REAL TRAP (/ TRVP) SHIT (SHITE?) 2013

Elijah

Butterz
yeah it works a lot better when its grime producers swapping grime percussion for lex luger snares and 808s vs brostep/trance producers tossing lex snares and southern rap samples around the same music they've always been making

:(

Webstarr

To be fair Elijah, anything sounds better than brostep producers using something with the music they've always been using. I get your point though, I think very few use them in grime and do it well.

jackjambie

Voodoo Priest
listened to 1xtra last night w/ kozzie in and some pretty next sounding grime mc from liverpool. v enjoyable but all of the "grime" tunes played throughout the show had trap beats. ALL of them. is this something that's pretty much just universal now in grime? noticed it with the tune in those big nars uncle pain vids too recently (which i love)...

have not been following grime properly since the midlands explosion and the last lord of the mics era, but yea, from that show alone i think it would be fair to say that the UK producers right now seem to be very much looking stateside for inspiration atm (and the mcs to some extent...)

Yeah, 90% of grime MCs are on "trap" beats now.

Instrumental side of things is on a different route altogether though.

jackjambie

Voodoo Priest
Yeah, 90% of grime MCs are on "trap" beats now.

Instrumental side of things is on a different route altogether though.

seeeeeen. yea heard a mix of yours on a future grime tip that i think you posted on here and it was sick slackkk mate bigup.

yea wow, so i thought as much for the vocal tracks. bit weird as i think it's not as immediately appealing as the US trap rap stuff right now. that said, i like this sort of thing - UK producers doing tracks for US vocalists -

it's the same with hud mo producing for kanye i guess ennit. or the UKG dude that did "hobson's choice" producing tracks on the tyga album. all very modern, very internet. global sonic scenes etc.

looking forward to danny brown on the new bug album too. think there's something very UK-appealing about him (like lots of grime guys reppin biggie and ODB as influences early on...). and death grips too.

guess rap's still just really exciting right now! it's certainly what i'm listening to...

jackjambie

Voodoo Priest
haha ooops peak, yea you know what i mean mate. future as in new and i'd not heard of anywayz ;) still, good stuff but yea, nothing like all the beats on 1xtra last night tho so yea guessing there's some divide going on in the scene right now then if a lot of ppl on the production side of things are also strong but going in another direction right now away from the US sound that mcs aren't drawn to....

i guess this is like the post giggs / road rap landscape though ennit so makes sense. nothing at all wrong with midlands mcs on 1xtra spitting over trap beats though, obviously!! just interesting.

in another news - kendrick lamar's 'swimming pools' on HEAVY rotation right now on the radio 1 A List. so that's kendrick and baauer making huge waves on UK mainstream radio right now.

no wonder UK mcs are spitting over US beats lol!

Secundus

I remember hearing Scrufizzer on Harlem Shake and thinking it was some crazy new grime instrumental mid last year :eek:

Elijah

Butterz
listened to 1xtra last night w/ kozzie in and some pretty next sounding grime mc from liverpool. v enjoyable but all of the "grime" tunes played throughout the show had trap beats. ALL of them. is this something that's pretty much just universal now in grime? noticed it with the tune in those big nars uncle pain vids too recently (which i love)...

have not been following grime properly since the midlands explosion and the last lord of the mics era, but yea, from that show alone i think it would be fair to say that the UK producers right now seem to be very much looking stateside for inspiration atm (and the mcs to some extent...)

I mean if you judged the state of Grime via Cameos show at any time in its history you would think things are bleak.

jackjambie

Voodoo Priest
I mean if you judged the state of Grime via Cameos show at any time in its history you would think things are bleak.

haha, is that who it was on elijah? mate ima take yours and slackk's words on all things grime here for sure, just thought it was unrelenting how trappy it had become since i last clocked a grime show on 1xtra! i thought it was a pretty good show tbh! good to see up north mcs continuing to make waves in grime too...just as an aside...

jackjambie

Voodoo Priest
I remember hearing Scrufizzer on Harlem Shake and thinking it was some crazy new grime instrumental mid last year :eek:

ennit! a mate of mine wheeled harlem shake like 10 times on his show when it was first out and i thought it was grime! also remember hearing it go OFF at a float at carnival last summer and thinking, wow that's not what i expected to hear and to happen at all. in fact, i think niggaz in paris was like one of the biggest tracks that year and that's kind of in the trap game ennit...not really but kind of. beez in the trap by nikki too, that got played on a big dancehall system right at the end.

carnival in the trap lol. fucking good times.

CrowleyHead

There's that one section of "Rap Rave" or whatever where he does the "YOU MUST STOP". If he'd made a song comprised entirely of that section, he'd be a genius. Instead, he's just Scrufizzer.

huffafc

Mumler
incredibly detailed and pretty fascinating explanation of how maker studios and mad decent, and then everyone from Viacom to Vimeo, threw gasoline on the 'harlem shake' fire:
http://qz.com/67991/you-didnt-make-the-harlem-shake-go-viral-corporations-did/

although i think it would be naive to be shocked at this or believe that many memes don't have similar corporate interests driving them, it is a pretty fascinating look at how companies now jump on and propel these things.

also, re:edmtrap, interesting to consider that with various internet-centric dance musics, this kind of bandwagon jumping, meme-feeding by big labels/stars etc is pretty common, no?

Secundus

incredibly detailed and pretty fascinating explanation of how maker studios and mad decent, and then everyone from Viacom to Vimeo, threw gasoline on the 'harlem shake' fire:
http://qz.com/67991/you-didnt-make-the-harlem-shake-go-viral-corporations-did/

although i think it would be naive to be shocked at this or believe that many memes don't have similar corporate interests driving them, it is a pretty fascinating look at how companies now jump on and propel these things.

also, re:edmtrap, interesting to consider that with various internet-centric dance musics, this kind of bandwagon jumping, meme-feeding by big labels/stars etc is pretty common, no?

man that article make the whole thing seem even more cynical than I thought.

Diplos definitely been feeding memes and jumping on bandwagons for a while though. That's arguably all he does