The music journalism hall of shame thread

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
lol. hopefully no one thinks trim invented this all by himself or that hes the only one who says this. if you know anyone from a caribbean background its pretty normal.

(from internet)
Actually "aks" comes from middle English and "ask" is modern English. Consider that the majority of slave plantations were owned by Americans with British roots and that explains it. "aks" was still widely used in England during the European/American slave trade period. It is called a metathesis, but it metathesized from "aks" to "ask", not vice-versa. To take it back to Old English, "ascian" and "axian/acsian" were both in use.

Other metathesized words in English* asteriks - asterisk* brid - bird* calavry - cavalry* comftable - comfortable* foiladge - foliage* intorduce - introduce* intergal - integral* revelant - relevant

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
(from internet)
Actually "aks" comes from middle English and "ask" is modern English. Consider that the majority of slave plantations were owned by Americans with British roots and that explains it. "aks" was still widely used in England during the European/American slave trade period. It is called a metathesis, but it metathesized from "aks" to "ask", not vice-versa. To take it back to Old English, "ascian" and "axian/acsian" were both in use.

Other metathesized words in English* asteriks - asterisk* brid - bird* calavry - cavalry* comftable - comfortable* foiladge - foliage* intorduce - introduce* intergal - integral* revelant - relevant

'Aks' still has some currency among white people in the West Country. Another is 'waps' for 'wasp'.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Also you could boil down a hell of a lot of Wurzels lyrics to "(hello moi luvver) look (at me)!"

Apparently a friend of a friend knows the Wurzels and ended up 'backstage' with them at Glastonbury years ago, doing lines off the rear wheel arch of their tractor. o_0

Patrick Swayze

I'm trying to shut up
that piece on road rap is confused. none of the guys in the video are 'relative unknowns' - if anything they're relatively well known (relative to how well known anyone in uk rap is)

it's not grime, and the constant attempt to draw links between the two genres is a failed conceit. most grime mcs made more hip hop tunes than they did grime, it was a radio genre. then when it went off the radio, rap emerged as the sole outlet. grime disappeared, 'road' rap didn't appear. "road rap is absorbing grime’s road energy into hip-hop’s traditions" nah grime absorbed hip hops street element. i.e. it's not a part of the any continuum other than british youth having liked hip hop for two decades now. it's not rave music.

the suggestions at the end are poor.

you don't seem to have a real interest in the genre other than a tangential desire to link it to a wider theory/make it somewhat derivative of genres you do like. shouldn't have written about it.

Patrick Swayze

I'm trying to shut up
@patrick, a little unnecessarily over the top, no?

everyone is entitled to their opinion, just thought that one could have been expressed a little differently.

fair enough I just signed up here so don't really know the conventions/unwritten rules. that said I thought what I said was quite restrained, I often get banned from forums for being too inflammatory when making a point.

plus I (at least used to) quite like uk rap and felt like blackdown's piece was slightly dishonest in its presentation, but had impressed people on here. only skimmed the thread. nothing personal or whatever.

SecondLine