Acid Techno

catalog

One of the best I went to was very West, Uxbridge I think, on an industrial estate. Afterwards I fell asleep on the Victoria line for a few spins to and fro

chava

I think it's more about lying on piles of rubbish on warehouses but yeah, the powder helps. Or maybe more the music helps the drugs. But I listened to a big of the mix earlier completely sober and thought it was pretty good. He obviously knows his shit and he's completely right what he says about the snobbiness of the techno sign. Always a good sign when someone starts as a drummer as well

Nah, it's pretty mediocre stuff. As thirdform mentioned the midwest, den haag or the cologne acid scene were waaay more creative musicwise. But I'd assume the UK raves were better. Amelie Lens playing your tracks out now is not a mark of longevity, sorry.

catalog

i don't doubt the best music was elsewhere but at those squat parties, the music was only one part of things.

so many funny characters, all the time. and just the places they were in and all that.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
you have to take more drugs than im willing to take to start liking this music. its a Rubicon you cross once youve had over 10,000 Ecstasy Tablets and ketamines.

That's a common view in london dance music circles and it's also why things like jungle, garage etc haven't had the longevity that house and techno has. as soon as something gets a bit machine like a lot of the london crowd is out. which is a shame because it is still the city where you can hear UK drill, 80s goth and piledriver gabber in the same week. No other city in the world has the diversity we have but we don't know how to appreciate it and defend it.

That being said, I tend to distinguish between acid techno and the liberator style 'london acid' which is a lot more trancey and not to my taste. in the liberator stuff every record builds to a climax then winds down. not really my thing.

here's some funky den haag acid, much grungier and rhythmically interesting imo. try it.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
Nah, it's pretty mediocre stuff. As thirdform mentioned the midwest, den haag or the cologne acid scene were waaay more creative musicwise. But I'd assume the UK raves were better. Amelie Lens playing your tracks out now is not a mark of longevity, sorry.

squat parties are more psytrance and jump up dnb these days. however if uglyfunk ever throws a party its one not to miss, weird stuff in the subhead/landstrumm mould. Monox also used to be a good leftfield techno party. Oh and Mark Hawkins could throw down a mean (proper, not liberator) acid set. he moved to berlin and then got cancelled, i think?

catalog

I'll have a listen cheers. In the late 00s, the only squat parties I went to were all psy trance, put me off for years. But it's cos all the others with jungle got too dark like he says in the piece

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
1.Sleazy D "I've Lost Control" (Trax)
2.DJ Sneak "Your Mind Your Body" (Relief)
3.Fast Eddie "Acid Thunder" (DJ International)
4.Mike Dearborn "Chaotic State" (Djax Up Beats)
5.Acid Farm "Grand Bassito" (Proper NYC)
6.Cristian Vogel "Round" (Tresor)
7.Navario Sauro & Adam X "Radar Detector" (Scandinavia)
8.Timeblind "Squelch Trials" (Communique)
9.F.U.S.E. "Substance Abuse" (Plus 8)
10.Acid Phreex "Ghosts" (Djax Up Beats)
11.Box Blaze "Pin point" (Axodya)
12.Tim Taylor & Dan Zamani "The Horn Track" (Missile)
13.Cristian Vogel "1968 Holes (12"remix)" (Novamute)
14.DJ Urban "Jack Your Big Booty (Urban's Original Mix)" (Pro-Jex)
15.Trax Boy "Rattlesnake" (ACV)
16.Woody McBride "Greg Metzger" (Proper NYC)
17.Wink & E.S.P. "No Balogna For Me" (Head In The Clouds)
18.Time Attack "Wait A Minute" (Proper NYC)
19.Edge Of Motion "Set Up 707" (Djax Up Beats)
20.DJ Misjah & DJ Groovehead "Delirious" (X-Trax)
21.Woody Mcbride "Aroma" (Drop Bass Network)
22. Ceephax Acid Crew "Three Note Safari" (Breakin')
23.Mike McCoy "Azid Ramcash II - 0059324389/001" (JJ)
24.Woody McBride "Being there (Late)" (Drop Bass Network)
25.Clementine "Breaking Point" (Djax Up Beats)
26.Mike Dearborn "Birds on E" (Djax Up Beats)
27.Steve Stoll "Liquid" (Delirium)
28.Affie Yusef "Tin Box" (Ferox)
29.The Advent "Ano Domini" (Internal)
30.Spira "Bruised" (Spira)
31.D.O.M. "Acid War" (Stay Up Forever)
32.Spira "The Fanatic" (Spira)
33.Mike Dred "Linear D" (Axodya)
34.Dr Jekel & Mr Hyde "Hashman" (Experimental)
35.Inevitech "Voice Control" (Trope Recordings)
36.Dr Jekel & Mr Hyde "Midex" (Experimental)
37.I.S.Q. "Tilt" (ACV)
38.Random XS "Release Yourself" (Djax Up Beats)
39.F.U.S.E. "F.U.2 (Re-edit)" (Plus 8)

