KAN YAY OR KAN NAY? (The Kanye West Thread)

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
if you have a friend who's an alcoholic, it's a disease and you want to help them. but then one day they come to a bbq at your parents house and turn up wasted and start smashing your mum's china, and you might not want to be friends with them after that even though you still sympathise and it's in large part caused by the disease

well no, I wouldn't invite them to my parents house. What a colossally stupid idea.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
Not sure i agree with the parasites stuff, this is his own doing man. Illness or not you don't just get people turning up and saying hey lets go full nazi on infowars and you go along with it

The man has gone down the rabbit hole

idk, when I was psychotic I thought I had a high tech world cybernetic army at my control which I could communicate with. It can be his own doing but people can clearly take advantage of him as well (especially if he's under the delusion he has a cosmological narritive.) the two are not mutually exclusive.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
anyway I'm largely team Kan Nay - stopped following him after MDTF cos he's always had this approach of a coctail of ideas which don't gell together, so I'll leave it to the msnbc mom pundits to psychoanalyse him. I tbf have bigger fish to fry.

sus

I don't think we have a good enough conceptual grasp on causality or cognition or mental illness to coherently talk about whether an individual is "responsible" for a given action, let alone whether we can attribute it to the medication or the individual or the mental illness. All we have are social norms around blame attribution which ultimately get their reality from the pragmatics of social control and normative enforcement.

sus

Given that a question like "is this his mental illness talking" is basically unanswerable I think the only thing we can coherently talk about is whether it's productive or unproductive to treat Kanye (or anyone) one way versus another. Does compassion help or hurt. (Not just Kanye but at a social level: precedents set, mimetic modeling.)

linebaugh

think kanyes passed the point of giving a pass. if there was an 'ideal' way to treat him as a public, which in every instance means 'how do we talk about it', it would be to ignore him at this point.

linebaugh

Fi8XdYVXoAAtnwc.jpeg

To pivot from the nazism, this tweet and its aftermath was some of the most fun Ive ever had on twitter last night

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
can you OD and die from mushrooms?
I read a psilocybin mushroom FAQ once years ago, and one of the questions was "Can you OD on shrooms?" The answer was "It has been estimated that the LD50 of mushrooms for a human is about equal to one's own bodyweight. WE DO NOT RECOMMEND THAT YOU TRY THIS. However, if you do, and survive, *please* submit a trip report, and don't forget to include a description of your growing tek."

Fame induced psychosis will probably be in the DSM in a few years. Delusions of grandeur that interact with and become real within meme world. The sheer amount of feedback must be madly addictive, thrilling debilitating too

version

I read a psilocybin mushroom FAQ once years ago, and one of the questions was "Can you OD on shrooms?" The answer was "It has been estimated that the LD50 of mushrooms for a human is about equal to one's own bodyweight. WE DO NOT RECOMMEND THAT YOU TRY THIS. However, if you do, and survive, *please* submit a trip report, and don't forget to include a description of your growing tek."

I once ate hundreds of Liberty Caps and just ended up vomiting everywhere.

ghost

Reviving this thread because rumblings say we're getting ready for a Yeezy return. Unclear how it can possibly be stage-managed at this point. Dov Charney is apparently now the CEO of Yeezy, which constitutes some kind of hyper-nexus of bad karma.

The problem for us all is, a new album is apparently coming, and it allegedly sounds "insane".

I've had a lot of conversations about this track, which is technically from the Donda 2 sessions, but I think only broke into mainstream view after the cancellation:
The problem is that it seems like Kanye's new work just might have enough gravity that it'll keep shaping trends, even though reporting this fact is not really acceptable to anyone. It's a little like a black hole—emitting no light, but changing everything's direction. I can't think of any analagous situation since Herbert Spencer got cancelled.

In fashion, JW Anderson is finally pulling us away from the Yeezy aesthetic, but it's unclear if it's really gonna stick, or if less talented designers will be able to iterate and execute on it.