RAP 2014

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Praying him and metro boomin drop a classic soon. Praying him and 808 Mafia drop a classic soon.

Rich Gang tape is full of next level autogoon piff. Rich Homie Quan was ace on it too. All my favourite rappers ATM more or less are auto tune abusers. Check out Monster Danny its very very good.

The rapper I currently love who falls outside of all that is Roc Marciano who is the polar opposite to Young Thug but I heard praising Thugga in an interview today. Listen to "Bruh Man" if you haven't. Everything he says sounds cool/fly/dope/def.

DannyL

Wild Horses
Downloading the Monster NO DJ as I speak. A friend said it pays repeated listens. Looking forwards to it! Got that and the Boosie to get through before I renounce rap!

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
It'll be interesting to see if rap responds to the Eric Garner/Mike Brown situations, or if its been too depoliticised by this point.

rubberdingyrapids

rappers have tweeted about it.

killer mike has a video from a show he did talking about it.

i wouldnt expect rick ross to mention it though.

rubberdingyrapids

yeah of course not.

i cant be bothered listing mixtapes, but has anyone made a list of their favourite/best rap albums this year? mine are something like thiiiiiis - busdriver, YG, dj mustard (10 summers), shabazz palaces, run the jewels, dj quik, open mike eagle. i think this list kinds shows how big the gulf between good albums and the flavour of rap as a whole is these days.

rubberdingyrapids

not sure about rap not having leaders though - ross is still relevant (if not quite like he was), so is drake, kanye, jay-z, lil wayne, to varying degrees. dont see them being knocked off just yet. not saying they are setting the tone as such (theyre almost just leaders by default, not necessarily cos they are all at their best, i think drake might even have peaked actually), but they are def still influential, if only cos of their commercial position. migos are pretty influential too, tho in a diff way.

CrowleyHead

There's too many pockets to have a defined leader in rap these days. Los Angeles has YG as the obvious leader of the commercial scene, and the alternative scene has Kendrick, but their goals are so rampantly different. YG honed his sound in and developed a style after being influenced by his generations icons... 50, Gucci, Soulja, Wayne, etc. Whereas Kendrick makes songs directly in the style of other people "This is my I Am Trying To Be Andre 3000 Song" etc. The Bay, as per usual, is a highly populated and talented and ignored scene of real talent.

Atlanta is currently undergoing the Futuristic movement, where a lot of the acts blowing up like Rich Kidz, Thug, Future, and others have been rapping for almost a decade now. It's been a regional sub-current beneath the "Crunk" generation who held the mainstream recognition and rarely allowed the others to come up alongside them.

Chicago is torn because Keef obviously was the biggest thing to happen to their scene ever and remains such, but there's all the regional subtext of neighborhoods, stylistic intention, 'lyricism', 'authenticity'. Chance is probably the other biggest rapper in Chicago technically, but I can't take him too serious because he's SOOOO indebted to Kendrick and his music suggests he's going to go further and further out of making rap for the genre and making rap for a commercial audience.

And then you get into the fact that majors are literally signing up bad clones left and right. Take Dej Loaf for example; Noz on a podcast offered that she used to be your generic post-Curren$y 'college rapper', the same way OG Maco used to make similar music. I haven't heard the evidence, I don't need to. But she's been instantly signed off the buzz of one hit, whereas there are tons of rappers in the Detroit area who can't get the attention she gets, like Icewear Vezzo or Doughboyz Cashout. How much of it is a certain amount of the labels being in adamant denial of an artist's progress in a region?

But of course, the flipside is that the artists aren't necessarily progressing just because they get buzz and regional success. Iamsu finally dropped an album, but his rapping never evolved past those initial Drake meets Wiz attempts, and his production style has fallen apart. But then again, he also hitched his star to Sage The Gemini, who's a massive national success with his hit singles, even though nobody in the critical audience gives him HALF the rapt attention of these Dej/Maco types.