This would be the sound of the more funkier sound systems/djs at squat parties... Much more my thing.

Last edited:

catalog

But you can't really listen to this at home or in the car can you? It's just weird. You need to be lying on your back in spilt beer, people staring at you cos you've said the same thing a few things. Then find a dog and go play

chava

This would be the sound of the more funkier sound systems/djs at squat parties... Much more my thing.

Uh oh some of my all-time favs in there. But as you say, he got cancelled, so I'd better skip it.

IdleRich

IdleRich
Some friends of mine were at one where someone fell to their death and they had to go and appear at the inquest or whatever it's called as witnesses. Not really surprising I guess, I would often wander around the places and explore away from the music (if possible) and nine times out of ten there would be loads of holes from one floor to another, bits that had collapsed or were part way through collapsing. Add in loads of rusty metal and so on and it's really pretty much the worst environment in the world to introduce thousands of nutters on various crazy cocktails of drugs who haven't slept for weeks.
I don't mean to sound callous but - the risk not the death itself - is part of the fun though really isn't it.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
Uh oh some of my all-time favs in there. But as you say, he got cancelled, so I'd better skip it.

nah, you just listen to it guiltily, like a dirty shag with the ex.

Hilarious noone has realised that aspect of cancel culture. It's just break up inflated to hypermanic political proportions.

catalog

Some friends of mine were at one where someone fell to their death and they had to go and appear at the inquest or whatever it's called as witnesses. Not really surprising I guess, I would often wander around the places and explore away from the music (if possible) and nine times out of ten there would be loads of holes from one floor to another, bits that had collapsed or were part way through collapsing. Add in loads of rusty metal and so on and it's really pretty much the worst environment in the world to introduce thousands of nutters on various crazy cocktails of drugs who haven't slept for weeks.
I don't mean to sound callous but - the risk not the death itself - is part of the fun though really isn't it.
The first one I went to in herne Hill had some electrical wiring hanging out of the ceiling that some kids were swinging on.

IdleRich

IdleRich
To be honest I'm surprised there aren't more deaths.
One time I went to one with this guy I knew a bit. He was a trainee doctor and I bumped into him in The End, he was driving to this party and he invited me along. We were at the party for a bit and he wanted to go and get some money so he drove to a petrol station and got money, filled up and was just driving off when he realised he hadn't paid... I think that would have been the end of his medical career if he'd been busted inadvertently stealing petrol (which he would have been cos of the camera driving on drugs, with a pocket full of drugs having not slept for days and so on. Between us we remembered at the very last second.

catalog

i remember going to one on a sunday afternoon, got the big bendy bus from my mates house in stoke newington, without paying, and it was somewhere in bermondsey in some office blocks. We went to meet a friend there who was asleep in a corner when we arrived and then i had to go to shepherds bush for dinner with someone else. i took a balloon for them. and on the way there we went over the bridge again and there was one of those huge warships on the thames and it was a really phantasmagoric experience for me, it felt completely weird and otherworldly. that's what i really used to love about them, the experience of london before/after, as much as the parties themselves