2013 > 013 > 130

benjybars

village elder.
it's been pretty sleepy in here recently, but there's brilliant new cold recordings stuff from dissensus' own batu (phaedo) - out to you omar.

^^ some unreleased bits from various moody luminaries in there

been battering this mix!

NOSY

it's been pretty sleepy in here recently, but there's brilliant new cold recordings stuff from dissensus' own batu (phaedo) - out to you omar.

^^ some unreleased bits from various moody luminaries in there

More to do with Techno than the "130" thing lets be honest

said

More to do with Techno than the "130" thing lets be honest

definitely big techno influence but imo the mix sails straight between uk/hardcore continuum styles and techno... there's a bunch of beneath dubs, commodo on deep medi, cooly g as well as oni ayhun, stl etc

think you can hear that in the tunes too tbh

rubberdingyrapids

not hearing what all the reviews are hearing in the EMMA album... do like a handful of songs near the end and there's nothing wrong with it per se, but it seems like something that should/could have easily come out around 2009/2010 (is it already time for a 2010 revival?) - i dont hear very much thats truly distinct about it. also, rebel mc's vocals totally ruin an otherwise good track. ugh.

glasshand

dj panic attack
i liked Adam Harper's roundup of 2013 where he saw the keysound stuff as kind of the other side of the coin to the recent night slugs stuff -

http://www.dummymag.com/features/essay-meanwhile-in-the-uk-s-dance-underground

these two bits made sense to me...

"Keysound is exploring the circa 130bpm zone and highlighting a number of emerging producers there, but it nonetheless feels like every track they release is a unique marriage of high quality and a burning-edge inventiveness lying beyond the reach of those old maps, the ones that marked out “dubstep”, “grime” and “funky”. One way of looking at much of the stuff on and around this Keysound vibe might be as a darker version of the Jam City / Helix / L-Vis 1990 / Hysterics sound: just as interested in heavy syncopation at all layers, unusual timbres and sound effects and disjointed textures composed of several separate elements appearing in sequence, but preferring subtlety and UK dread to robo-athletic energy."

"In other words, it’s a polyrhythm squeezing as many as five evenly spaced sonic events into four ticks of the metronome (it’s not always the full five, often it’s just the first two or three, or just 1, 3 and 5, and so on) but with the straight “four” component practically absent. In some ways it’s the opposite of pure house, a sort of anti-house, separating all the “funky” syncopation out from “funky house”, flattening its alternation onto single, repeating timbres (pitched or percussive alike), and discarding the straight “house” beat."

with visionist's mix going up on Dis magazine alongside that one from hysterics, and releasing stuff on lit city, whose releases are on a similar tip to fade to mind, the connection seems to be there. something like mumdance and logos in reverse sounds to me almost like it could have come out on night slugs too.

http://www.factmag.com/2013/09/02/fact-mix-398-visionist/

Neana deserves a mention here as well i think. his tracks have been played out loads by the night slugs lot recently, but also by visionist and others. he's got similarities to the past-looking of beneath/keysound lot, but less of the subtlety - more intense. like taking old grime tunes into the future on bowkat 8 bar and his dizzee refix -

https://soundcloud.com/neanatrax

Blackdown

nexKeysound
Big week for us in this camp...

Sunday: Butterz v Keysound on Rinse 7-9pm. Elijah & Skilliam, Dusk + me v Wen v Logos + Mumdance v Luke Benjamin v Moleskin v Parris. E.m.m.a. on studio vibes.

Thurs: me & Dusk on Rinse by ourselves, 11-1am.

Friday: Butterz & Keysound at Fabric. Dusk + me, Wen, Logos, Rabit, Mumdance, Luke Benjamin, Moleskin, Parris. Hosted by Katja.

Mumdance & Logos "Genesis EP" http://boomkat.com/vinyl/830944-mumdance-logos-genesis-ep

Fresh Facta mix:
Goon Club Allstars Mssngno EP:
(later) Mssngno EP launch party:
(later) E.m.m.a. starts her own night with E.m.m.a. Etch, Sully, LV, Parris, DLVRY:

jimitheexploder

For some reason I've only just now caught up with Lost Codes Visionists label, jeez. The SD Laika is insane. They've got a release coming on Tri Angle in the near future, so looking forward to that.

Some one called Brood Ma is pretty insane and reminds me of that stuff too, but even odder, no idea if it could be tamed into something for the dance floor.

Can't get Murlo's stuff out of my head, sounds like he should soundtrack Far Cry 3.