what art is, fundamentally

luka

im telling you how art work, what it is, what it does. im being helpful. im trying to help you. its a sensory data designed to build a world for you to live inside.

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
speaking of which, I feel like I should have something to say about a thread that includes a Situ quote and John Zerzan, but I don't

so, instead, the definitive statement on all metaphilosophical inquiries into the nature of art

How Much Art Can You Take

(how in the fuck do you get a video to embed on here nowadays? I swear it used to juts be copy + paste but I tried doing like 8 things and couldn't get it to embed)

Last edited:

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
in luka's defense, dissensus also used to be better than this

Consistently downhill since your namesake got banned for the third time and nomad got clean and then left. :(

Edit: I know, it's a right pain in the arse. If it's on YouTube, make sure you're not viewing with the ''https' protocol - if you are, just delete the 's' and reload the page. Then copy the URL and paste it into the reply box here, bracketed with 'video' and '/video' in square brackets.

You can also right click on the video and select 'copy embed HTML', and paste that into the reply box, but it seems to be more temperamental.

Last edited:

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
Luka's totally on point on this one - except the delivery.

That sounds like a diss, it isn't. Anyone who creates, creates a space for that thing to exist in, even if it fails, dies, or doesn't translate.

It's a fundamental : food, shelter, then ornamentation. Ornamentation is just expanding the idea of shelter, whether in personal adornment (first principle) or expression (second principle).

A question would be whether it's an expression of environment or environment itself.

slim jenkins

El Hombre Invisible
Art's that thing people make or do which may be representational of an object/person or concept/emotion and is in the eye of the beholder as much as the creator but totally immersive for the maker, yes, if not the viewer.

Had a brief discussion about this the other night when in my infinite wisdom (!) I declared the topic so 'outdated' whilst another pondered over whether my altered book was Art, or not.

Layers of intent may or may not exist in any piece and do not necessarily reveal themselves immediately, hence explanations are required/desired, which the maker is free to ignore or dismiss.

Excuse me for using this thread to try and wake up my brain, thus risking ridicule.

IdleRich

IdleRich
"how in the fuck do you get a video to embed on here nowadays?"
Beats me, the icon that used to do it is still there but it doesn't do it. A very concrete example of the way dissensus has got worse.