So, Lily Allen then...

CrowleyHead

IT DOESN'T SOUND ANYTHING LIKE "GOT TO GIVE IT UP".

THIS IS THE CORNIEST SHIT IN THE WORLD.

STOP PERPETUATING THIS MYTH.

"GENERIC UP-BEAT SOUL/DISCO RECORD SOUNDS LIKE GENERIC UP-BEAT SOUL/DISCO RECORD", YEAH, NO SHIT.

hucks

Your Message Here
deit: way too late, didn't see mistersloane had posted it ages ago, to which crackerjack had already replied with another good piece

anyway, I've read some good stuff on the internet about this and i agree with much of it. There.

Last edited:

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Robin Thicke does rhyme with ''Robbing Prick'' though.

The Lily Allen song is atrocious but I feel like anybody who had to endure being brought up by Keith Allen should probably be treated with the same indulgence as former child soldiers.

crackerjack

In an interview with GQ's Stelios Phili, Thicke explained: "Pharrell and I were in the studio and [...] I was like, 'Damn, we should make something like that ["Got to Give It Up"], something with that groove.' Then he started playing a little something and we literally wrote the song in about half an hour and recorded it.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blurred_Lines

OMFG, RESPONDS TO CROWLEYHEAD IN BIG SHOUTY CAPS WITH STICKY-OUT TONGUE.

rubberdingyrapids

im still not sure if it uses a chopped up sample from GTGIU or not but its pretty obvious that blurred lines sounds a fair bit like got to give it up, sorry crowley.

that sophie heawood piece is good, not read the quietus one yet. i feel i dont need to really, i think i can predict all the arguments already.

tbh i suspected lilly allen was a patronising cow when she first came out. i remember reading an interview sarcastically quoting 'boo' (ms dynamite) as her favourite lyric. the cultural condescension was pretty clear.

Last edited:

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
It's a pretty clear of rip of Got to Give it Up, no?

edit: Sorry, a point already made, I see. Yeah, I think it is, Rich, more in the rhythm than the melody line. Thicke and Pharrell have launched a pre-emptive legal suit to stop Marv's family suing. Fuck knows how that works.

Oh yeah, i do recall hearing this now - tbh bizarrely I wasn't familiar with that Marvin song.

I was going to say that the beat on Blurred Lines sounds like a preset from a Casio keyboard I had in the 1980s. But not quite as good. The fact that Thicke also comes across as a misogynist plastic troll makes it satisfyingly easy to hate him and his music.

lol @ Corpsey's Lily Allen line. But for the most part I think she escaped that terrible fate, cos he left them when she was very young. Damage already done though, perhaps.

IdleRich

IdleRich
I heard about the pre-emptive lawsuit, but not that they'd admitted it as an influence. If he really said that then it's hard for him to argue that it's not an influence isn't it?

crackerjack

I heard about the pre-emptive lawsuit, but not that they'd admitted it as an influence. If he really said that then it's hard for him to argue that it's not an influence isn't it?

I guess it's not influence but plagiarism that needs proving for a lawsuit to be successful. That quote won't help him any, though.

IdleRich

IdleRich
The one bit in the video (but not song) which clearly relates to Allen only is the silver balloons spelling out that she's got a baggy pussy. That's kinda brave or at least unusual isn't it?

baboon2004

Darned cockwombles.
Those damned puritans, stopping us enjoying our rapey sexual advances!

Quite how stupid one would have to be to single out the reaction to Blurred Lines as a prime example of conservatism in America, is at the present time unclear. Scientists are dumbfounded.