KAN YAY OR KAN NAY? (The Kanye West Thread)

trza

I always like to have little bit of a sense for when I am being misled or run around or persuaded, but this kanya thing has all the marks of modern viral marketing to get men of a certain age to get their prostates examined. Rappers today have to find multiple streams of income and taking some money from the prostate health foundation to get more men his age to have people stick fingers in there is probably for the best even if he is getting paid AND getting his massage.

luka

Sectionfive

bandwagon house
Its not like you know, he's of the age group that grew up on songs like that or is from Chicago?

yeah that's but even more reason to expect someone with West resources and talent to do better than lifting loops wholesale from tunes you'd find on every 'house classics' cd. A dance producer of similar status would be slated for it.

CrowleyHead

yeah that's but even more reason to expect someone with West resources and talent to do better than lifting loops wholesale from tunes you'd find on every 'house classics' cd. A dance producer of similar status would be slated for it.

You know in a world where this guy is obviously going to have to pay royalties for it (because to try and deny that in sample clearance would be nightmarish), and is going to reintroduce house proper (as opposed to EDM) to some of his fans whom might be ignorant to house proper because their only exposures to house due to being too young or isolated might be like... Kygo or whatever... Is that the WOOOOORST case scenario?

Sectionfive

bandwagon house
going to reintroduce house proper (as opposed to EDM) to some of his fans

dunno if I buy that tbh or would give it the same weight but the tune sounds like something he made on his phone in the taxi over

droid

You know in a world where this guy is obviously going to have to pay royalties for it (because to try and deny that in sample clearance would be nightmarish)

Doesnt he have a history of filching stuff wholesale and trying to avoid paying for the privilege?

droid

Ha. No, Im thinking more about him settling out of court for gold digger and the blatant attempt to rip off an Aphex tune.

CrowleyHead

Ha. No, Im thinking more about him settling out of court for gold digger and the blatant attempt to rip off an Aphex tune.

IDK about the Gold Digger case but in the case of the Aphex thing Richard denied the sample use, so they had someone play it over as an actual piano piece as opposed to the pastiche.

Because Richard thought 'it sounds a bit shit', but he thinks releasing an album like his last one is well and good.

droid

“[Kanye] tried to fucking rip me off and claim that he’d written it, and they tried to get away with not paying,” Aphex Twin’s Richard D James claimed in a new interview with Pitchfork. Although James insists he was “really helpful” following West’s enquiries, offering to send a polished version of the Avril 14th sample, “re-played” at a different speed, the MC’s camp was reportedly nothing but rude. He claims: “They totally didn’t even say ‘hello’ or ‘thanks’, they just replied with, ‘It’s not yours, it’s ours, and we’re not even asking you any more.’”

CrowleyHead

crowley gets it direct from the stars

Listen, this is true.

But I'll be damned if I care about Aphex Twin in 2016. Its like caring about Massive Attack ever, it just shouldn't be done by someone in my age bracket.

A good deal of you lot are working towards your pensions, its more appropriate for you to waste time on Syro or whatever that nonsense was called.

droid

lol, I guess the point I wanted to make was that I'd have no more reason to believe an account from a self serving narcissist than I would a sometime media prankster. Less in fact.