trilliam

GAVIN PETERS - AVA WORD OPENING PARTY 2013 @ XOYO

MAJESTY - SIESTA CLOSING PARTY 2012 @ CORONET

MARK RADFORD - DEFINITION MIX

MA1 - TRANSCEND 9TH FEB PROMO MIX

HARDHOUSE BANTON - JANUARY PODCAST

J CLARKE - LOVE HOUSE (SPEAKERBOX EDITION)
soundcloud.com/jclarkedj/speakerbox

CARLOS ARIES - LIVE IN THE MIX 7

ADAM COTIER - MADE IN SHOREDITCH VOL 3

wud reccomend starting with the radford, majesty ones

Last edited:

continuum

smugpolice
Thanks for the recommendations.

I've heard the Gavin Peters and Adam Cotier mixes you posted. Adam Cotier one I especially liked.

Couple more I've been feeling recently:

DJ Raz - MDMA Vol 1

Max Van Morrison - Can't Stop Won't Stop Vol 3

Local Authority

bitch city
Just saw this as a curious (& slightly commercialized) take on house but it seems as if its an actual and very real scene going by the level of discussion people have aimed at it?

Aside from its bearings to Garage & UK funky and the geographical aspects, what sets this apart from the house and techno covered in the other thread?

At lot of it just seems like house with big drops and big melodies as opposed to anything else. Lacking in all the nuances of melody, timbre, rhythm and sound design that more music critic friendly strains of house are rich in.

continuum

smugpolice
Aside from its bearings to Garage & UK funky and the geographical aspects, what sets this apart from the house and techno covered in the other thread?

The house and techno in the other thread seems to me to be the IDM brother of the house and techno in this and the Jackin' threads. I'm not really into it but that's probably because I haven't spent enough time listening to the music. When I have stopped to listen to a few tracks I really like them but they are not as immediate as the h&t in the Jackin' and Shuffling scenes and my time is limited so I prefer something that requires less up front investment.

On a similar note see the following from Cable: http://www.cable-london.com/broadcast/single/that-foot-shuffling-thing

e/y

The house and techno in the other thread seems to me to be the IDM brother of the house and techno in this and the Jackin' threads...

Hmm...

As I see it, stuff in this thread is euro/tech house, stuff in the house/techno threads is just...house and techno (different variations perhaps...some more experimental, deep, NY-influenced, w/e), but I really don't see anything "IDM-ish" about any of the music there. Like, what's IDM about Zug Island, Speck Jam or Staat Aus Glas? All are pretty "immediate".

continuum

smugpolice
Hmm...

As I see it, stuff in this thread is euro/tech house, stuff in the house/techno threads is just...house and techno (different variations perhaps...some more experimental, deep, NY-influenced, w/e), but I really don't see anything "IDM-ish" about any of the music there. Like, what's IDM about Zug Island, Speck Jam or Staat Aus Glas? All are pretty "immediate".

I agree with your definitions. What it means though is that the House & Techno thread isn't really what it calls itself. It's really the Experimental, Deep and NY-Influenced House & Techno thread. It's current title gives the impression of that sort of House & Techno being the 'right' or 'correct' type and opposed to other forms. Very similar vibe to the anti-foot shufflers. It doesn't feel right to post other H&T in there and you feel you will be sneered at if you did so people don't. The addition of the year 2012 or 2013 amplifies the above.

PS. I liked the Zug Island, Speck Jam and Staat Aus Glas tunes you posted.

e/y

It's really the Experimental, Deep and NY-Influenced House & Techno thread.

Someone posted a Shed tune (under the Zigg Gonzales name) that's quite tech-housey and I don't think anyone sneered? In addition to the things you mentioned there's such a variety of other things in there that I don't feel it is really alike with the anti-foot shuffling crowd.

btw, I saw a guy doing something like shuffling at Kassem Mosse in Cologne this month, looked fun.

Local Authority

bitch city
I wouldn't say this kind of house isn't welcome from the house & techno thread, that's why the separation confuses me. The only real difference is that one is covered more in mainstream electronic outlets such as RA and the other isn't.

datwun

Interesting that pretty much every scene in the UK has ended up back at house, though via different means.

UK bass via middle class white student types discovering Chicago and Detroit. (Disclosure: I'm a middle class white student type. So are Disclosure for that matter)

Jackin via the bassline heads trynna figure out how to run bassline when 'bassline' was a banned words on flyers. Also, via electro and fidget, some of the more straight-ahead deep house stuff (M.A.N.D.Y & Booka Shade etc.)

