Bruza

SMorlighem

simon silverdollar said:
he was really good at that 'urban classic' thing last night. the best MC there. he seems to have started varying his flow quite a bit- it was very fast, almost drum n bass speed at points last night, then slowed down back into his typical see-sawy style.

and he knows how to entertain a crowd- he forced the orchestra last night to do a rewind!
"when it sounds nice, WE PLAY IT TWICE!"

!

How was that Urban Classic thing, Simon ? Very curious to hear it tomorrow night!

S

simon silverdollar

captain easychord said:
oh man you went to that! maybe you could give us a little more of a recap eh si?

i'm writing a proper live review of it at the moment, which hopefully should come out somewhere.

It was actually a really good night. started off with the orchestra playing nice, dramatic kind of sino-grime, without the MCs. it worked well. purple came on, was good but just a little bit too 'worthy' in places. Faith SFX was there- but i find beatboxing incredibly boring. what's the point?

Bruza was the best MC there- a true entertainer. you could see his kind of grime as being like modern day east end music hall entertainment- so i guess it was appropriate that it was in the hackney empire. this female MC, Tor, was there and she was incredible. I've never heard her before. She came across as really genuinely angry and uncompromising- like shystie but more hardcore.

the music was good, but best when it was at it's sparsest- when it actually sounded like grime. when it was the full orchestra going all-out the sound lost something, soundiing more like generic film-score orchestration. it was also notable that the orchestra tended to play at hip hop, rather than grime tempo.

it was a good crowd- lots of young people who loved grime there- probably the first (and last?) time the BBC orchestra was greeted on stage by a hail of 'brap's!

bun-u

Trumpet Police
it won't be as good as Simon's review - but I've stuck a short something about last night's Urban Classics thing on my blog here
(it was indeed all about the bruuuze)

Rambler

Awanturnik
Midnight tomorrow on 1Xtra, then again on R3 on Friday evening. Should be on Listen again for a week after each of those.