Conceptual art: what's the point?

labrat

hot on the heels of love
Tangentially, I know business-speak has been discussed here off and on... "Blue sky thinking" and all that... but art-speak seems to me to be way more nebulous and Orwellian.

mistersloane is a meta-master of it rather than a victim, but I have one other artist friend who (how to put it?) hasn't been so lucky. I popped into White Cube in HK and had an eye-opening discussion with the staff, in the respect that they all sounded precisely like him. I wish I could spin out examples with the adeptness they demonstrated. I could try perhaps when I'm less tired (just spent the night assembling a couple of hundred CD sets). Essentially the gift is cloaking rather mundane observations in complex-sounding, mostly referential vocabulary.

Does anyone have the dimmest recognition of what I'm talking about?

http://canopycanopycanopy.com/16/international_art_english

muser

I think hirst's horrible new sculpture thing really shows what terrible artists alot of these people secretly are. Its funny though its vbecome such a big thing in modern art even people making skilled/aesthetically interesting things seem to have to conceptualize what they are doing or add some gimmick, to feel secure scratching the chin too.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I have a very old-fashioned and unfashionable regard for technique and virtuosity for its own sake. I like Glenn Brown, I think:

glenn%20brown%20dark%20angel%20for%20ian%20curtis.jpg
GlennBrown.jpg
artist_glenn_brown_03.jpg

I mean sure, they look kind of like they could be on the cover of a cheesy sci-fi novel, but I think they're very beautiful.

I guess the logical end point of virtuosity for its own sake is photorealism. But I wonder if this isn't almost a kind of conceptual art in itself, despite having the appearance of being the complete opposite? The concept being, here I am using a traditional medium to produce an image which is essentially indistinguishable from a photograph - photography being the technology that kick-started the move away from naturalistic figurative art in the first place?

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
^we were talking about different things. if you meant order in the literal sense of the pre-WWII order of the world, then yes, that is well and buried (or at least mostly dead, it kind of lingers on as a shambling corpse). when I saw "tear down the old order" I thought modernism, zang tumb tuum and whatever. or a 1968 kind of thing. but the level of cultural production, anyway.

there's a woebot bit I remember where he says Neu (I'm pretty sure it was Neu?) was the final legitimately new thing in rock, after which everything is either imitation, or synthesis (postpunk) or variation (say, grindcore) of something preexisting. I think I'm remembering that right.

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
also, I dunno if it's relevant but it made me think of this: "chaos was the law of nature, order was the dream of man", penned by the quintessential yankee aristocrat to express his utter bewilderment at the dawn of modernism. actually I think he wrote it the same year marinetti got into the car accident that birthed futurism.

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
I guess the logical end point of virtuosity for its own sake is photorealism. But I wonder if this isn't almost a kind of conceptual art in itself, despite having the appearance of being the complete opposite? The concept being, here I am using a traditional medium to produce an image which is essentially indistinguishable from a photograph - photography being the technology that kick-started the move away from naturalistic figurative art in the first place?

Yeah, this kinda why people like/d photorealism. See? You're getting it! Art speak and art language is just like walking through a hall of mirrors, in your head, with words. That's all it is though.

blacktulip

Pregnant with mandrakes
You good people nailed art speak.

One more thing: this book covers many of the area's contradictions and peculiarities and, in fact, did so when most of them emerged way back when. It appears prophetic now since a lot of these concerns have made an impact on the popular consciousness in the past couple decades. It's a really, really great read. Sorry if it's obvious to you folks.

IdleRich

IdleRich
But that's the art-world in general and the effect it has on the work that's produced isn't it? I mean, he's not saying he hates conceptual art, just that big-money leads to conservatism in all kinds of art. Which is right I'm sure.

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
But that's the art-world in general and the effect it has on the work that's produced isn't it? I mean, he's not saying he hates conceptual art, just that big-money leads to conservatism in all kinds of art. Which is right I'm sure.

Yeah. I actually thought I'd written "Dave Hickey has had it" but my mind musta been elsewhere. Weird.

Nice article I thought.

blacktulip

Pregnant with mandrakes
I have only one more thing to say about conceptual art; I fucking love Chris Burden and particularly everything he did in the 1970s.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Yeah. I actually thought I'd written "Dave Hickey has had it" but my mind musta been elsewhere. Weird.
Nice article I thought.
Yes. And loads of comments too unfortunately. I have a real problem with stopping myself reading comments, does anyone else get that, it's probably the sort of thing The Wire will identify as a modern disease?

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I bet someone's done this years ago, but I'd love to mount a tobacco pipe on a little plinth with a label on it saying Ceci est vraiment une pipe.

luka

craner having a lucid moment is always a joy. when the clouds of madness part and the light shines through. the rest of you come across as quite thick im afraid.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
I bet someone's done this years ago, but I'd love to mount a tobacco pipe on a little plinth with a label on it saying Ceci est vraiment une pipe.

The double entendre here could give you other options as to what to place on the plinth.