wise

bare BARE BONES
really want to reach a HER or Audiowhore night soon, don't really want to go to MoS again though. Wish I could get to that free one in mid July, in London for two and a half weeks from Sunday but got to go home 5 days before :mad:

Got to hope Bodynod brings the goods in Brizzle

firefly

audio rehab and house entertainment, two of the biggest brands (along with audiowhore which is gonna be in ibiza at sankeys this summer if you're getting down there) are gonna have ministry of sound nights next month and the month after so those are definitely worth a shout as an introduction !
thanks, will try to experience this live!

reading and listening to tunes/mixes you guys recommend, i've grown accustomed to the sound and enjoy it very much, actually.

one question: e.g., is this tune considered as deep tech?

what are the connections between jackin and deep tech nowadays?

also, i find it interesting that funkystepz are hesitantly, but slowly leaning towards this aesthetic

datwun

what are the connections between jackin and deep tech nowadays?

Jackin unfortunately doesn't exist anymore. It's been subsumed into a wider scene called house & bass, which includes some stuff which is pretty much just jackin, to like neo-bassline stuff, some garagey deep stuff, Flava D, DJ Q. With house n bass and deep tech there's a little bit of overlap and some people trying their hand at both, and some people like Tough Love making something kind of in-between the two, people like Shay and Sinister + Low Steppa would be two people being called jackin, then house and bass, and now putting out tracks on audio rehab.. But overall I think there's a fairly different sound at the centre of both scenes.

Would say that Funky Stepz would be more on the house n bass side of things. big speed garage influence, bassy-organs and that.

Last edited:

datwun

i'd say no, but it's a very fine line between that and some of X5 Dubs productions

Deep tech never does that half step thing, there's always a strong high hat snap going on. And you don't really get that sort of warp so much in deep tech, it's always more jagged.

glasshand

dj panic attack
The 20th century was also a time of great war and suffering. Something that goes hand in hand with real 'newness' imo. It's nice just to relax and not progress for a bit after all the 'progression' we made last century.

i was going to say something @datwun along these lines as well.

i listened to a mark fisher lecture recently where he was going on about the end of the future/modernism etc and one of the audience members used the phrase 'the death throes of colonialism' to describe his argument which made me think twice about it. he basically can't defend the attachment to modernism other than saying he doesn't want to live in a world without it. likewise retromania is full of colonial undertones that make simon reynolds' love for modernism dodgy. he links the slowing down of culture in england to the slowing down of england's economy. he describes the economies of china and india as ‘behind us, still in the mid-twentieth century – the era of rampant industrialization, of hubris-laden state initiatives like massive dam projects’. im sure u kno how problematic that linear timeline of culture and historical development is.

i agree completely with a lot of the stuff you said in response to my other post. modernism was a really useful concept that reynolds used to bring those working class musics into their rightful place as respected cultural movements. but like u said urself it shouldnt become the guiding value. the way mark fisher and simon reynolds hold onto that new worlds rhetoric has started to sound melancholic, like whatever u put in front of them isnt going to be modernist enough.

even if u do continue to value modernism or some of its impulses, if u aren't making some form of modernist art urself, shouldnt the job of the critic then be to try to recuperate some of those impulses in whatever is going on now? or find pockets of modernism left and champion them rather than going over the same nostalgic attachments to older forms?

if u consider urself a marxist critic or whatever then staying open to whatever currents are flowing on "road" is surely what u would automatically do, as u've done and as trilliam has been advocating.

glasshand

dj panic attack
doesn't saying that this sound isn't "road" when "road" people are definitely making and listening to it translate as "this isn't road because it doesn't conform to my fixed notions of what road sounds like" ... it's all good to identify sonic similarities running thru a set of genres, but when u start trying to dictate what those can be u start getting into damaging terrain.

"Feels like, the MC chat is coming from the endz. But the deejay mix is coming from The End circa 1998."

cant get my head around that one

im probably repeating arguments from yrs ago here

wise

bare BARE BONES
if you actually listen to tech house sets from The End in the mid to late 90s the sound is pretty different

wise

bare BARE BONES
Deep tech never does that half step thing, there's always a strong high hat snap going on. And you don't really get that sort of warp so much in deep tech, it's always more jagged.

didn't listen to the lorenzo tune all the way through, Fly Away by X5Dubs on Continuum's mix has pretty much a Jackin warpy owl bass, obvs its not at all a typical Deep Tech tune but still

wise

bare BARE BONES
that ODB sampling tune on + recordings has a half time drop i'm sure, i've never heard anyone play it in a set though......

