okzharp

_118841298_edf_28544162991.jpg

People would find nuclear power more acceptable if the buildings were prettier.

A very ugly building, Dungeness B

okzharp

Hinkley point echoes the famous brutal south bank centre or is it vice versa,

I can see it from the top of the hill by my mum's house

yep. my mate lives in Nether Stowey which is a tiny town in the glow of Hinkley Point... in terms of ambient lighting it's a bit like having a massive full moon every night and there are hardly any stars.

luka

Something striking about that image, if only seeing that drabness juxtaposed with the gravel and sky. Looks almost like a collage of three different pictures.
its a freaky place. quite scary walking the perimeter of it.

luka

ive got a nice hardcover book all about his little garden, with colour photographs.

version

Had a flip through the booklet that came with Red Desert after watching the film the other week and it had a short piece from Antonioni where he talked about the beauty of the industrial landscape;

"I think the background that you see as the title credits roll is very beautiful. The colors are superb. In the countryside around Ravenna, the horizon is dominated by factories, smokestacks, and refineries. The beauty of that view is much more striking than the anonymous mass of pine trees which you see from afar, all lined up in a row, the same color. The factory is a more varied element, more lively, because behind it one can detect the presence of man and human life, his dramas and hopes. I am in favor of progress, and yet I realize that because of the disruption it brings, it also causes trouble. But that is modern life, and the future is already knocking on our door."

Brought to mind something I recently read in a review of The Devil, Probably too;

"We may grow weary of the world and the mass mechanisms set in place to keep us here, but until we're able to comprehend the sublime poetry of a bus stopping, opening its door, and then starting again, we're all doomed to oblivion."

mixed_biscuits

Brought to mind something I recently read in a review of The Devil, Probably too;

luka

Had a flip through the booklet that came with Red Desert after watching the film the other week and it had a short piece from Antonioni where he talked about the beauty of the industrial landscape;

'where man is not, nature is barren'

version

Not keen on Eraserhead, but Lynch had an eye for the industrial too. And you had the backdrop of the smoking plants and factories of Louisiana in True Detective.

lirette-006-graveyard-lg.jpg

lirette-001-refinerycanefield-lg.jpg

version

There's something mesmerising about burning oil wells. Terrible from an environmental perspective, but you're transfixed. Looks almost biblical.

Mattei5-600x337.png