CrowleyHead

tim westwood to thread.

That's actually funny because I can't think of anyone more authentically hip-hop in my definition who's white, than Tim Westwood. Whereas if you're say, the staff of Stones Throw, I tend to be very very judgmental because they're trying so hard to be this version of hip-hop that has less of a place in the momentum. "Oh dude, what about these leftovers!"

Pyramids and Tea actually hit on what I'm getting at with white dilution resulting in something else. In the regards of being close to the pure forms, they're actually not cutting it, by far. But in what they result in, where they end up taking it, can be entirely rewarding. But you can't always hold it up to the standards of the genre itself. In the case of Bowie, his take on soul did actually have fans in the soul genre. Young Americans, "Fame" especially, were big hits in the R&B market in America. That isn't like, biographical rock-writer myth. And Bowie, for all his success, has always been a relatively cultish figure in the US, so its much easier for him to slip into the R&B crowd on occasion.

When referring to white rappers though, the problem is always that they very rarely adhere their takes to the genre. I guess there's something about the misplacement of rapper's ego and identity that forces them to overtly embody characteristics that's true to them. So say, Eminem, who with Dre was an awkward but not unreasonable hip-hop figure, now stands out like a sore thumb because everything he does has this arena rock filter because he has an audience who cannot be maintained with rap rules.

Interesting someone brought up 3rd Bass as being subtle and blending though, because I'd NEVER say that about them. They certainly fit the parameters of what a rap group should've sounded like at that time, but again, there's something slightly off. The inherent need to police their fellow whites was v.... cute.

rubberdingyrapids

blues and soul are diff i would wager, as soul was much more of a mainstream proposition esp by the mid 70s (though there are still obv battles to do with authenticity etc), and far more pop-friendly then the blues was in its time. i like YA, same as i do the soul-funk-y stuff on diamond dogs and station to station (i like a lot of white soul songs tbh).

but soul was a much more accessible thing, partly to do with its time, but also just as soul was by its nature more about being urbane/sophisticated, optimistic, positive, and embracing the masses, even as it was still the music of the black ghettos in the US. the blues was made with that far less in mind (at least until the 60s). bowie wasnt trying to do the more political end of soul (or try and act like he grew up in the housing projects in chicago). plus he worked with the actual session guys/singers, so he ended up with something that was still his personal slant on the music, but also close to what else was happening in R&B back then.

but like i said, i think its a case by case thing, not one rule fits all. just saying 'white artists' and 'black music' doesnt really do either side any favours. it just becomes a mess when thats all you boil it down to.

Maybe - but are there loads of great white American blues singers? Or any at all? (That's not a rhetorical question btw.)

not sure but i prefer hearing dylan, or whoever sing a blues song (or their version of a blues song) to hearing jagger try and pretend he grew up in louisiana.

Last edited:

rubberdingyrapids

Where does Discarda fit into all this

sort of like elvis, someone who grew up around urban/black music so more 'authentic'. but also bringing white/english culture to the music w/r/t cockney-isms etc so not trying to 'pass' as black. all very messy though when you listen to how most teens in london speak now. bruza and the mitchell bros also muddy this whole argument, being black guys from london sounding like 'white' cockneys (though anyone who grew up in london in the 80s/90s surely knows asian/black people who are cockneys so....).

Last edited:

Mr. Tea

Let's Talk About Ceps
not sure but i prefer hearing dylan, or whoever sing a blues song (or their version of a blues song) to hearing jagger try and pretend he grew up in louisiana.

Can't say I'm a huge fan of Dylan's voice but I take your point about grating accent-mimicry.

Pandiculate

sort of like elvis, someone who grew up around urban/black music so more 'authentic'. but also bringing white/english culture to the music w/r/t cockney-isms etc so not trying to 'pass' as black. all very messy though when you listen to how most teens in london speak now. bruza and the mitchell bros also muddy this whole argument, being black guys from london sounding like 'white' cockneys (though anyone who grew up in london in the 80s/90s surely knows asian/black people who are cockneys so....).

this discussion should involve boxed though. thats more interesting to discuss than any of the doggenham lot.

I really don't think this argument works when it comes to places like London, you hear a kid shouting in what someone outside of London would call a 'black accent' but that kid could honestly be any colour and I wouldn't have a clue without looking at them.

I'd say it's much more a working-class/immigrant culture than a black one.

Even most Grime MC's are a mix of Caribbean and African, they are not 'one' culture like black culture in seen as in America.

Last edited:

rubberdingyrapids

Discarda as Elvis is perfect thanks for that

no worries ;)

but yeah @Pandiculate, thats what i was getting at...

i think with grime, you have people like discarda and dog-z etc, and then you have the boxed lot, who fit a more familiar trope of white artists' takes on (older, even if it still relatively recent) black music, if not exactly.

Last edited:

Pandiculate

no worries ;)

but yeah @pandiculate, thats what i was getting at...

i think with grime, you have people like discarda and dog-z etc, and then you have the boxed lot, who fit a more familiar trope of white artists' takes on (older, even if it still relatively recent) black music, if not exactly.

Sorry, kind of forgot where I was, had a few 'discussions' on reddit about why young Londoners 'talk black'

rubberdingyrapids

just to clarify, just cos i said discarda was like elvis, i didnt mean the elvis as 'black culture thief', i just meant the elvis who liked black music and had some real connection to it.

Pandiculate

That's really important. When speaking of cultures, one tends almost automatically to deal in generalising terms, forgetting that there is a huge diversity within this so-called monolithic blocks.

Yeah, and I think it is difficult with American Black Culture being so prevalent worldwide and it being a construct uniting a large group who didn't know their real roots. Black people anywhere else don't really fit in that box, but it's hard not to fall in to that trap, especially for people who don't really meet many black people.

