Status
Not open for further replies.

luka

im not tbh. that was the first song of their's ive ever heard. i heard it last night. someone posted it on twitter yesterday becasue one of the members died recently. they have no presence in england. they might as well not exist.

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
www.youtube.com/watch?v=NFwP2huyNzg
the Kinks are generally way too pastoral and/or Wes Anderson for me but this is the big exception

first - amazingly woke for a song written by straight (or at least straight presenting) rock dudes 50 years go

less than a year after Stonewall - before Walk On the Wild Side, before pansexual Bowie ushered in glam, before Queen

not weirdo freak scenesters like the VU but a bunch of quintessential English lads. can you imagine Robert Plant singing this? no. even Jagger was fey in a very explicitly I fuck tons of hot chicks way.

also it's catchy af and the Dobro guitar knocks - they really knew how to put a song together. if only they weren't so generally twee.

luka

theres 2 kinks. the good kinks (punk rock, loud, abrasive, exciting) and the bad kinks (whimsical, drippy, affected)

luka

this is very good. much better than any song by the beatles or the rolling stones. infinitely better. in a different universe of excellence.

padraig (u.s.)

theres 2 kinks. the good kinks (punk rock, loud, abrasive, exciting) and the bad kinks (whimsical, drippy, affected)
sure. but even the good Kinks are still the Wes Anderson version of protopunk.

nothing against em but if you've heard the Stooges and MC5, or even the rawer end of garage rock, it's like what's the point.

also if you wanna talk about car advert music, look no further.

luka

sure. but even the good Kinks are still the Wes Anderson version of protopunk.

nothing against em but if you've heard the Stooges and MC5, or even the rawer end of garage rock, it's like what's the point.

also if you wanna talk about car advert music, look no further.

this is probably your worst opinion yet. neither the stooges nor the mc5 (!) have made a single indelibly catchy song. nothing with the power and the inevitability of the early kinks stuff.

the best they could do was create vague moods and atmospheres, they couldnt carve forms in empty air.

Leo

Most of the world views the whimsical, drippy, affected Kinks as quintessentially British, sorry to say. So eccentric, tales of life in their quaint little leafy village!

Actually, I know plenty of music freaks who think everything they've done is brilliant. Heard poor Dave still tours in order to pay alimony to all his ex-wives...now that's a Kinks song right there!

luka

they are quintessentially british, or english to be specific. that's another good reason to hate them.

padraig (u.s.)

they couldnt carve forms in empty air
no, they took sledgehammers and smashed forms out of solid rock

the Stooges more than the 5, who only really come across on Black to Comm and a couple other things

I imagine you also think Spacemen 3 are pointless droning noise so we're probably working at cross-purposes as per usual

luka

I imagine you also think Spacemen 3 are pointless droning noise so we're probably working at cross-purposes as per usual

at least you know where im coming from

Status
Not open for further replies.