Soul Jazz Records

polystyle

Soul Jazz NY Noise

Thanks Francesco
I use 'protoelectro' as tag for the music on the IMplog release ,
Ike Yard (could say prototechno perhaps as well)
ol' Boris Policeband (cheap 'toy' electro , of a sort) and Dark Day I included in the collection.

For the 'no wave' selecting the ol' story about Lydia Lunch bending Eno's ear about which groups to include - and not to include on 'No NY' had rattled through my brain for years.
Leaving out more of the downtown arty stuff that was a core of the scene was a disservice and mistake
and so I got in touch with UT to hold that part down (among other stuff).

Got permission to use a couple fresh Robert Longo 'Men In Cities' B&W drawings for front & bk of CD/Album , which SJ ok'ed .
This collection will prolly be rolled up into their NY Noise series

I dig that SJ also did a voudou' release ,
so i told them about The Voodooists which Stuart @ SJ picked up in Chicago the other week (lucky to find the Warlock 12" from '92).
The Voods were a quite unknown project we did with a 5th gen Haitian Voudou priest and his 2 mambo's bk starting in 1989 , obscure but not to say it wasn't pretty cool musik , still sounds good and coming up for rerelease .
Was great to work with them , wild and a bit scary . Respect those gnarly roots

xero

was minusone
Nick Gutterbreakz said:
Can't wait to see a tracklist for that Acid thing.

Acid - Can You Jack (Chicago Acid And Experimental House 1985-1995) (2xCD)
Released: May 9, 2005

Tracks
This Is Acid - Maurice
Do You Want To Percolate - Sweat Boyz
Go Wild Rhythm Tracks - Virgo
Beyond The Clouds - Mr. Fingers
Acid Crash - Tyree
Phuture Jacks - Phuture
Dum Dum - Fresh
Acid Bass - Davis, Roy
I've Lost Control - Sleezy D
Take Me Higher - Virgo
Box Energy - DJ Pierre
Video Clash - Lil' Louis
Acid Over - Tyree
Enforcer - Green Velvet
Like This - Two Of A kind
Downfall - Armando
Acid Trax - Phuture

S

simon silverdollar

that haitian voodoo drums cd that soul jazz put out is excellent- it sounds like villalobos! very clicky with sub-bass and restless tides of rhythm.

mpc

wasteman
fuck all this music reissue stuff.

when are they gonna reissue their black record bags with the yellow stripes?#

i've been after one for about a year.

francesco

Minerva Estassi
B0009HBF6M.02.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Obviously at least "Y" and expecially the masterpieces "learning to cope with cowardice" and "mark stewart", two of the greatest album ever, everyone should have those.

Any wayFrom the advert:

"This album spans the entire musical career of Mark Stewart, The Maffia and The Pop Group. Curated by Mark Stewart, Kiss the Future is a mixture of new material (with new collaborators such as The Bug, Sanjay T), classic material from the legendary Pop Group ('We are all Prostitutes', 'We Are Time', 'She Is Beyond Good and Evil') as well Stewart's groundbreaking solo-work from the 1980s to the present day with the legendary Sugarhill Records/Tommy Boy rhythm section (as The Maffia) along with producer Adrian Sherwood (On U Sound). With unlimited access to the vaults Kiss The Future also includes rare and unreleased material."

and the tracklist:
1 Radio Freedom*
2 Hypnotised
3 She's Beyond Good And Evil
4 Puppet Master*
5 Hysteria
6 Jerusalem
7 We Are All Prostitutes
8 High Ideals And Crazy Dreams
9 Liberty City
10 Dream Kitchen
11 We Are Time
12 Lunatics Are Taking Over The Asylum

Last edited:

zhao

there are no accidents
Nice Up the Forum

so "Nice UP the Dance" is a real snooze-fest to you guys? but do you realize how exciting it must be to someone who has never heard those tracks before? to someone who did not know about that first wave of "cross-over" sounds of the 80s and early 90s? to someone like me who does not know nearly as much about reggae as you people? I mean I love EVERY SINGLE FUCKING TRACK on that collection. and more importantly, I never really got into dancehall until I bought that album. this might be all very silly to you but Nice Up the Dance was the turning point for me, turning me into a dancehall junkie, and there's no turning back.

so what would you recommend to an ignorant newbie like me? I'm really into Sizzla right now. Maybe I should pick up that Xterminator collection? and I should probably get some Lady Saw and Ms. Thing albums. I also really like that "Altered" dancehall sound of the Bug and DJ Rupture...

Grievous Angel

Beast of Burden
I am a fan of and a defender of Soul Jazz even when they don't have sleevenotes :). I liked Studio One DVD too -- that's got to be worth a few missing liner notes.

I like the look of the Mark Stewart one, but I've already got most of those tunes. Eden has done the definitive writing about Mark Stewart.

They should put out a Mark Stewart live album. I have a tape of him and the Maffia supporting Swans at ULU in 1989 -- probably the best live show I've ever seen (apart from the Clash -- sorry Matt!). I should put it on the server for a bit. (Errr, Eden, do you have this?)

And we could do with a definitive Tackhead compo. The Power Inc ones don't quite cut it.

I also wish they'd do DJ-mix CDs instead of just compilations.