And the other aspect of that is that in this decade, the rap audience has become so contemptuous of the genre its supposed to like. They love their rappers so overtly WEIRD and want to avoid having to deal with the dreck of rappers adhering to cliche and the monotony that comes with some of them saying the same shit with only slight variations. They want some sort of unique quality like they claimed they kept finding in Wayne, but Wayne's talent was in lyricism and in technique. He didn't overtly do wild and crazy things, those were just bumps in the road while he stayed his course and did whatever the fuck he wanted. Its why I'm more enthralled with Quan than Thug on the Rich Gang tape, because Quan's finally really developed a style he's been working on for about a year or two, and he's doing great in it, whereas I still feel Thug is not there yet.

luka

yeah hes lost in space. cant beleive no one wants to get behind hobbit rap though

craner

Beast of Burden
Crowley should have his own column. I didn't have a clue what he was on about in that last post, but I felt like I did when I was reading it, and it sounded great.

rubberdingyrapids

And the other aspect of that is that in this decade, the rap audience has become so contemptuous of the genre its supposed to like. They love their rappers so overtly WEIRD and want to avoid having to deal with the dreck of rappers adhering to cliche and the monotony that comes with some of them saying the same shit with only slight variations. They want some sort of unique quality like they claimed they kept finding in Wayne, but Wayne's talent was in lyricism and in technique. He didn't overtly do wild and crazy things, those were just bumps in the road while he stayed his course and did whatever the fuck he wanted. Its why I'm more enthralled with Quan than Thug on the Rich Gang tape, because Quan's finally really developed a style he's been working on for about a year or two, and he's doing great in it, whereas I still feel Thug is not there yet.

this is true. i dont really get all the 'young thug is a genius' stuff. i mean i like him, hes interesting, but hes not that far off being like lil b, someone whos off the wall and different, but maybe just not all that good? at least not yet, but you can tell theres something new going on there. or maybe hes just put out too much music so the truly great stuff is buried by all the so-so material (for every trigger finger, i feel like he has ten songs he just blurted out while in the studio). either way, i wanted to say i dont know who really is wanting their rappers to be 'weird' apart from pitchfork reading/writing types. the most popular rappers arent all that weird. its just critics who like to zoom in on anything vaguely weird, cos the parameters have changed, and its like rap standards (or post-pitchfork rap standards at least) have some sort of post-kool keith scale now.

DannyL

Wild Horses
I think I'm Wit Ya by Boosie just singlehandedly saved the music for me. Jesus, it made me well up. Thinking about the full context of the song, it's incredible for him. From what I've read about Boosie, he sounds like he occupies that leader position in the South.

This Future is super hard as well. Kinda polar opposite to Boosie - one is redemptive, inspiring and moving on, while the other is hella lost and wasted.

I agree about Crowley's posts! Good stuff.

Last edited:

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I think weirdness has been a big thing in rap music post Lil Wayne. Kanye also has had a big influence in that regard, starting out fairly conventionally but then helping to popularise things like auto tune and wearing leather trousers and skirts etc. Fashion in hip hop has definitely become more flamboyant in recent years. Then there was the rise of Gucci Mane, who is a pretty weird rapper, too, and that can't be attributed to pitchfork. In fact the rise of the south helped usher all this weirdness in, it seems to me, because it was such a different sound with intense accents and colourful electro influenced production etc. Oh and then there's Eminem, another (self proclaimed) weirdo who of course gave birth to Odd Future et al. This stuff is why 50 Cent went from number one to looking like an irrelevant Grandad figure. (Although G-Unit seem to be coming back a bit now.) And why Troy Ave calls Kendrick Lamar a "weirdo rapper".

It'd be interesting to know what rappers are popular with a " rap audience " these days (if such an audience can be said to really exist?!). Young Thug e.g. might be a Pitchfork darling but some of his tracks have been huge in the US it seems - Lifestyle, Stoner - and the most popular rapper ATM Drake has referenced Young Thug and of course did the verse for Migos (more weirdos).

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I think Boosie will definitely address the issues around police racism on his album. Imagine Rick Ross addressing it, what with his past that he wants to forget lol