There's no such thing as Margaret Thatcher

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
Blair is equally loathsome though. New Labour are/were c8nts, perhaps even more so than Thatcher for their pretence of being even vaguely 'Left'. At least she had the decency not to hide what she was (well, in certain respects).

I dunno if this is entirely fair - New Labour did plough an astonishing amount of money into the NHS and education, came to some sort of agreement on Northern Ireland, introduced the minimum wage, repealed Section 28, effectively decriminalized cannabis possession, reformed the Lords, effected significant devolution for Scotland and Wales...can you see a (literally) Thatcherite govt doing all or any of these things? The point still stands about Labour being in thrall to the almighty Market, but there *are* issues that distinguish them from the Tories.

And yeah, it's easy to forget how much Thatcher was hated not just by the left but by her own party, especially initially. I'm sure a lot of this can be explained simply by a reaction to her sex but I think some of it was for good reasons, too - old-fashioned conservatives (conservatives in the literal sense, as opposed to neoliberals) who could see the direction she was taking the country in and didn't like it.

Last edited:

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
I'd rather have a Labour government than what we have at the moment, but that doesn't mean I don't think they're despicable. Lesser of two evils etc. It really is a grim choice. Seeing those wankers praise Thatcher and promise to get 'tougher on welfare' - just sickening.

And as to the first wave of new labour, Blair did a better impression of being a human being. Alarming, since it was still one of the least convincing impressions in history.

I dunno if this is entirely fair - New Labour did plough an astonishing amount of money into the NHS and education, came to some sort of agreement on Northern Ireland, introduced the minimum wage, repealed Section 28, effectively decriminalized cannabis possession, reformed the Lords, effected significant devolution for Scotland and Wales...can you see a (literally) Thatcherite govt doing all or any of these things? The point still stands about Labour being in thrall to the almighty Market, but there *are* issues that distinguish them from the Tories.

Last edited:

rubberdingyrapids

dissapointed milliband didnt take up the chance to stick the boot in on channel4 news the other night. pathetic actually. had to wait for gerry adams to put things in sharper, less foggy perspective.

pleased to see the demos/celebrations in brixton and elsewhere. also seemed weird - reminded me of all the protests i saw on the news as a kid in the 80s. wonder if anyone from the present generation will do the same when blair dies.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
I was giving Miliband the benefit of the doubt for a while (in not being a total prick, so not much benefit, but still), but it's now quite clear that he's a cowardly shit.

"had to wait for gerry adams to put things in sharper, less foggy perspective" - perhaps the first time this phrase has ever been uttered! Did they have someone do his voice?

Yeah, the demos were good - the people in Glasgow made everyone else look positively restrained, at least from youtube videos. The reorganisation of the Ritzy sign (in Brixton) was sheer class, and is currently my screensaver.

When Blair dies, I am certain there will be celebrations. Maybe even more, bizarrely.

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Osborne's tears for Thatcher. What a monstrous piece of shit.

Nothing insightful to say, but Britain really is a wretched place in its subservience to the powerful. A nation of people who can't criticise their parents (both literal and national-metaphorical).

Last edited:

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
In fairness, a hell of a lot of people clearly are criticizing Thatcher, aren't they? They may not be receiving as much coverage in the official channels as the mourners and tribute-payers, but that's another issue.

Patrick Swayze

I'm trying to shut up
Also standing in front of parliament (where it is now illegal to stage protests as far as I know) saying how we wouldn't be living in a democracy if people weren't allowed to protest.

lol

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
In fairness, a hell of a lot of people clearly are criticizing Thatcher, aren't they? They may not be receiving as much coverage in the official channels as the mourners and tribute-payers, but that's another issue.

So many people are standing up for her that I feel sick, that's all I know. I agree that the monomania of the media make sit worse, though

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
540158_169671589858456_2015985179_n.jpg

Anyone else a fan of this page? It's easily my favourite page on facebook at the moment.