Festivals

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
Happy birthday!

"Right to Facebook" is crazy talk, man.

Lol. ..Dunno if I was sayin that...dont think there's a right to facebook - I'm not even on it - but I was enjoying reading what was happening with BLOC's open thread as more and more people came on to complain, weird Chinese whispers type stuff.

SecondLine

hucks

Your Message Here
so according to the met it wasn't oversold, just poorly planned. people sheltering from the rain caused pinch points -

http://dummymag.com/news/2012/07/07/bloc-2012/

either way, facking glad I didn't go

Well they might have shut it cos of the rain, but the whole thing was shit anyway. There's no way it wasn't oversold, though. You couldn't get into any of the arenas, and there were hundreds of people still queueing outside.

Wasn't dangerous, wasn't nightmarish, just shit. I left at 11 having drunk one beer and got into no tents. I danced to Ray Keith who was djing on the waltzers. He played "The Lighter". Obviously. Wasn't raining when I left.

Last edited:

Dusty

Tone deaf
No, that is bollocks. There was no issue caused by the rain. There were thousands and thousands of people trying to get into venues that were too small. It wasnt even raining by the time the problems began.

The worst part of it all, and something ive not yet seen addressed is that Ray Keith was cut off in mid-drop bang on 10.30. Presumably due to the noise.

The express bar and ableton bars had no music in the evening. That entire section of the site was in stoney silence, and you had a stream of people making the 5 minute walk to find themselves in the arse-end of nowhere with nothing to do. So poorly thought out, it boggles the mind.

I apologise for the poor punctuation, im blaming ipad typing skills.

zhao

there are no accidents
FUSION was very very awesome!

gopr9537.jpg

mistersloane

And frankly just smacks of corruption between Newham Council and police to keep the venue open at all costs.

jackjambie

Voodoo Priest
the mind boggles - but yes, no rain when the trouble started, there was definitely an issue with the ticket scanner (ours weren't scanned, think we were some of the last ppl let in) and they were shutting the whole thing down from the moment we got in pretty much (10pm-ish after 2hrs queuing...the stubnitz was already shut which is a shame cos it looked banging)

very odd. it was definitely overcrowded and it felt really claustrophobic from the start. i was already saying 'it's really bad here' way before they officially shut it all down.

shackleton was pretty banging, but had to break in to the fucking RA tent to see him.

something went really wrong.

hucks

Your Message Here
Oh dear. “Well we used to cater for 6,000 experiences at once and now we’re providing 15,000 – this to me looks like a manifest improvement, thought I suppose it does depend on your experience of experiences.”

Christ, WHAT a prick

mistersloane

the mind boggles - but yes, no rain when the trouble started, there was definitely an issue with the ticket scanner (ours weren't scanned, think we were some of the last ppl let in) and they were shutting the whole thing down from the moment we got in pretty much (10pm-ish after 2hrs queuing...the stubnitz was already shut which is a shame cos it looked banging)

very odd. it was definitely overcrowded and it felt really claustrophobic from the start. i was already saying 'it's really bad here' way before they officially shut it all down.

shackleton was pretty banging, but had to break in to the fucking RA tent to see him.

something went really wrong.

Yeah I stayed right by the exit in the main tent cos I didn't trust what was going on. It felt wrong from about 8, when they were making people queue for the main tent while it was empty.
There are loads more events/festivals booked for Pleasure Gardens. Something is going to go badly, badly wrong there if they're not careful. It's worrying.

wonk_vitesse

radio eros
It's all about capacity don't let anyone tell you otherwise. Yes the queues to get in were rubbish, the drinks were overpriced, the site wasn't exactly finished but simple truth is there were too many people for the venues. Yes it was a big site but there wasn't anything else really going on other than in the boat and arenas.

Makes London look a money grabbing shambles. How brilliant was the Fusion festival i agree propa 24hr madness :cool:

Leo

dumb question: why would they make people wait outside of an empty tent? what was the point of that?

mistersloane

dumb question: why would they make people wait outside of an empty tent? what was the point of that?

Presumably they hadn't worked out that they could get it 2/3 full and then start limiting the people coming in, that's a guess. At the time it felt unfathomable - and meant we missed half of Amon Tobin's set. I'm sure he wouldn't be pleased to know that people were prevented from coming to see his work. It just felt like the security were overwhelmed and didn't know what they were doing.

There's an announcement on the website here calling for people's experiences

http://www.blocweekend.com/

and a decent piece in the Guardian.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/music/2012/jul/09/bloc-weekend-2012?newsfeed=true

tox

Factory Girl
We went down to Bloc pretty early, managed to get onto Stubnitz and stayed there for hours and hours in the Boiler Room showcase. Made the mistake of getting off the boat about midnight, having had no idea of the chaos in between. Left shortly afterwards.

There was so much wrong with the festival:queuing, crap sound, overpriced beer, not enough bars, no security, half-finished site... It was looking pretty shit compared to the likes of Sonar/Melt/Worldwide even without the overcrowding issues.

Nice atmosphere in London on Saturday and Sunday though, with ex-Blocers wandering around. Got a free sympathy pint in Hackney on the Saturday, then headed down to Plastic People for Theo, which was almost entirely full of Bloc ticket holders. Heard good things about the free nights down at XOYO and Rhythm Factory as well (the Hyperdub Party looked rammed when we went past at 3am Saturday am).

This is the moment they shut down the Stubnitz: http://ms.stubnitz.com/content/end-party-boddika