Leo

kind of off-topic and also a generalization but..."black american/hiphop" culture really became the default global youth culture over the past few decades, didn't it? it gets adapted and assimilated a little differently around the world, but the essence of the look and attitude is embraced universally by kids in the europe, asia, latin america, etc.

i'm trying to remember if there even was an equivalent dominant global youth culture before hiphop.

Pandiculate

kind of off-topic and also a generalization but..."black american/hiphop" culture really became the default global youth culture over the past few decades, didn't it? it gets adapted and assimilated a little differently around the world, but the essence of the look and attitude is embraced universally by kids in the europe, asia, latin america, etc.

i'm trying to remember if there even was an equivalent dominant global youth culture before hiphop.

It definitely feels like that somtimes, but living in Tokyo for a few years the Hip-Hop kids were definitely the misfit kids. And Hip-Hop clubs there are just embarrassing, synchronized dancing everywhere.

CrowleyHead

The big problem is that culture that has been shipped and commodified is in a sense, a generalization that is a culture based on material goods and vague concepts "Only God Can Judge Me" becomes just reduced "Be Yourself", competition and the constriction of economic depravity becomes talking about "Haters" meaning someone who irritated you in the line for coffee, or whatever.

Someone already pointed out that there isn't a universal experience and that's true, but I do feel there's a problem in which kids who... aren't experienced emulate those who have experienced hardships as a sort of coping mechanism for how culture-less they feel. Almost a 'false valor' pursuit, which is fucked because the behavior they emulate... Sure you can romantacize it and recognize it, but it isn't the best way to live. Its a means to an end. And the internet helps because these kids who are mostly isolated by having an economic background which insulates them from hardship (and thank god for that), they can learn all the nitty gritty without getting their hands dirty.

So you end up with this:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/II4o4jvJYUQ?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Which is obviously the most overtly self-reflexive in its presentation, but at the same time gathers a larger amount of the middle class audience that could help boost a more authentic version like say...

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/V5iKxwPxd0I?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

This a big problem I have with Drake where he makes music that's ambiguously about content he definitively doesn't have to live, which embodies his work more and more with time, and a lot of people affiliated with Kanye. This poverty gap in who gets to sustain a career in rap is incredibly unhealthy and unrealistic.

And that's not even figuring in how the internet is causing a lot of voyeurism into regional behavior, and you see people copying things that are so vividly them trying to get internet attention rather than manifesting the normal ways. The concept of trending and the 'viral' 'internet sensation' is just too overwhelmingly simple for people.

Best take on it in a UK Perspective: <iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/NhZCgeUQFgA?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Via Trilliam.

luka

messi is just the latest in a line of luxury flair players with a poor work ethic. he will settle comfortably into his inevitable 'cult player' niche before long, most likely after the world cup. i would liken him to a le tissier or a ginola.

― aarrissi-a-roni, Wednesday, March 17, 2010 8:26 PM (2 years ago) Bookmark Flag Post Permalink

petergunn

plywood violin
This a big problem I have with Drake where he makes music that's ambiguously about content he definitively doesn't have to live, which embodies his work more and more with time, and a lot of people affiliated with Kanye. This poverty gap in who gets to sustain a career in rap is incredibly unhealthy and unrealistic.

good point...

this is the best thread on dissensus....

discarda as elvis is brilliant until you realize elvis had talent....

but yes, the odd white man out in a black environment is a great musical trope... maybe discarda is ron bykowski from funkadelic...

luka

Ha, Afrobeats... heard a few times out this month. Latest was Friday, seeing a session bassist friend with an Indian drummer-on-a-beats-in-a-box and typical Cambo expat as singer-songwriter... was warned against it earlier by the bassist at a local beefhouse... called the singer-songwriter a cross between Cohen and the Crash Test Dummies. Went anyhow, thought it was alright, singer-songwriter English teacher nihilist dude apparently doubles as videographer, had koyaanisqatsi-style footage on the projector from Late 90s East Village lowlife... heroin addicts and WTC and all... guy was closer to an untalented Nick Cave, w/ East Village affections... whole time through it's Nigerians in the back playing pool flirting with Khmer whores and one-night-in-the-Penh scared Ozzie backpackers at the bar hugging their girls watching the Wimbledon semifinals live. Their LAST NOTE Davido gets pumped up on the speakers (note that Nigerians are barred from most bars here so they'll take it where they can get it), Mr English Teacher asides immediately to bassist friend that they get replaced by "techno shit".

Feel a bit bad for the guy, sure he's a musical hack but the footage was great, he succeeded in mooding his corner, so after my food-poisoned friend & Viet wife & kid leaves and my wife & I get bored I get fed up of waiting for him to stop talking to the drummer (giving up on my dreams of explaining Bhangra and Cave might not be the best fit) and head up to his booth, saying that yeah at times I clued into his act and considered it the shit... like Thurston Moore had a blues side-project (hey know your audience). "hey wow thanks!"... and hey is your footage on YouTube? "It's a long story... I'm in the middle of a conversation, can we talk in a bit?"

English teacher proceeds to the bar. I proceed to rock out to Davido the hardest in my life.

I wore a Phillies cap out that night. Learned the next night at Sharky's he was from Harrisburg PA. Might prefer no fans at all over the kinds of people he left back in PA on his way to the East Village, I dunno. I've got 100k views a day nowadays on YT, thought his video was the shit, wanted to explain how to get an audience bigger than one per week.

Anyway this is the kind of stuff I should post under a screenname, not for being Phnom Penh, but because I've been told my pithiness is legendary and should remain under wraps. Davido's been great this month tho. Won't share the other times.

― Adam J Duncan, Friday, 17 July 2015 11:32 (3 days ago) Permalink