...:::::...::Real Hip-Hop:::...::.... 2015

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I don't see how a rapper saying his weed smells like excrement can possibly be a bad thing.

This one is ill. Literally.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/jUvy-n3c3Ro" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

LOVE this. I am feeling his LondonOnTheTrack produced stuff with its luxurious textures and melodiousness but I have been missing his weirder side for sure.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/IE7T8bO80a8" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

King Louie - Where I Come From (2015)

This is my song of the year so far, don't think I've posted this in here yet. Louie is definitely one of my top 5 rappers of the last five years.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/0qszZsWZQaU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Lil Herb - XXL (2015)

This tune makes me want to hear some new TREE. Gravel voice x Chopped up soul FTW

rubberdingyrapids

i dont understand the appeal of young thug. i was quite into pikachu and trigger finger but the barter 6 leaves me scratching my head. what are you meant to be looking out for? id actually rather listen to the last lil wayne mixtape.

CrowleyHead

i dont understand the appeal of young thug. i was quite into pikachu and trigger finger but the barter 6 leaves me scratching my head. what are you meant to be looking out for? id actually rather listen to the last lil wayne mixtape.

The result is you like Wayne better than Thug. That's cool.

David Drake actually argued recently that his approach to simile and punchline is actually closer in spirit to Raekwon at this point. IDK if I'd agree but; it indicates a branching and development into another direction.

I think its ridiculously good but like, I don't know how to explain the 'appeal' if it isn't apparent here because its the same shit that made early Thugger good to great: delivery and off-the-wall association. The production's 'samey', but I feel like he wanted a specific sound/vibe for the album, which is this depressive grandiose that London stripmines right now.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I don't think you can look out for what's good about him, you either feel it or you don't.

I will say that he's much more of a technician than he sounds. Ppl think he's just spouting gibberish but his flow is tight. He's experimenting with his voice more than any other rapper out there, too. I'd say my favourite thing about him is his melodies.

I'd say if you can't enjoy "Givenchy" than he just isn't for you. He's flowing/rapping/singing his arse off there, even if it isn't in a conventional rappity rap way.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I don't think you can look out for what's good about him, you either feel it or you don't.

I will say that he's much more of a technician than he sounds. Ppl think he's just spouting gibberish but his flow is tight. He's experimenting with his voice more than any other rapper out there, too. I'd say my favourite thing about him is his melodies.

I'd say if you can't enjoy "Givenchy" than he just isn't for you. He's flowing/rapping/singing his arse off there, even if it isn't in a conventional rappity rap way.

Currently loving the living shit out of Halftime and Check. Great music to smoke to

rubberdingyrapids

ill give givenchy a go. but yeah, it was mainly the beats that i found boring.

David Drake actually argued recently that his approach to simile and punchline is actually closer in spirit to Raekwon at this point. IDK if I'd agree but; it indicates a branching and development into another direction.

was he talking about thug or wayne? kinda weird as i never really considered raekwon a 'punchline rapper' (also think raekwon has been writing the same verse, or the same cadence for many years, but maybe i just lost interest)

CrowleyHead

ill give givenchy a go. but yeah, it was mainly the beats that i found boring.

was he talking about thug or wayne? kinda weird as i never really considered raekwon a 'punchline rapper' (also think raekwon has been writing the same verse, or the same cadence for many years, but maybe i just lost interest)

I personally dislike 'Givenchy' but that's reasonable to dislike the grandiose stuff. I've personally been really not fond of his embrace of more typical 'trap' style music.

And Thug; not that he called Raekwon a punchline rapper, but that descriptive aspect he found as about as visually stimulating.

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
Dunno if you mean the rich gang stuff but I don't see that as typical trap music at all - much more melodic and almost loungey than what I'd think of as trap. But maybe my definition of trap music is narrow.

CrowleyHead

Dunno if you mean the rich gang stuff but I don't see that as typical trap music at all - much more melodic and almost loungey than what I'd think of as trap. But maybe my definition of trap music is narrow.

That wasn't what I was talking about, I was talking about a lot of the stuff around the 1017 era.

This is a great example, big hit but I cannot fuck with it at all.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/kaMoFbvep3E" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

luka

Currently loving the living shit out of Halftime and Check. Great music to smoke to

I sort of feel the opposite of this. That he's a technican/musician first and foremost and that means the appeal is not immediate but needs time and engagement to Appreciate properly. Neither of us got barter at first listen if I remember right?

luka

He's not quite as relentlessly innovative as his most fervent disciples are claiming. He definitely has habits. But there's still a hell of a lot going on in any one song

luka

A good Way to explain would be to pick a representative song and break it down in detail. Corpsey is rap critic for the wire so I think he should do it. Would also be interesting to see everyone do it for the same song and compare results

CrowleyHead