Conceptual art: what's the point?

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
it was ever thus
during my brush with the scientific world, I was put off by the degree to which it functions in the same way

there it is, I guess, more defensible

technicians can do some things but depending on the research, you simply have to have some number of grad students/post-docs in a lab

but whenever someone gets a Nobel or whatever, it represents the work of many people

like any field, some people have better or worse reputations for crediting their underlings. I heard a few horror stories.

and because the publish or perish pressure is so acute, the head of a lab is like a feudal lord, holding everyone's fate in their hands

Reactions: sus

version

I read this on Twitter when Harold Bloom died,

"if you truly want to honor Harold Bloom you should have 20 unpaid grad students write his obit"

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
yes I suppose it's academia in general

it seems more egregious in the sciences because the stakes are much higher outside of academia as an end unto itself

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
It feels good adopting the confident tone of an established academic or religious zealot.

Having skimmed my previous post, I have noticed that my arguments are constantly hamstrung by expressions of self-doubt.

Reactions: sus

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
"certitudinal" tho

I was racking myself for this last night, in my defence. I've got a tendency to get high on my own gas sometimes.

It's an understandable sort of feeding frenzy my ego indulges in, it being beaten like a Dickensian orphan 99% of the time.

Also it's to do with my reading books by people like Santayana who can pull off that high style (the horrible "nay!"s aside), and wanting a piece of that action for myself.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
"Is not the poetic quality of phrases and images due to their concentrating and liberating the confused promptings left in us by a long experience? When we feel the poetic thrill, is it not that we find sweep in the concise and depth in the clear, as we might find all the lights of the sea in the water of a jewel? And what is a philosophic thought but such an epitome?"

version

It'd work if they were taking the piss and it was a negative review, but it's a serious, positive review.

sus

It's a bit like taking a drug, reading a book – a book with a strong style, I mean.

sometimes I feel like I'm having a panic attack after watching a woodie allen film, it's just a way of being, you know? it rubs off on ya

Leo

but if an artist has previously done only unconventional music (which, regardless of whether you like him or not, is largely the case with actress), then taking a conventional approach is in fact a radical change, no?

you guys sound like a bunch of old geezers sometimes. "Oh, that silly art stuff, my five-year old granddaughter could draw that!"