whytea

why is it that when any of these major media outlets mention uk funky the first name that pops up is kode9 (or even worse beneath) and not supa d

why is it that when those same media outlets mention grime its visionist, slackk or whoever

Couldn't agree more! This really pisses me off, they didn't care when these scenes were at their prime, but only when they became 'cool' and commercially acceptable

For me its amounts to a kind of 'gentrification' of a music scene

trilliam

gd that u agree and i love the use of the word gentrification but wish u hadnt quoted that lol

more than likely some idiot is gonna reply with the exact argument line i used in the original post and im gonna have to repeat myself

truesay i been repeating myself all thread

datwun

Re: Reynolds, I don't have a problem with his 'borderline fetishism for modernism', I think one of the most progressive/liberation/powerful elements of art is it's ability to create wholly new worlds, brand new idea, to literally expand the limits of reality (the 303 acid house bassline didn't exist, then it did, that literally changed our human senses, we might hear another noise now and compare it to that sound). I think art should try to be original, I think when something isn't original that is a bad thing to be held against it and critiqued, even if there are other values apart from originality it can also be judged for. I love deep tech, I love the scene, I think the quality of music is off the charts, but surely you must admit that there is something lost compared to say, hardcore which had wicked music, a wicked scene, and literally was also the birth of not only a new type of music, but a whole new cultural formation?

Buuuuut that said, it's not like there is anything more original than deep tech ATM. It's not like the stuff which is being called experimental (all that new grime, 130 stuff) isn't actually just a pastiche of past forms of experimentalism. I think it's a shame there's not something genuinely popular, genuinely wicked, and genuinely revolutionary like hardcore and grime or whatever, but seeing as that's the case you'd have to be mad not to enjoy what's a massive explosion of energy creating volumes of powerful, wicked music.

Basically there is no one credible working in dance music media now lol. There has been no media response to deep tech, there was no media response to jackin, nobody clocked all the amazing Midlands/northern grime around 2009-20111, nobody clocked the evolution of bassline post Heartbroken into really dark, weird, MC driven, 2-steppy zones with DJ Pantha, UKB and all that.

The last scene of any import the media made any attempt to engage with was Funky. Otherwise 'UK rave music' the last 5 years in the media has come to mean "anything that evolved from Joy Orbison" and "token coverage of Wiley"

Edit: I also think what Reynolds did was make the very powerful argument for the place of things like hardcore, jungle, garage into a history of modernism/the avant guard, along with stuff like post-punk etc. His was a project of claiming for these working class/BME art forms the same respect as we give Joyce and Picasso or whatever, arguing that there's a whole tradition of popular modernism that the official account leaves out. In as far as this is true and he's contributed to a more inclusive, more accurate cultural history, he's done the world a great service. In as far as we're probably only 5-10 years away for a V&A exhibition on garage fashion and Goldie doing adverts for butter, it was probably a total calamity in hindsight lol

Last edited:

trilliam

ye defo a sublow reference

been rinsing that strange static ithz set for 2 3 weeks now its gd stuff, feeling the joseph curtis and justjdan tracks

Blackdown

nexKeysound
Basically there is no one credible working in dance music media now lol.

This is not a disaster, this is a rare and important window of opportunity for you Datwun, seize it! If others have fallen off, if others can not see what you feel you can see: show them the error of their ways in your positive actions!

datwun

This is not a disaster, this is a rare and important window of opportunity for you Datwun, seize it! If others have fallen off, if others can not see what you feel you can see: show them the error of their ways in your positive actions!

PS. This honestly wasn't a sideways diss as you fam! lol. I've always enjoyed your writing and feel you were really the go to writer on dubstep, grime and funky for much of the 2000s. If you're not feeling what I'm feeling now then it is what it is, but I more just mean a total lack of people doing over-arching writing about whole scenes which actually exist (as opposed to vaporwave or witch house or all the bullshit internet genres).

Trying my best! Combination of lazieness/slowness, plus a month where I duppied coffee on a computer and had to get another one and get the data of the last one, plus living in Japan when the music I cover is in the UK lol.

Making headway on this deep tech article now. Hearing some opinions telling me I should get some more dancefloor observation in there - which would mean me waiting till I'm back in the UK this August to get this damn thing out lol. Other people telling me I'm on the right track as it it. Watch this space, cause it's happening (albeit slowly), and I think it's gonna be really good once it's out there!

Blackdown

nexKeysound
PS. This honestly wasn't a sideways diss as you fam! lol!

oh of course not and i didnt think it was haha... i'm not trying to be that writer anymore: i dont have time to do that well and do other music stuff. (plus all these different house & techno variants dont do it for me).

but i meant what i said, these moments are actually rare, seize them! when i first wanted to write I wanted to interview Detroit guys like UR but there was a long line in well established journos like Tom Magic Feet and Jonas Stone who actually knew Mad Mike. It was never going to happen.

but when a bunch of people decided to hang about in a room and play darker garage and everyone critically told me it was shit but i loved it, i saw it as an opportunity and you should do the same with jackin', this deep tech thing etc. take it, run with it, own it cos i know you want to take it there.

trilliam

lol @ vaporwave, outsiderhouse

i saw phillip shelbourne on twitter slagging off amine edge and gangsta house, was coming from a very vindictive place imo but just goes to show how detached these writer lot are they dont have a clue for the most part. there is an amazing article on club culture and sexuality on ra by this guy luis something, for my money the best thing ever posted on there

guess how many other posts he has there

that andrew ryce can go to hell as well

/rant

blazey

I fucking love most of the 'deep tech' tunes/sets I have been recently hearing.

Last time I was this excited about music was about 7 years ago when me and Pinch started Subloaded

It's not just the actual sound of the music that appeals to me either, but the whole package (the hosts, the dancing, GIRLS enjoying it, kinda reminds me of when I was 20 frequenting La Cosa, Sidewinder, Sun City etc etc.

When the new venue for Bodynod is sorted, which will not be too long, we will do our damned hardest to represent the sound in Bristol - especially as we will most likely have ALOT of deep tech loving students arriving from LDN and Brum.

vvvwwwv

hopefully that's the strange static ball rolling then. all not quite the same without 'know the deaal' pelted out over it though:)
wanna see 'tik tok' or whatever its called from those boys get a release, serious banger haha.

Last edited: