KAN YAY OR KAN NAY? (The Kanye West Thread)

luka

You listen to it then. You can write me a sassy review. Tell me how many stars out of five you give it. 🌟 🌟 🌟 🌟

luka

At least he didn't sacrifice his first born to Satan. At least he's not a holocaust denier. At least he hasn't tried to mount a coup in equatorial Guinea

trza

so kanye samples section 25 and classic house music and he is the bad guy while tyga takes awful euro trance and slows it down and he is the good guy?

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Listening to his first two albums, it's a reminder of how 'backpack'-y he used to be - it's not at all weird to hear Common and Talib Kweli popping up. I know consciousness/politics is still part of his music but he seems to have become more deliberately vulgar in recent years. Perhaps this is because of his collaborators, which now includes people like Travi$ Scott? I know Rhymefest used to write his lyrics so maybe it's also just a change in ghostwriters?

One thing about Kanye as a rapper is I think he's got a great voice. You can't give him credit for his lyrics, really, but his delivery makes those lyrics really pop.

Was also thinking last night that this has got to be one of the best Timbaland beats ever by somebody who isn't Timbaland:

luka

So I am 20 years old and like to write songs rap has been my favorite since just a kid and like to know what people think:)this is kind of an angry song lol but hope y'all like hate is welcomes please comment
"Life hard"

Just so fucking angry at life
Shit hurts so bad like getting stabbed with a knife
Thinking to myself was I meant to be here
Even tho dying is my biggest fear
If I ended it no one would Ben sweat a tear
Try my best to make everyone fuckig happy
But realize sometimes it doesn't work
So I think to myself should I go crazy n pop a perk
Sometime I feel like life needs to end
But than realize the pain I would put into my best friend
Everyone was born for a fucking reason
Whether you like it or not
Someone different every day is fucking shot
Fucking kids bringing guns into their school
Wanting to shoot the pale up cuz they thinks it's cool
I just can't stand the world we live in
We all need to make changes
Like a losing team who can't win
Rip to all the people who die
It's just so fucking hard to just survive
You have to be careful everywhere u go
You wouldn't think so
Got crazy people all around
If you go to the wrong place at the wrong time
Your head could be bleeding on the fucking ground
Got people shooting guns robbing homes
Why can't everyone just leave everyone alone
Just should be fucking happy that your alive
Do what u gotta do to survive
It just sucks that's the hard part
Some people aren't born with a full healthy heart
Uh just wish we can live forever
When do I really wanna die ?
fucking never
Sometimes I wish no one could die
Sometimes I wish I could get wings and just fucking fly
Fly away from all this bullshit
Everyone In this fucking world should fit
No one is perfect not even you or you
Got situations your in where u just don't know what to do
Better be careful with people you fuck wit
Crazy people are just everywhere
Just gotta make sure your full aware
Some people r rich some r poor
It's just not fucking fair
Just want to be happy is that hard to ask for
I guess so when u live in te world like we do
People are so heartless they don't even care about the poor
People caring about drugs more
End up overdosing in the bathroom floor

rubberdingyrapids

beats on the album are kinda weedy for the most part arent they? get em high is terrible. but it also has spaceship, jesus walks, slow jamz, school spirit, two words, family business, and through the wire. new work out plan is funny too. the rest i can live without. now i know most hip hop posters on dissensus like their rappers to be selling dope on the corner, but i quite like old kanye, complaining about working at the gap and fantasising about killing his co-workers/managers. actually, funny thing about listening to it now is just how for all the 'conscious', 'positive' hype around kanye at the time, the first song starts off dedicated to the drug dealers, etc. that track wasnt on the promo that was leaked. i guess that was an early indication of kanye showing he was going to straddle all the diff rap sects. he wasnt going to be THAT safe. also that was when you had a lot of d-boy rappers, so that was kind of savvy maybe. shows he didnt want to be seen as being all holier than thou (i think this is when 'conscious' guys like kweli and mos def were worried about the same thing, and a lot of backpacker fans felt this was backtracking... was an interesting moment in hip-hop, without even getting into the whole 'kanye bringing that REAL boom bap back' stuff).

the little jimmy skits are funny, and i think most people who have been through higher education can relate, but listening to it now, i cant help but see it as part of the anti intellectualism you get in a lot of hip hop, from someone who should perhaps know better (his mum was a lecturer after all), or maybe its just kanye rebelling - he did drop out of college etc.

classic common quote. 'real rappers are hard to find... like a remote'. lol.

Last edited:

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
'Jesus Walks' is the stand-out on TCD, a masterpiece of sorts and still pretty amazing to hear today. Can't think of many/any other rap songs that sound like it.

Re: conscious rap

BcmvKtrCYAE2Fgi.png:large

luka

listen to get rich and die trying now and basically every songs a classic. even reading the names of old kanye songs will make you cringe. he did do a number on 50. remember when they went head to head in a sales battle like blur and oasis? that felt like a real changing of the guard moment.

luka

Don't know enough about the chronology to say nut 50 got a lot of shit for the sing song hooks didn't he.

rubberdingyrapids

yeah but 50 does a diff style thats more direct, visceral, not really at all introverted or reflective. that lends itself better to an album of straight back to back bangers. kanyes album isnt really like that. GROTD is a better album (not his debut though, like college dropout, to be fair). but kanyes a producer turned rapper. 50s a proper rapper.

trza

Ironically it was 50 who went after Ja Rule for sing a long hooks and off tune "HOLLLLLLAAAAAAA!" refrains just a few years previously.