Sex pistols vs stooges

Leo

don't evaluate the stooges based solely on the albums, read "i need more" to understand their real-life insane lifestyle in general. and "funhouse" is one of my favorite albums ever, a bunch of burnouts who couldn't really play their instruments very well somehow signed to a major label and thrust into a studio. of course, because they're true loser fuck ups, they blow the chance to make a "successful" album by taking copious amounts of acid, speed and heroin and come up with something cheap and nasty sounding.

martin

----
Is it this one?

<iframe src="https://embed.spotify.com/?uri=spotify:album:2LUZ2NS0cwC5BfzEN6ESSP" width="300" height="380" frameborder="0" allowtransparency="true"></iframe>

Hard to judge this cos the sound quality is awful, but does Rotten/Lydon really sound like a typical bland pub rock singer on here? I don't think the band were ever that special or different musically, it was Rotten who made the difference with his weird voice and appearance. The attitude in a performance can't be captured on tape, necessarily.

Also it's the context we can't necessarily empathise with, isn't it? In the same way impressionism paintings which look like tea-towel fodder these days were once considered extremely shocking and even offensive.

Can't listen now, at work - it's been booted a lot but I picked up a CD version years ago, purely because of the gig date - think it was called 'Aggression Through Repression'.

Maybe Rotten doesn't sound like a typical pub singer, but the arrangements are HORRIBLE - Glen Matlock harmonising all over the choruses, uggh...

Sure, if you'd never seen anyone looking like that before, or heard a singer tell people to fuck off, or if the crowd were hostile /unique, the attitude would have been more important than the music. I've just always been surprised that they sounded so stodgy on that recording, like the Kursal Flyers or something.

craner

Beast of Burden
I remember Captain Sensible on an Arena punk documentary in the mid-90s describing his disappointment upon hearing Anarchy in the UK: "it was like a slow pub rock durge with Albert Steptoe ranting on top". That made sense, hit home.

Never really liked the Pistols record or punk, but I appreciated their Year Zero trappings and attempted divorce from rock tradition.

When I first heard Raw Power, it sounded even worse than the Pistols, a muddy, undynamic, trad rock splurge.

Once I heard PiL's debut single, I realised that you may not have to care about either, it had so much more power and dynamism, even if it was talking about itself.