Voodoo-inspired dance music from 1989? Would love to hear that!

francesco

Minerva Estassi
confucius said:
so what would you recommend ?

Do you have the "101 dancehall" compilations vol 1 to 4 on VP records? Check them out on the web and see if they interest you, those are probably the best introduction available for dancehall (for what I know), together the 4th cd ond the "tougher than tough" box set.
Also a copy of the Steve Barrow "Rough Guide to Reggae" (the big book, not the small guide to essential records) is essential for exploring jamaican music, dancehall included.

mms

sometimes
francesco said:
B0009HBF6M.02.LZZZZZZZ.jpg

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Obviously at least "Y" and expecially the masterpieces "learning to cope with cowardice" and "mark stewart", two of the greatest album ever, everyone should have those.

Any wayFrom the advert:

"This album spans the entire musical career of Mark Stewart, The Maffia and The Pop Group. Curated by Mark Stewart, Kiss the Future is a mixture of new material (with new collaborators such as The Bug, Sanjay T), classic material from the legendary Pop Group ('We are all Prostitutes', 'We Are Time', 'She Is Beyond Good and Evil') as well Stewart's groundbreaking solo-work from the 1980s to the present day with the legendary Sugarhill Records/Tommy Boy rhythm section (as The Maffia) along with producer Adrian Sherwood (On U Sound). With unlimited access to the vaults Kiss The Future also includes rare and unreleased material."

and the tracklist:
1 Radio Freedom*
2 Hypnotised
3 She's Beyond Good And Evil
4 Puppet Master*
5 Hysteria
6 Jerusalem
7 We Are All Prostitutes
8 High Ideals And Crazy Dreams
9 Liberty City
10 Dream Kitchen
11 We Are Time
12 Lunatics Are Taking Over The Asylum

he was meant to be doing a recording of the bug and he man's track killer, i think he was working on it for a new lp you know.
are people going to that russell haswell curated thing soon?

zhao

there are no accidents

thanks for the tip on the 101 comps on VP Francesco. they do look good for filling in some big blanks in my knowledge.

what about new stuff? like I said I love Sizzla with his minor-key voice and creative production on his albums with the stylistic varation and loads of different type beats on his records.

also love the Bug and Rupture on the more experimental tip.

can you think of anything I should pick up?

by the way I've been frequenting Breaking Ranks, there's lots of good info on there... thanks Stalfox.

cheers

john eden

male pale and stale
I just realised ATP and DJ /Rupture linked to my maffia piece, so got rid of some of the most glaring errors from it! I need to try and blag a copy of that Soul Jazz album as well... ;)

Yeah, will be at the gig...

francesco

Minerva Estassi
confucius said:
also love the Bug and Rupture on the more experimental tip.

can you think of anything I should pick up?

Probably you know about the Ambush label, there is anyway a comps on Rephlex and there is a comps compiled by Bug (alias the great Kevin Martin) some years ago called "Collision Course" who include "total distruction" and others things. Also I recenty bought the comps (with Bug, Rapture, Soundmurder and others) called Shockout but still have to listen properly. If you don't know those records google them and find if they look interesting to you.
Sorry i'm not expert on current dancehall but other people here maybe are, anyway I think that both VP and Greensleves make comps every year with some best track of that year. Good search and ciao da Francesco!

zhao

there are no accidents
yes I own both "Collision Course" on Ambush and "Shok Out" on Kid606's sub-label... seems the world of "altered" dancehall is still very small. maybe I should just make some of my own!

guess I will have to check the Mark Stewart album. know nothing about him.

what kind of acts did Russel Hasswell put together? I bet there's a lot of noise and DSP wank... it'd be cool if he got some Black Metal from Scandenavia and classical santoor from Iran... and forced them to jam together! but I would be there anyway if I was in England.

Noah Baby Food

He's putting Whitehouse on, which is one of the most powerful live experiences you'll ever have...mindblowing stuff. Surgeon and Regis too, quality dark machine funk.

labrat

hot on the heels of love
russell haswell

what is it with russell haswell; hes so ubiquitous both in the ''avantelectonica'' scene and the british art scene???
i've got his Live Salvage CD on Mego and it's exqusite.
a clear flexi came with an ICA catalogue.
he's mates with Jake & Dino Chapman and Aphex Twin(this may explain his ubiquity)
I've even seen a phto of his in a Kylie book!
any links? has he got a website? i'm intrigued.

Last edited:

zhao

there are no accidents
Haswell

yeah Mr Haswell is, as you limeys would put it, a proper nut job. saw him open up for autechre once, absolutely mental dj set. he boasts of being a total alcoholic and drug addict yet he gets mad props from academia (taught sound design at Cal Arts I think)

but I'm weary of his recorded material... seems like it would be a blitzed out abrasive headache stuff I might be in the mood for like, 1 day out of the year. the Mego release is "exquisite"? how do you mean?

speaking of Mego, does anyone have the "Fridge Trax" album? their first release? I can't find that thing anywhere! I'm thinking about making a trip to Austria just for that. (half joking)

john eden

male pale and stale
confucius said:
speaking of Mego, does anyone have the "Fridge Trax" album? their first release? I can't find that thing anywhere! I'm thinking about making a trip to Austria just for that. (half joking)

Mego didn't have any of those left when I was in Vienna in 97! Bon chance!