Shuffle with all the ex-grime-ex-funky guys discovering Euro Deep and Minimal. Quite 'street' but not really wacky or that innovative as far as I can tell.

Dunno, can someone teach me how to like Shuffle house? I like the dance, but honestly none of the mixes hold my attention for more than 3 minutes and none of the tracks alone do much for me. Continuum, you know what I like re: jackin, what are some of the tunes that would most immediately appeal? I like that it's London and that it's pissing off old people, but at the moment it just seems like it's pre-interesting musically.

Also: A thought - is the reason (although cause/effect is a bit confusing here) Au Seve is so big because it appeals to the sound pallets of all three of these scenes? Like how Night was big in Funky, Dubstep, Bassline etc.?

Are there any other tracks which cross over so broadly? I reckon Hannah Wants could very easily become a big cross over figure, though people like Lorenzo, Tom Shorterz less so.

continuum

smugpolice
Dunno, can someone teach me how to like Shuffle house? I like the dance, but honestly none of the mixes hold my attention for more than 3 minutes and none of the tracks alone do much for me.

Don't think you can teach someone how to like it. Best thing to do is listen to as much as possible and try and see why other people like it.

Some people have brought up a thing about age and how shuffling and the scene is for young people but then you look at photos from events like Ava Word and it's a very mature crowd (and the flyer says over 21s) so not convinced about that. There's definitely something new about it though and that comes from imo the music history (ie. funky, garage, grime, bassline and dubstep) of the people getting into house over the last year or so. I've seen comments where some of the reason the existing house heads say they are into house is to stay separate from the (not their words) 'hardcore continuum' music scenes. Now that suddenly this weird divide (which has lasted for many years over here in the UK) has finally been broken people will obviously be up in arms about it. It's a significant change in the grand scheme of things.

Continuum, you know what I like re: jackin, what are some of the tunes that would most immediately appeal? I like that it's London and that it's pissing off old people, but at the moment it just seems like it's pre-interesting musically.

The deep tech house being played is in many ways a lot different to Jackin'. Some of the few tunes produced specifically by the new audience are probably your best bet:

Playtime Productions - Our Kind (Murder On The Dancefloor Remix)

Cozzy D - Aphrodite (Formula Rework)

Carnao Beats feat. Shamoni Williams - Eni Mini

Also: A thought - is the reason (although cause/effect is a bit confusing here) Au Seve is so big because it appeals to the sound pallets of all three of these scenes? Like how Night was big in Funky, Dubstep, Bassline etc.?

The comparison of Au Seve to Night is spot on. Feels like 2007 again.

Local Authority

bitch city
Any idea why this is?

Probably for a multitude of reasons, too many to reason. Although the two off the top off my head are demographic and legitimacy, the other could be the outlets people decide to showcase their music.

The whole foot shuffling/jacking/electro-bassline etc etc contingency seem to take an approach similar to the guys who make/made grime and funky, solely digital with an emphasis on online media. Whereas the more 'legitimate' strains of house and techno tend to focus around media hype and vinyl releases.

I think that could be where the divide lies actually, ones embrace of digital and the others love for vinyl.

continuum

smugpolice
Few bits and pieces been feeling recently:

Stop motion photo montage by Can't Stop Won't Stop's resident photographer Jasmin Bell:

Fit girl dancing at CSWS. DJ is doing some next mix with Wowshit and some other tune:

Couple of tunes from the most recent D'Vinci mix:
Barrington - In Kane We Trust
Peace Division - Blacklight Sleaze (Dyed Soundroom Remix)

One of D'Vinci's own productions:
D'Vinci - Columbia

Opening tune from Max Van Morrison's CSWS Volume 3 mix:
Tiga - Pleasure From The Bass (Subb-an Remix)

Mental tune Max Van Morrison retweeted on Twitter yesterday:
No Artificial Colours & Max Chapman - Jack And The Beans

Last edited:

trilliam

Rinse FM have revealed some exciting new additions to their roster.

The man leading the charge in this crop of new DJ talent is dubstep connoisseur V.I.V.E.K who will be appearing on Thursday nights along with XXXY, Klose One, Dusky, Paleman, Breach and Bicep (pictured) who will appear in various slots throughout the week.

hmm