Bad influences

version

Yes definitely, everyone associates chicago and detroit with serious reverence but this stuff is humerous as all hell, in fact I find a lot of UK/euro house producers lack that critical humour element.
Some of it showed up in 'post-dubstep'. I remember thinking Shortstuff/Mickey Pearce was verging on Poindexter at times. All that "seasick/neon synths" stuff had these gooey, metallic, day-glo sounds. Kids TV sounds. Willy Wonka sounds.

Benny Bunter

They're all good tunes and good knowledge about house, but I fail to see what relevance any of it has to that old quote of mine you dug up tbh. You did the same thing with that thread Corpsey started about what house tunes UK funky djs played - just posted a load of irrelevant tunes that you liked.

I already get that you don't think UK funky was very good, hardly an uncommon opinion.

Last edited:

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
They're all good tunes and good knowledge about house, but I fail to see what relevance any of it has to that old quote of mine you dug up tbh. You did the same thing with that thread Corpsey started about what house tunes UK funky djs played - just posted a load of irrelevant tunes that you liked.

I already get that you don't think UK funky was very good, hardly an uncommon opinion.

Because I'm fighting the ideological war to link house back to the nuum, something I thought you would be on board with. If anything, it's chicago house and new york mentalism that the nuum gets its zany mania from, not hip hop. Like I am writing in an email to @trilliam - one could heretically claim that a lot of the more purist bleepy deep tech owes more to chi town than it does UK soulful house culture, in a weird, inverted way.

Also I never said funky was not very good, merely that it has become an excuse for people to waffle and pontificate without having much knowledge of that raw street smart DNA that has been running through house since its genesis. The idea that influences from grime, soca, dancehall etc are being folded into house is a very good one, the idea that trad house is stayed and conservative and has no rudeness, (blackdown to thread!) however, is much less defensible.