ILX's ''110 ELECTRONIC DANCE TRACKS of the 00s" Thread

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Actually, I was being rather blase about not doing it but I see people have listed a whole heap of tunes in this thread - is there a way this could still be done?

I presume we'd have to put all the named tunes in a big list and pick out a certain number each with each vote meaning a point? Organisation is not my strong suite, unfortunately.

I also wonder if it would be good to have certain members picking representative tunes from scenes i.e. continuum obviously knows more than most people on here about Bassline. But would it be more a question of which Bassline tune e.g. has transcended the scene it came from to become a hit/anthem for the 'ardkore nation in general?

QUESTIONS QUESTIONS

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
BTW can we somehow get Tim F to this thread to do a rundown of funky tunes in particular? And then to do full write ups for all 100 tracks, with footnotes and accompanying windows movie maker videos?

Also, to make things even more Dissensian, we could have short opinion pieces attached to each tune - one from a lover of the tune, one from a fighter of the tune. I.E. Blackdown could talk about how great Burial is and then Luka could slag Burial off immediately afterwards? Plus I know certain members (rubberdinghyrapids?) like wobble tunes and other members hate them soooooooo

Or maybe we could just save the arguing for the thread itself?

rubberdingyrapids

i think tentative andy and benny b have funky covered well enough. and others have put in some less comprehensive funky selections so we dont need tim f. :p

Benny Bunter

I already said that I wouldn't mind organising it and made some suggestions about how it could be done. TBH Corpsey I'm not really sure enough people are still around to take part and make it worthwhile though, this place is really dying off it seems. If enough people show interest then we could give it a go but it might turn out a bit lame.

Tim F fans should check this out btw, his 2012 round-up. Brilliant stuff
http://www.ilxor.com/ILX/ThreadSelectedControllerServlet?boardid=41&threadid=94835#unread

datwun

I'm still up for the poll!

Has anyone mentioned any Narrows?

Saved Soul & Kick Daan ya Door

On a similar dark garage tip I'd nominate these nearly forgotten treasures:

Hardcore Garage.

I think it'd be great to have a list, we could all do blurbs for it and we could even make it in to a series of blog posts: 100-91, 90-81 etc.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
I already said that I wouldn't mind organising it and made some suggestions about how it could be done. TBH Corpsey I'm not really sure enough people are still around to take part and make it worthwhile though, this place is really dying off it seems. If enough people show interest then we could give it a go but it might turn out a bit lame.

Tim F fans should check this out btw, his 2012 round-up. Brilliant stuff
http://www.ilxor.com/ILX/ThreadSelectedControllerServlet?boardid=41&threadid=94835#unread

Thanks for the link - Finney's selection and prose excellent as usual. I remember when Simon Reynolds was this good. Speaking of which, in the spirit of end-of-year roundups, I bought the Wire yesterday and the bit where they get writers to sum up their pros and cons of 2012 was worth the price in itself (I imagine a couple of people here wrote pieces for it) - loads of excellent recommendations for film and books as well as for music.

Rumours of Dissensus dying off are an Xmas/New Year tradition, I think - it always gets very quiet

Benny Bunter

Lovely to see Lapaz Toyota get such a high place and a spot-on write up in Tim's roundup and he chose the correct Jackin' tunes too. And absolutely no complaints about the number 1 spot from me.

Dissensus needs a bit of a kick up the arse I'd say with some fresh posters, maybe it'll pick up. :slanted:

RE: poll, I'll start a new thread that compiles all the nomination lists we've got so far and then we can decide what to do after that.

Tentative Andy

I'm in the Meal Deal
^ Co-signing all of the appreciation for Tim's eoy list. In addition to just being great music writing, it's been making me re-assess my feeling that 2012 was quite a poor year in music. Going through the list has made me realize that there was plenty of good stuff going on, just that this was mostly well away from my center of gravity as it were.
I dunno, I can definitely see myself getting more into vocal-based, song-form music again - think the time when contemporary dance music could fill all or even most of my musical needs has passed, at least for now.

Tentative Andy

I'm in the Meal Deal
Going to link to Werkin Girls by Angel Haze for anyone who's not heard it, because it's one of the tunes from Tim's list that feels like it fits closest with what Dissensians tend to be into:
Got that cold, steely-eyed energy to it.