kid charlemagne

LADIES OF THE CANYON

Morning Morgantown is an awful song title, but quite a good opener, it gives a homely feeling of somewhere you didn't live, but quite often visited, and could imagine your life there one day.
For Free is maybe where I like Joni the most, in piano ballad mode.
Conversation has the annoying janky guitar sound, i can pass. some kind of odd lyrics.
Title track is brilliant, a much more subdued guitar tune that fits her voice very well. Feel this is also a very solid riff on dylan, especially in song structure. bravo
Willy, insane song full of longing, only right its another piano ballad,
And I feel like I'm just being born
Like a shiny light breaking in a storm
There are so many reasons why I love him
poor girl
Arrangement feels a bit redundant, really going for it vocally, and honestly, feel like it could work better with different instrumentation
Rainy Night House, to be completely honest, I'm not sure what to make of this one.
The Priest, I think this is a very good song about being conflicted with religion, but feels too direct with its subject.
Blue Boy was a lot more my groove, great song about reminiscing on old love.
Big Yellow Taxi, a shame more people know the counting crows version, this one feels so much more earnest, and despite the more upbeat and jovial feel to this, it has her edge and heart that is found in previous tracks on the album
Woodstock, very funny, good song, but this is a case, I feel that the CSN cover is much better.
The Circle Game is a good track, not redundant in any way despite a song that feels similar in structure and themes to whats been covered in previous songs and albums being life and love spanning and being covered over a long amount of years.

Overall a very strong effort. Joni's work is very fun to listen to and follow along with the lyrics. Still greatly prefer her 2nd album, but this is better than her first.

• Fire
Reactions: sus

sus

I'm going to relisten, it's the album I know the least of her first ten-album run, lot of those tracknames I can't recall

I've always really loved the watery... is it a Rhodes? organ, how delicate it is, on her "Woodstock"

"Big Yellow Taxi" I think is annoying IDK

Corpsey

bandz ahoy
I love The Circle Game but I am a sympathetic sod

Big yellow taxi to me is miraculous in that it's absolutely rinsed to death but still sounds fresh

When she sings "don't it always seem to go" that particular plangent note she hits that goes straight to my heart, she hits it all the time in "blue". The lyrics are fantastic but it's the intangible beauty of that voice really that gets me gud

sus

Big yellow taxi to me is miraculous in that it's absolutely rinsed to death but still sounds fresh
Maybe it's just some stupid hipster thing I'm unconsciously doing. Or maybe it's because my mom liked it growing up and I'm individuating.

kid charlemagne

BLUE
will start just by saying I have listened to this album before, at least a year, but i do have some familiarity

Play All I Want for Taylor Swift fans and they might die
My Old Man, I feel its rare I here these parental songs sung from the perspective of a woman, but this one serves a great purpose, her voice really beckons out her cathartic feelings of love for those close to her.
Little Green, I like this song, but honestly don't make much of what it is saying.
Carey, I don't know exactly what it is with Joni, but through listening I kind of feel pretty down with the mood of her music, especially with how longing and departed it can feel, but I really love the jovial and present tone of this one
Blue is really an antithesis to my last point, just a pierce right through the heart this one, short, but poignant.
Crown and anchor me
Or let me sail away
California, there's a lot one could say about the lyrics and sound of this song, but I'm most struck by the melody, its super creative, just try reading the lyrics as she sings them, not as I expected. Also this song is so homely, the title could be renamed to anyone's home, and it would still work.
This Flight Tonight, a song for girls, too ambitious musically
River, there are so many great "River" songs, this one is no exception, a more delicate Neil Young song, a beautiful expression of that mundanity one can feel even when everything going on with them seems to be ok. Sometimes we all wish we had a river to skate away on. This is possibly my favorite song from her.
A Case of You, weird disconnect here with her voice and instrumentation choices, not the worst song, but not a favorite, maybe it'll grow on me.
The Last Time I Saw Richard, a song a woman would write about me.

Very Strong record, not perfect, and I still favor Clouds as her best so far, but the highs in this album are as high as she's gotten so far for me.

sus

My synopsis of three years listening to joni mitchel

"freedom?? more like freedoom amirite"

sus

Sorry Kid, I thought it was just inane bant about Flo Dill, I didn't scroll up far enough

sus

Yeah you're onto it, I agree with nearly everything, esp what you said about Carey, and All I Want is one of the best, this lithe sadhappy angstbliss

Case Of You is the LP standout IMO tho, give it a couple more tries. Maybe try the James Blake cover? It might be better than the OG

sus

I actually avoid that song it's too potent. You can't put it on a playlist you can't put it on when a girl's over you can't even put it on in the arms of the woman you love. It's too potent it's too earnest it's too real it's too raw.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
one thing with Joni Mitchell fandom is they find it difficult to talk about her as a conduit like you do in folk music.

kid charlemagne

FOR THE ROSES
She is naked on the gatefold of my album copy.

Banquet is joni acting as an overseeing god peering in at the people she grew up with and other folks around the music seen, burnouts, addicts, and jesus freaks
Cold Blue Steel and Sweet Fire
Barangrill, really like the instrumentation, she diversifies herself well, also enjoy how affecting this can be towards the lowlifes and outsiders
Lesson in Survival, a song about insecurities in life, and why its ok to be yourself when no one is accepting you
Let the wind carry me, sad song about family, wish joni could have found someone to raise a child with
For the ROses
See You Sometime, great expression of that feeling thinking about someone in your past who youve had ups and downs with and still think of even though you havent spoken to them in years
Electricity, I like Joni singing about and to her younger self, its common in her work even if its not as direct as it is here
You turn me on im a radio, great song title, im going to text it to a girl
Blonde in the Bleachers, brutal song
She tapes her regrets
To the microphone stand
She says "You can't hold the hand
Of a rock 'n' roll man
Very long
Woman of Heart and Mind, this album just gets sadder and sadder,
You think I'm like your mother
Or another lover or your sister
Or the queen of your dreams
Or just another silly girl
When love makes a fool of me
I'm looking for affection and respect
A little passion
And you want stimulation-nothing more
You know the times you impress me most
Are the times when you don't try
When you don't even try
Judgement of the moon and stars, a somewhat auspicious ending to the album

Wow, this album maybe my 2nd fav behind Blue or Clouds, I honestly was bored in the first half, but the back half is so gut wrenching.

Overall with the albums I've been through so far, I just have to say, that Joni's words and music have been giving me a deeper understanding and respect for women, she makes me want to do better in how I treat women. thank you sus. thank you joni