which country is responsible for the worst music?

martin

----
jwd said:
What's the story with "Ha! Ha! Funny Polis" - who's it by etc. etc.??

I'll have to dig it out again, it's a compilation EP from (I think) 1978 and a Rock Against Racism benefit...the bands are complete unknowns, I did wonder if it was the same band putting a different name on each track but that's probably racist (these Scots, they all sound the same to me, etc). One of the bands is called Defiant Pose. It's fast, trashy, jangly, singalong in your face stuff, with lyrics about being kicked down the stairs at the local cop shop, the kids uniting to beat up the polis, not wanting to work in an office cos it's BORING, etc. I picked it up off some market stall with a damaged sleeve yonks ago.

matt b

Indexing all opinion
i was thinking wales, but then i remembered acrimony.
but then i remembered arhenfrhn (can't spell or pronounce their name, but they were rubbish) and the cowboy killers, so it puts the welsh back in the frame.

O

Omaar

martin said:
I'd say the worst places for music are Wales and New Zealand.

Please elaborate on what's terrible about music from New Zealand. Not being defensive, just curious.

martin

----
Omaar said:
Please elaborate on what's terrible about music from New Zealand. Not being defensive, just curious.

To be honest, I'm only going on Crowded House - I haven't heard any others. The honest truth is I'm prejudiced against Kiwis.

stelfox

Beast of Burden
marcus, the avalanches are terriffic. i was also waiting for mr dale to show up and give us both a pasting, too.
plastic bertrand was from brussels, therefore belgian.
belgium is totally redeemed by nu-beat and R&S records, the french have some wicked music so whoever decided to include them is quite barmy, the welsh have those singing coalminers from the pet shop boys' version of go west, the japanese are fine - plenty of good japanese music, not least the boredoms. no, still scotland for me.

bassnation

the abyss
matt b said:
i was thinking wales, but then i remembered acrimony.
but then i remembered arhenfrhn (can't spell or pronounce their name, but they were rubbish) and the cowboy killers, so it puts the welsh back in the frame.

is that the total culmination of your knowledge of welsh bands? cowboy killers? lol.

for a start, you've omitted john cale, v. suprising for an ultra trendy hipster such as yourself. for those of us who don't think "house" is a dirty word, you've got bands like k-klass (from wrexham). i could also recount the billions of noise and punk bands i saw in wales in the eighties, but frankly i can't be bothered.

still, outrageously sweeping generalisations damning huge groups of people arbitarily are de riguer on dissensus - so its good to see you've got your finger on the pulse, mr burrows.

Last edited:

jwd

stelfox said:
marcus, the avalanches are terriffic.

how could i forget them? terrific indeed. thanks for pulling me up on that one, dave.

stelfox said:
i was also waiting for mr dale to show up and give us both a pasting, too.

well i'm nothing if not drearily predictable.

stelfox

Beast of Burden
(well this stupid thread does kind of beg for someone to crop up and talk sense from a knowledgable, half-sensible perspective!)

Chef Napalm

Lost in the Supermarket
mms said:
what about australia??
anti
inxs
jason donovan
concorde dawn
angry anderson
that cancer bird who does the advert
savage garden
midnight oil
anyone else practically
All cancelled by Rolf Harris, I'm afraid. That wobbly board in "Tie Me Kangaroo Down"; genius. Also the home of the Modular label.

My vote is still for Crapan.

reposed

jwd said:
australia: umm, okay. extradition. master's apprentices. go-betweens. the scientists. feedtime. hoss. sunset strip. small world experience. the moles. severed heads. spk. laughing hands. ed kuepper/laughing clowns. primitive calculators. voigt 456. the apartments. lighthouse keepers. essendon airport. makers of the dead travel fast. tame omearas. minimum chips. the particles. hi-god people. solids. dworzec. the cannanes. chris smith. pateras/baxter/brown. oren ambarchi. the necks. robbie avenaim. the lost domain. dne. ugly ugly ugly. the saints. the birthday party (bad seeds my ass - everything after the first three records is bollocks, "deanna" excepted.) the bee gees. lobby lloyde.