continuum

smugpolice
enjoying that mix thanks Continuum

No worries. Thanks for the feedback. Randomly threw a few older tunes together. Mostly Hugo Massien / X5 Dubs and Arun Verone bits. Would be good to hear some others have a go with newer tunes. Lee B3 Edwards live mix is still the one at the moment. Producer-wise Craig Benjamin is doing it for me atm:

Enjoying Trilliam's aggressive and impassioned posts on the last few pages. Haven't had that on Dissensus for a while!

trilliam

doesn't saying that this sound isn't "road" when "road" people are definitely making and listening to it translate as "this isn't road because it doesn't conform to my fixed notions of what road sounds like" ... it's all good to identify sonic similarities running thru a set of genres, but when u start trying to dictate what those can be u start getting into damaging terrain.

"Feels like, the MC chat is coming from the endz. But the deejay mix is coming from The End circa 1998."

cant get my head around that one

im probably repeating arguments from yrs ago here

as long as it's still relevant it still needs to be spoken about

if you actually listen to tech house sets from The End in the mid to late 90s the sound is pretty different

exactly, that re-writing again

As an avid reader of the blog and Londoner who moved up north for university its nice to see so much passion on an area of music that I sometimes feel like the single person pushing hard up here!

Both trilliam and datwun make points that I can relate too, but I can't half agree with the point someone made about the fact that a year or two ago everyone seemed to believe that jackin' was the way forward and the future of the underground.

The only point I disagree with and really feel to back up is on the dubstep side of things, being a Londoner who probably did my hardest raving between about 08' and 10' mostly to dubstep I feel that it definately had a lot more energy than people are giving it credit for here. In the way I have seen a tune be dropped at a deep/tech rave in London and everyone at the front loose it and attack the booth in the exact same way an agressive early dubstep tune did the exact same. On influences however I do find that hard to say, it really depends on the artist and there are quite a few out there but as a genre I don't really believe it did but can hear it coming through. Whoever made the point about hungry for the power really being a game changer seemed more relevant.

Anyway apologies for barely posting but I am busy as fuck with everything so keep at it and il keep reading I love the passion for the music.

what's that Flying Away tune?

Myk Ezore & X5 Dubs - Fly Away, can someone post this please, missed the freebie somehow.
Ta!

Yeah I was gutted I missed this, would really appreciate a re-upload by anyone.

This one is too much

What a banger, can't get enough of nightshift at the moment think he may be number 1 on my list of yet to see! Anyone got the house tune that used the same sample in the past year or two?

datwun

I don't think that it's jackin was /going/ to be the future of the underground, it's that I and others wanted it to be. The reason I don't push jackin like that any more is quite simply that it's not being made. I still view a lot of that stuff as some of the best dance music ever...

But then moving with the times is always gonna be seen as band wagon jumping by some...

trilliam

Bp8v7dpCMAAv--H.jpg

continuum

smugpolice
Lance Morgan DJ Mag mix

http://usa.djmag.com/node/46931

Tracklist:
Citizen & Ashworth - Situation (feat Shona Carmen)
Playtime Productions & Richie Cane - Truck Stop
Gone In The Morning - Carnao Beats Remix
Project X (Dub)
Tazer - Stay Over (Original Mix)
Carnao Beats - Bass Switch
Tainted Souls - The Way
Second City - I Wanna Feel (Andme & Bastians Dirty Sunday Mix)
Komka, Allan Villar - 90% (Original Mix)
Hugo Massien - Run It
German Brigante feat Thomas Gandey - I Warned You
DJ Stryda - Nothing at all
Endless Words (Kreature Remix)
Tazer - Wet Dollars (Donaeo Remix)
Sonny Fodera, Taliwa - Can't Deny Feat. Taliwa (Leftwing & Kody Remix)
Twelve Minds - HMC (Matt Fear Remix)
Dj Dias - Chainsaw (Flymo & Replay Remix)
Kaiden Gray - Hererra

firefly

how much is this stuff influenced by the early inland knights releases and similar stuff from the 90s? the track from 2010 trilliam mentioned - honestly, i was clueless about that being' ''a hit'' for many reasons: a) as i said, i'm not from england and b) i was all caught up in my hipster deep house digging. but a lot of the producers are quite older than me, actually. listening to some soundcloud accounts and tunes, a lot of the folks from the scene, well they were listening to jungle in the 90s, but they must've been aware of the progressive strains of house, right?

Last edited: