Albums of the year 2012

datwun

house and techno is the shared reference point for all of this, which might make comparisons seem interesting or worthwhile but in reality its too broad for that. some of my favourite music comes from that world, and also some of the stuff i dislike the most.

For me the point of comparison is more 'UK dance music in 2012". It's also, despite how much people seem to resist the term nowadays a comparison based on them both being offshoots of the nuum. People say that the nuum model is outdated now, and I suppose with UK bass it is - but for me the stuff I used to like about 'future garage', and 'post-dubstep', Hessel included in this, was where I could still hear those ravier nuum influences - for me the UK bass stuff has now definitely drawn much closer to the techno sphere of influence and with it it's lots a lot of its vybe for me. Jackin, despite having a much more straight forwardly 4x4 house beat than the bass stuff, is ram packed with 'ardcore elements.

all the house that comes from the 'established' scene that ive seen you post has been glossy, formulaic, grooveless tech-house, which is the stuff that actively put me off exploring house music in more detail up until 4 or 5 years ago.

Curious what you mean by 'established' house that you've seen me post? I don't think I've been posting bait tech-house anywhere?!! Unless somebody's hacked me :S

it's what jackin' producers are looking towards too, so that goes some way to making sense of our personal responses to that music i guess, and to your bemusement at how the rhythms of something like 'cactus' can function on a dancefloor despite it just being a swung 4x4 pattern and being held down by a giant off-beat hi-hat

I think you might have me confused with someone else on the forum if you think I'm into big room tech-house and that my love of jackin comes from that... What I find interesting about jackin is that in involves some innovation through degeneration. A lot of these guys label their tracks 'deep house', and it's obviously something they aspire to, but it's not any deep house that'd get played at a 30s+ champaign bar! It's like, deep compared with bassline, and those influences can't help crowd out their pretensions to 'deepness'. The term I see coming up on jackin producers soundclouds and stuff is 'deep and dirty' - which would never be used by real deep house heads! And it kind of shows you that jackin is house music /gone wrong/.

I just feel that Objekt peaked with his first EP (and apparently that was only him taking the piss of brostep :( ) Cactus is almost a banger to me but it's just lacks a central groove. There's a scale from 'boring, unoriginal, bate dancefloor fodder' to 'headtrip IDM you could never dance to", and for me Cactus is too near the latter.

re: scenius etc... the best thing about the situation us lot have found ourselves in is that there is still huge interaction between musicians, DJs and labels, it's just that it's not confined either to those within local proximity of each other or to those within a narrow stylistic range. ive worried about this same issue too but really one of the best things about the past couple of years to me has been this freedom to form relationships with people whose music i feel an affinity with regardless of where they're from

Yeah, I mean obviously the increased international connections the internet brings with it have loads of upsides! I don't mean to get into a little england mentality and say that people from a certain place can't make a certain kind of music or anything. (Gremino would be a great example: a Finn making some of the best 'UK' music around :D), but it's just a number of factors like I like it when music has a sense of teleology, and bass feels too diffuse for that, I also like it when there's like, a recognisable sonic innovation everybody's playing with so you get to feel through all the permutations of that. Lastly I think UK bass is held together by a certain vibe, and I'm just not really vybzin on that vibe.

How you come to that conclusion?

The hipster thing is weird man. If I was white people would probably call me a hipster too.

Because I'm friends with a lot of "hipsters" (by that I mean like, people who are image conscious, keep their ears to trends in culture, study arts and humanities and want to go into the creative industries: not necessarily super ironic, insincere, politically vacuous/apathetic wankers) , and a lot of them wear Butterz caps and go to your nights :D The hipster thing is weird though, I try to use it as just quite a neutral thing to describe like a way of dressing and some interests. Lad culture is easily just as ironic and self-aware as hipsterdom. You can definitely see that there's been some hipster influence on street fashion in the East, even in America with big rap artists bigging up indie bands...

i would actually disagree with this - i think its gone more dancefloor. if you look at what someone like untold is making or releasing these days for example, its much more for the floor than it used to be. eg - motion the dance.

My experience of UK bass on the dancefloor is like 6 hours of a bleepy bloopy technoid stream of music with a vaugely wobbly, unjulating bass underneath it with nearly no peaks and troughs in energy, and certainly no 'drops'. Every now and then a UK bass 'banger' will come through to kind of break the pattern, and vocals are treated as if they're a scarce commodity which need to be rationed.

Phaedo

I'm friends with a lot of "hipsters" (by that I mean like, people who are image conscious, keep their ears to trends in culture, study arts and humanities and want to go into the creative industries)

theres definitely a lot of hipsters then

denoir

It's not just the tempo, but just generally that most jUKe has more quantised rhythms, goes a bit less crazy with the vocal loops, is less out there, easier than the Chi-town originals. Not all the time, Sully did big things with it, Kuedo, Om Unit as well, and then people like Lenkems and Serantis on a kind of mutant-bass bangface tip. But generally when you consider the relation of UKG to garage house, or UK funky to funky house, the UK's always made things darker, weirder, it's always made the rhythm section more syncopated etc. and that didn't seem to be the case with Addison Groove and the juke influenced 'bass'.

Fracture's recent output is probably the closest the juke/jungle movement has gotten to the ideal of uk take on footwork...

I don't really think any mutation of the sound can get any darker/weirder/more syncopated than juke already is?!

Tbh it's hard to imagine something groundbreaking on 160bpm after 20 years of hardcore/jungle/dnb experimentation around that tempo...I got to dj after Rashad & Spinn (who were absolutely amazing) earlier this year and decided to play 100% breakbeat hardcore & early jungle (1992/1993) on 150-160bpm...they stayed in the club for about 2 more hours and the promoter of the night later told me they went crazy about the stuff I was spinning... "Wtf is this shit?? you telling me this is OLD SCHOOL???" :D Might be a proof that proper uk version of juke already exists and the connection is more than just a scientific deduction lol

blacktulip

Pregnant with mandrakes
Sorry if I missed the thread for this but what were the most extreme, fucked-up Jamaican records of 2012?

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Rich Gang
Flockaveli
Late Nights
Sremmlife

All at least good

Need to listen to that Jazmine Sullivan album

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Nobody listens to albums anymore, I suspect. Not even the old ones. I guess I have listened to one or two albums this year.

But "good" isn't a high bar for entry. To me that suggests an album with maybe 6 or 7 good tunes on it.

Would definitely concede that there aren't many/any GREAT albums on that list.

luka

nothing on there that you could hold up alongside the great Dickens novel, David Copperfield.

luka

You'll have to wait till later in the year for that. So far still reading my second one ever.

subvert47

I don't fight, I run away
Nobody listens to albums anymore, I suspect. Not even the old ones. I guess I have listened to one or two albums this year.

You suspect wrong then 🙃. When I put an album on – which is every day – I nearly always listen to the whole thing. And I'm currently in the process of listening to all my vinyl LPs in alphabetical order. I'm just coming to the end of B.