trilliam

seeing as you in here so much blackdown do you have anything to say in regards to that blog entry you made

the one about snares and claps in strange places n alla that

Benny Bunter

Benny Bunter

Should really have said this earlier but I've already been commissioned by Fact to write the Deep Tech article (they approached me), just started interviewing producers/DJs for it, hopefully sitting down with Majesty on Friday which should be interesting. I know this looks stupid after my comments the other week but the way I see it I have an awareness of the possible implications of the article and as such should be able to provide an objective overview of the scene

haha i should have known! i was being genuine when i suggested you should write it btw. looking forward to it

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I don't really read Mixmag or DJ Mag anymore, I wonder if Deep Tech is garnering any coverage in those magazines? I absolutely agree that e.g. Fact have no obligation to cover UK Funky or Deep Tech; I think what makes the issue thorny is when artists from more Fact/Quietus/RA-friendly spheres blatantly borrow/steal stuff from a scene like funky and get the credit that the original artists seem not to get.

To be brief (so as not to be too boring): reading "Energy Flash", for better or worse, really opened my eyes (THEY LIVE style!) to the sniffy attitude of the media, and dance music nerds in general, to non "intelligent"/"deep" genres. So when I read a short piece on Beneath in Fact a while back which opened with a paragraph about how UK Funky had died, and what it really needed was somebody to make it cold and dark and other things which get music journalists erect, it set off this alarm bell which "Energy Flash" set up in my head. The same thing happened when I read that Dekmantel review. People are well within their rights to hate shufflers, of course, and maybe it wouldn't have fit with the general vibe of the festival, but - and perhaps I'm being paranoid - I detect something of a general dismissal in that of a house scene which, certainly from my (albeit limited) experience of it, is simply much more exciting and vibrant than anything Nicolas Jaar or Marcell Dettmann are doing.

So anyway, I'm looking forward to listening to the House ENT sets, the set Tazer did for David M and the Nightshift promo mix for Frequency (which I need to get my tickets for ASAP).

Last edited:

trilliam

I seen david M drop a review of House ENT on the spanish version of Mixmag on the low! as a guy whose opinions I find frequently aligning with my own I was pretty happy to see him do that.

lance morgan had a feature on mixmag and arun verone has had one on djmag, fabric and ministry have done a couple reviews with radford the last one for ministry being the most in depth

and during that whole shuffle wars stuff the mixmag online staff posted a counter argument which mentioned B3 and generally balanced the biased with some facts

that is to my knowledge all that has been done in the mainstream media but house of tee have some nice interviews on their website

also i write a piece for complex uk magazine which will be dropping soon. its pretty long and probaby very amateur so im waiting on its release with bayed breath

People are well within their rights to hate shufflers, of course, and maybe it wouldn't have fit with the general vibe of the festival, but - and perhaps I'm being paranoid - I detect something of a general dismissal in that of a house scene which, certainly from my (albeit limited) experience of it, is simply much more exciting and vibrant than anything Nicolas Jaar or Marcell Dettmann are doing.

x2 from a guy with plenty of mates who dont like shuffling into tasteful old house

II am aware that this thread is the first stage in such a process of a mythology and I have thought whether any articles published by any of us would provide the basis for the go-ahead of it's 'discovery' and subsequent reappropriation by the Fact/Post-Dubstep/UK Bass crowd who then lead and develop the gentrification process of the sound).

been following this thread a while. That was a very interesting long comment rudewhy made a few pages back, would be nice to see those thoughts in the context of a decent well researched fact article on this sound.. though how well would that slant sit with their editors and sponsors? personally i think lots of people seem to have strange notions of what forms of/ and when appropriation is ok. seeing these assumptions recognised from the author himself, the magazine he's writing in and people raving at large would be a good read

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I'm not surprised this stuff has found its way more into Mixmag/DJ Mag than Fact/Quietus and even RA tbh. From what I gather its very much an offshoot of 'mainstream' house stuff like Hot Creations, in actual fact I doubt Radford and co are particularly interested in getting write ups in non-house-centric publications anyway! I suppose any publicity is good, though.

It would be interesting to know how much actual power music journalists/magazines have these days in PR terms. Do they have the same power that the radio stations have (i.e. Radio 1)? I'm not even sure where most kids go online to hear new music. Obviously YouTube and Spotify, but something must be guiding them towards particular artists?

I think film critics are still pretty influential in determining how well a film does (major studio PR juggernauts aside), because films are a) expensive to go and see and b) too long to make a snap judgement. Music, OTOH, seems so readily accessible these days. I expect a lot of people who aren't as obsessed with it as ppl like us are guided by reviews they read in the newspapers.

trilliam

music journalists are probably more powerful than any pr agent

the power pitchfork used to yield (its waned since) over the indie scene was almost scary and resident advisor has that same pull in the house world

denoir

Aren't Juno, Boomkat and other mp3 shops selling all the post-dubstep hybrids under the "uk funky" category more to blame for the confusion/misrepresentation than Hyperdub who actually did release a couple of proper funky instrumentals?

