Hollande whups Sarko!

luka

craner likes sarkozy though. they once shared a candlelit dinner for two in a little out the way bistro in provence.

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
France's exercise of soft and not-so-soft power in its old African colonies.

it's their way of feeling like they've still got a hand in the game as a major player. oh + to reap economic benefits from controlling the CFA zone. actually one of the things I'm curious to see about Hollande is his position on devaluing the CFA franc.

Mitterrand presided over both arming the Hutu regime before the genocide + even worse arguably trying to prop it up during the genocide (see: Operation Turquoise). Chirac presided over a very dubious intervention in the Ivory Coast civil war. etc etc. I do agree w/Craner junking some of that attitude was a positive but it's not like Sarko replaced it w/anything better.

Last edited:

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Bizarre - I've started brushing up my French in earnest this past week (for employment purposes), and it's the first time in a long while that France has been top of the international agenda. It makes reading Liberation more than just an academic exercise, which is very useful.

Last edited:

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
The is whole PKK assassination thing is straight out of Freddy Forsyth, isn't it?

What sort of employment are you looking at? The French economy's kind of fucked and looks like it's only going to get more fucked with Hollande at the wheel...

Last edited:

craner

Beast of Burden
Hitting Islamists in Mali makes slightly more sense than boosting Islamists in Libya. Mind you, Libya sprung this whole mess in the first place.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
The is whole PKK assassination thing is straight out of Freddy Forsyth, isn't it?

What sort of employment are you looking at? The French economy's kind of fucked and looks like it's only going to get more fucked with Hollande at the wheel...

There's quite a few jobs around to do with French-speaking Africa that look interesting - I've definitely got a better chance if I have confidence in my language skills, though I'm never gonna get near fluent.

I'd not heard about that demo. If only people would use all that energy to do something non-hateful.