whoa.. can't add much to that
cept late 70s early 80s -- bodysnatchers, slugfuckers, fungus brains, sick things, just urbain
actually just go direct to http://www.collectorscum.com/volume3/ozpunk.html

more recently -- dirty three, pimmon, lucas abela's dual plover label

jwd said:
mms, i love you, but your disbelief re: the dead c is entirely too predictable. i do like your theory though. so when i saw them live twice last month, i was probably actually watching the ben watson group, right?
that must be a record. i lived in their hometown for 7 years and and managed to see them twice.

matt b

Indexing all opinion
bassnation said:
is that the total culmination of your knowledge of welsh bands? cowboy killers? lol.

hang on, i mentioned THREE welsh bands. i think that's quite a lot considering ;)

bassnation said:
for a start, you've omitted john cale,.

on purpose- he hasn't lived in wales for twenty years, so i discounted him.

bassnation said:
v. suprising for an ultra trendy hipster such as yourself.

thanks ;)

bassnation said:
still, outrageously sweeping generalisations damning huge groups of people arbitarily are de riguer on dissensus - so its good to see you've got your finger on the pulse, mr burrows.

i'm getting there, i'm getting there...

"if you're not from wales, you can listen to tom jones, but you can't hear him"

soi

right, i'm going to bang my particular obscure drum: sri lanka. i have never been to a country and so thoroughly disliked every single thing I've heard. It's all almost exactly the same: like one of those casio keyboard auto-chord backing tracks endlessly looped, then sung over tunelessly. As if they used to have good music, but at some point someone's gone through the entire back-catalogue and replaced all recordings with Muzak versions.

it's got so bad that I find myself listening to the cheesy FM stations HOPING to hear kenny rogers ffs.

ah, feels good to get that out of my system - carry on!

bassnation

the abyss
matt b said:
"if you're not from wales, you can listen to tom jones, but you can't hear him"

ha ha! my god, how could i have forgotten tom jones! i should relinguish my welsh nationality immediately for a slip up like that. ;)

my family knew him when he was still a brickie gigging round the local pubs. i seem to remember he nearly got lynched at a workingmans club in trinant for some ill-advised between song banter. my other tangental claim to fame is that my uncle once had a fight with neil kinnock on a school bus when they were kids, plus my sister once went out with nicky wire.

its a small world, especially in the valleys, where everyone is related to one another! ;)

martin

----
soi said:
sri lanka. i have never been to a country and so thoroughly disliked every single thing I've heard. It's all almost exactly the same: like one of those casio keyboard auto-chord backing tracks endlessly looped, then sung over tunelessly.

No more posts about MIA please, I beg you

jwd

egg said:
c'mon the bee gees are ours aint they?

sorry mate. (note australian colloquialism.) although the gibb brothers were born in england they emigrated to australia at a young age, and started their career here in about 1963 - they released a few australian-only singles and albums before heading back to england in 67 to try their luck. so yep, we can PROUDLY claim the bee gees as our own.

jwd

reposed said:
bodysnatchers, slugfuckers, fungus brains, sick things, just urbain... dirty three, pimmon, lucas abela's dual plover label

slugfuckers! fungus brains! (slaps forehead) such great stuff. we should add that slugfuckers offshoot rhythmx chymx. (amazing split record with severed heads, i only heard it thanks to the great phil t.) also remember venom p stinger. sekret sekret. minit. david haines. joyce hinterding. stasis duo. peter blamey. tim catlin. candlesnuffer. crow. love positions. holy ghosts. all great. must confess i always found the dirty three way too melodramatic.

reposed said:
that must be a record. i lived in their hometown for 7 years and and managed to see them twice.

well, the dead c did six gigs in australia in two weeks, which must have been exhausting for them.

DigitalDjigit

Honky Tonk Woman
Listing good music is off-topic. It's all about the worst. I think Russia has been very crap for a while. From dance pop that all sounds the same to their horrible rap immitations and Backstreet Boys immitations and ancient pop stars that won't go away.