustration
Randomer – Get Yourself Together
Beneath – Still Hurts
Batu – 105.6
Sunday Roast – Peng Motion
Unknown – Unknown
Mistamen – Daylight Robbery
Unknown – Unknown
Mickey Pearce – Don’t Ask, Don’t Get
Artifact – Brittle Bones [Local Action]
Champion – Medium Drink
Beneath – Name Droppin
Damu – It Wants to Snow
Throwing Snow – Darqa
Slackk – Fat City [Local Action]

Benny Bunter

to be fair, i hear more funky with big distorted basslines than i do in 'uk bass' or whatever.

jook 10, naughty raver, shay and sinista, carneo - i really like all of them as producers (obviously), but they all use rowdy distorted basslines (the latest t. williams single on echufada does too, if you want to count him as funky), and i agree it can get a bit much when a dj plays a lot of that stuff in a row.

]

well I really meant stuff like Jook 10 when I said 'UK bass' to be honest. Its not a term I like to use but i keep seeing it around to describe these distorted funky tracks, at places like ukfunky.com for example.

That new T Williams tune 'Malfunction' is a good tune, I generally like his stuff.

outraygeous

been waiting to post this for ages but if you check the 900 plus channels on sky, one of them plays back to back Ed Case tracks that may or never made it out

Jamie who was involved in middle row moved over to the adult industry when the garage bubble burst

Blackdown

nexKeysound
Ahaha, I remember him, he really had something going with Middle Row. That Battle of the MCs project (here and here) was well ahead of its time, he was talking about getting a video game done, MCs as artists and characters. Funny where he ended up working... Pretty sure he was going out with Femme Fatale at the time, which made him the envy of a lot of DJs lol.

Best DJ I saw last year was Dubbel Dutch by far. Really interesting selection, great mixing and tempo wise he jumped all over the place without it ever seeming forced. Highly recommended if you get a chance to see him or a podcast or whatever.

And obviously myself as well, ha;

Radiowise, I think Brackles has the best show on Rinse these days personally. Spooky is always good on Deja, will always recommend that show.

I'll second whoever said Seb Chew as well, great show that.

Blackdown

nexKeysound
DJs I listen to regularly, dont think they're any surprises here:

United Vibez (Vibezin + Amen Ra LHF) on Sub FM
Hyperdub Show
Butterz show
Oneman
Brackles
Bok Bok
Marcus Nasty
Logan Sama

Always trying to get more UK funky shows in my life. I quite like those Jook10 tracks but they are increasingly going a little bit Bad Company. One's fine, a whole scene would be too hard/stiff for me personally.

PadaEtc

Emperor Penguin
As already mentioned Alex Nut and Moxie are good.

Big fan of The BPM aka Thristen aka Dark n Lovely aka Global Roots aka Mr Boiler Room, although the quality was higher on the Hold Box Flat podcasts than the weekly shows on NTS but to be expected I suppose. Also listen to Mr Wonderful aswell as a few others from NTS.

Floating Points does a great Theo Parrish impression and Benji B's show is still quality.

S

simon silverdollar

i really like Roska's rinse sets. he has a format which he sticks to pretty rigidly- hard instrumental/soft vocal tune/ hard instrumental etc. but it works.

Marcus is on another level than everyone else these days for me.

I don't really feel that much like he's abusing those bass heavy tracks, he usually plays the whole spectrum of what UK funky is for me. But then again a year ago a lot of peolple was saying he was going the deep house route and I didn't feel it that way either. He definitely has an in-your-face way of djing but that's what I like about him, every time I find a track that I'm used to hear him play, I'm left dissapointed cause it doesn't sound quite like when he was playing it.

Other than the usual people, I'm feelin Selecta Skills mixes a lot, proper real dj in every sense of the word. Jewlsy as well, not only for the Devine fresh stuff, but wicked dj overall.

Benny Bunter

Marcus is on another level than everyone else these days for me.

I don't really feel that much like he's abusing those bass heavy tracks, he usually plays the whole spectrum of what UK funky is for me. But then again a year ago a lot of peolple was saying he was going the deep house route and I didn't feel it that way either. He definitely has an in-your-face way of djing but that's what I like about him, every time I find a track that I'm used to hear him play, I'm left dissapointed cause it doesn't sound quite like when he was playing it.

Other than the usual people, I'm feelin Selecta Skills mixes a lot, proper real dj in every sense of the word. Jewlsy as well, not only for the Devine fresh stuff, but wicked dj overall.

I had a listen to the most recent Marcus show this morning after the discussion here, and he was indeed playing less of those distorto-bass things. If anything there was a lot of really garagey tracks, with snares on the 2 and 4 and chopped up vocals. Quite summery sounding actually! i think you're right to point out he goes through phases of different stuff. Hopefully he's back on form now (ie; playing what I want to hear lol).

Benny Bunter

He definitely has an in-your-face way of djing but that's what I like about him, every time I find a track that I'm used to hear him play, I'm left dissapointed cause it doesn't sound quite like when he was playing it.

This. And the fact that the sound system Rinse uses (and the heavy radio compression) makes everything sound massive.

Elijah

Butterz
Champion (Would be good if he had a radio show)
The Heatwave (Every Sunday on Rinse)
Redlight (Every other Thursday)

Josey Rebelle aint been mentioned yet..

T Williams is also good check his fact mix.

benw

Am I right in thinking that he's no longer on Rinse?
(No shots for Rinse, just trying to find out where I can hear recent sets from him, his mixcloud page doesn't seem to have been updated for quite a while either).

Dunno about mixes but I know he's got a Rush Hour release in the pipeline so hopefully that'll lead to some new mixes?