I've just decided to become a fan of The Police

luka

He's said to have mastered the mythical male multiple orgasm. He can also orgasm without spurting or even leaking.

Leo

by the sounds of his music, maybe he'd be better off releasing once in a while.

CrowleyHead

I remember someone making fun of his one song with the arabic theme, I can't remember the name, by slowing it down and claiming "UNRELEASED COIL TRACK".

Tbf, Coil would be lucky.

trza

technically lots of things qualify as non penetrative sex, almost everything qualifies.

mistersloane

heavy heavy monster sound
There's something wonderful about a thread that confirms suspicions, rather than mollify paranoia; I leave this actually hating this band, properly.

As for his solo career? I'll defend Desert Rose, definitely, although the drum sound is disgusting and I prefer Madonna's "Frozen" way more if we have to go to that level of...stuff.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/C3lWwBslWqg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Last edited:

mistersloane

And I like the fact that he appears to be the first person who went on that stupid diet that makes everyone who is famous and quite good looking look ancient and like skeletons.

mistersloane

In fact, Sting is a really good example of someone who wasn't good enough to be ascended and replicated by someone resembling them but more talentless (examples of those ascended and replaced with hapless biotics - Adam Ant, Siouxsie Sioux, Madonna, Tinchy Stryder)

droid

Sting has been voted the worst lyricist of all time in a new poll.

"The Police frontman was accused of showing "mountainous pomposity [and] cloying spirituality" after name-dropping Russian novelist Vladimir Nabokov in hit song 'Don't Stand So Close to Me'.

He was also criticised for quoting a Volvo bumper sticker in 'If You Love Someone Set Them Free' and using lines from Chaucer, Shakespeare and St Augustine in other lyrics.

The 56-year-old beat Rush drummer Neil Peart, Creed singer Scott Stapp and Oasis star Noel Gallagher to the top spot in the poll by Blender magazine.

Blender said Gallagher "seemed incapable of following a metaphor through a single line, let alone a whole verse"."

stinglyricGPX0910_458x555.jpg

http://www.digitalspy.com/music/news/a77411/sting-voted-worst-lyricist-of-all-time.html

bruno

est malade
i don't understand the bile in this thread, they weren't great but there are much worse things like the cure and talking heads that are absolute shit and no-one questions.

the police album covers were rather good, before hearing the music i thought the one with chinese characters (?) and another with a triangle were striking and kind of futuristic. the music seemed dated and not as good as the artwork (all this through my ten year-old eyes). re: sting, he was a fave of my cousin who had light jazz sensibilities and dressed impeccably, inevitably i had a couple of lps that i disowned as i entered adolescence.

my twelve year-old self however appreciated these two:

Last edited:

bruno

est malade
the un-centred nothing like the sun (why did they not align to the photo?), the crushed loop of the letter g and the size of the name beside the photo bother me more than the music.

trza

Back in the day when sample based hip-hop was king and puff daddy was puff daddy forever he got tired of shelling out six figure checks for master fees and decided to strike up deals with the artists he wanted to sample. The end result was puff daddy agreed with Sting to pay him royalties for that one song in exchange for a lower master fee or something, plus puffy "gave" him a remix to Roxanne.
what a totall clunker of a nineties rap remake.

bruno

est malade
oh yeah, i suppose i don't get as worked up about this stuff because i have made terrible musical mistakes in life. i had whitney houston records for christs sake.

i did agree with your sounds of the 70s musing as i had a similar reaction to these groups, previously i could not stand the human league but now find them not half bad, even human is cool and i vaguely remember liking that without knowing who it was. never understood why people liked madness etc.

i do remember feeling intense repulsion on hearing soul cages and thinking how on earth could i have liked this, but that was long after i had dispensed with sting. hearing the above reminds me though that however shit the music there is at least something there, which explains why a parasite like puffy needs it to sustain an otherwse empty music/video..