Funky never had a brand as big as Audio Rehab, the scene was never as cohesive as deep tech either, biggest tunes came out on white labels (+ itunes) X we have AR,House Ent, Recess, Eastside, MFR, etc releasing nearly every week. Most importantly, funky had this distinctive newness factor, while for many outsiders this is "just house" and if you try to make an "intelligent"/"tasteful" (watered down) version of this, you will easily end up with something that has been done before, since it's the scene-specific elements which make this sound "new".

trilliam

ye i touched on the infrastructure differences earlier but tbh the only real difference is the accessibility to music and what a difference that makes.

fully legitimizes the ting

got a tl for your set david? this is ace so far, not got to tazer yet.

Hugo´s ´string tek´ is like a deep-tech ´jumeirah riddim´or something, wicked.
I don't but I'll get one done later tonight or tomorrow, I'll edit this when I have it :)

EDIT- Here it goes:

London Brothers - Close To My Heart
AndMe. - Release Me (A-Lister Remix)
Area 8 - We Never
Mann&Klamm - Tropper
Shy Dee - Tuff Luv (Fraction Collective Remix)
London Brothers - Golden Star
Apollo 84 - Show You (Nightshift Remix)
Hugo Massien - Just Step
Kaz Daniels - Let Ma Tape Rok
Creative Mind - G-House
Funk Butcher - Shake your neck
Sammy W & Alex E - Flo Shake
Durty Fresh - Holla At Me
Nightshift - The Clash
Rs4 & Kane Law - Time Out
Low Steppa feat Natalie Wood - Drifting
Ill Blu - Melody
Hugo Massien - String Tek
--
Tazer's set
--
London Brothers - Ribbons In The Sky
Tinashe - Days In The West (Funkystepz Loveshy Mix)
Avon Stringer - Tell You No Lie (Dj S.K.T Remix)
M.O - Dance On My Own (Hostage Remix)
AndMe. & Bastian - Get No Love
AR - Just Be Good To Me
London Brothers - Wasting Time

I seen david M drop a review of House ENT on the spanish version of Mixmag on the low! as a guy whose opinions I find frequently aligning with my own I was pretty happy to see him do that.
Thanks! It's actually Dj Mag, but at the moment I don't really do anything other than write a few reviews every month. I got permission to do a larger feature on the sound as a whole, but I'm not really prepared or have the time to do something that big at the moment.

Aren't Juno, Boomkat and other mp3 shops selling all the post-dubstep hybrids under the "uk funky" category more to blame for the confusion/misrepresentation than Hyperdub who actually did release a couple of proper funky instrumentals?
Yeh I agree with this.

Last edited:
ukfunky.net was the closest thing you had to a hub or big digital label for funky when it was popping really but the digital distribution channels weren't there then really. It was more about people pressing their own vinyl up apart from the odd thing like It's Funky (which was uk funky's anyway I think- N.B. maybe?).

Most prolific was probably Spoilt Rotten?

Good to see deeptech has that strong infrastructure already there as it'll make it harder for people to jump in from the outside with "rude" samples or knockoff bass sounds and fuck it up

denoir

Inquiry: Who do you think is the right DJ to introduce deep tech to a new audience? Late teen/early 20s (+ some late 20s), really into grime, some garage, house & bass, not really trad house at all. The room is for approx. 300 people max, subby, dark/underground kind of venue with a druggy vibe, touristy as well.

Would like to book a deep tech dj to our Prague night (garage/house/bass) as a second headliner next to one who's more familiar to the local audience (perhaps Flava D). This dj would take the earlier headliner slot. Just want to test how it works really, I guess someone with faster style of mixing would fit the best. Would be nice to hear from ravers with first hand experience from deep tech nights (need to reach LDN myself asap).

blazey

Inquiry: Who do you think is the right DJ to introduce deep tech to a new audience? Late teen/early 20s (+ some late 20s), really into grime, some garage, house & bass, not really trad house at all. The room is for approx. 300 people max, subby, dark/underground kind of venue with a druggy vibe, touristy as well.

Would like to book a deep tech dj to our Prague night (garage/house/bass) as a second headliner next to one who's more familiar to the local audience (perhaps Flava D). This dj would take the earlier headliner slot. Just want to test how it works really, I guess someone with faster style of mixing would fit the best. Would be nice to hear from ravers with first hand experience from deep tech nights (need to reach LDN myself asap).

I'll come for free lol

blazey

Should really have said this earlier but I've already been commissioned by Fact to write the Deep Tech article (they approached me), just started interviewing producers/DJs for it, hopefully sitting down with Majesty on Friday which should be interesting. I know this looks stupid after my comments the other week but the way I see it I have an awareness of the possible implications of the article and as such should be able to provide an objective overview of the scene

Boom