Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Which raises the question - is there anybody in today's music scene that could be compared to Bowie?

So what we're looking for is an auteur who effortlessly crosses the boundaries of rock, pop and dance music and is known for his lavish and decadent lifestyle, elaborate stage costumes and funkily angular dancing.

***PROGRAM WORKING: PROGRESS |--------------------| 100%***
***SOLUTION FOUND***

hat-jay-kay-590x350.jpg

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Kanye is possibly the only comparison there is in terms of artistic reinvention, bringing 'angular' ideas into the mainstream, showmanship and sheer ubiquity. Even then the differences probably outweigh the similarities.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Kanye occurred to me too, though the comparison would probably have droid spitting blood :D He's certainly an artist who consistently reinvents himself/his sound and draws on the contemporary musical trends as well as influencing/guiding them, and is simultaneously this commercial giant. Also the association with fashion culture and celebrity, etc... As you say, though, he's completely different from Bowie in all sorts of ways - but maybe that marks him out as more of an heir to Bowie's role than somebody who more obviously imitated him?

I don't really keep up with pop music so I don't know what sort of figure Lady Gaga really is but I get the sense that she is similar to Bowie in her theatricality.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
So what we're looking for is an auteur who effortlessly crosses the boundaries of rock, pop and dance music and is known for his lavish and decadent lifestyle, elaborate stage costumes and funkily angular dancing.

***PROGRAM WORKING: PROGRESS |--------------------| 100%***
***SOLUTION FOUND***

hat-jay-kay-590x350.jpg

:D

I can't find the Fast Show parody of Jay Kay on Youtube unfortunately. ''Don't get no melted chocolate on the seats of my Ferrari''

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Listening to 'Queen Bitch' right now - was this a sort of Lou Reed/Velvets rip off?

'It Ain't Easy' sounds like a Led Zeppelin song to me.

Sort of makes me wonder how often Bowie innovated and how often he imitated? Being unacquainted with rock music generally I certainly can't sort that out.

droid

Listening to 'Queen Bitch' right now - was this a sort of Lou Reed/Velvets rip off?

Yup.

'It Ain't Easy' sounds like a Led Zeppelin song to me.

Sort of makes me wonder how often Bowie innovated and how often he imitated? Being unacquainted with rock music generally I certainly can't sort that out.

That is the question. Bolan wasn't entirely happy with Ziggy. Diamond Dogs is where he really starts to come into his own I think, though MWSTW has some decidedly bizarre original moments.

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
:D

I can't find the Fast Show parody of Jay Kay on Youtube unfortunately. ''Don't get no melted chocolate on the seats of my Ferrari''

Ahh, you mean frontman Jeremy Kwee of Kumquat, performing their new single 'Car Pollution Hypocrisy' on Jazz Club? Nice.

Edit: blocked by the Beeb on copyright grounds apparently, bah. Definitely one of TFS's finest moments.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I suppose that's what people see as the real legacy of Bowie - that willingness to experiment.

At the risk of being showered in throat-blood, Radiohead are obviously an inheritor of that legacy, what with their (at the time) risky move into electronica after selling a bajillion copies of OK Computer and their persistent engagement with electronic music.

Of course, Radiohead would struggle to ever make anything as fun as 'Let's Dance'.

I did get a slight Radiohead vibe off 'Black Star', too, although perhaps the title it shares with a song off The Bends exaggerated the similarity.

In case anyone is interested, a documentary about Bowie is on Iplayer at the moment: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0214tj1 Haven't watched it yet but I plan to.

Last edited:

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
like I said re: gaga I have no idea what she is or does but I thought she was actually seen as a good thing by people who do know... Maybe that's more of a poptimist ILX view though?

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
I love pop music, but I have to say Lady Gaga leaves me absolutely cold. There's neither enough personality nor enough blankness for her music to be interesting.

I cannot understand why I have never listened to 'The Idiot' before this afternoon (thanks for the tip,whoever put it up on this thread). What a fantastic sounding record.

droid

I cannot understand why I have never listened to 'The Idiot' before this afternoon (thanks for the tip,whoever put it up on this thread). What a fantastic sounding record.

Lust for Life is regularly rated higher, but the idiot is the one for me. Mass production!

droid

Possibly his finest ever moment.

"Though i try to die... you put me back on the line..."

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
I love pop music, but I have to say Lady Gaga leaves me absolutely cold. There's neither enough personality nor enough blankness for her music to be interesting.

I think the main thing that grates about her is that she comes across as desperately try-hard, a real "OMG I'm so wacky!!" vibe that Bowie never had because even at his most theatrical and ridiculous it didn't come across as contrived.