The Velvet Underground vs The Grateful Dead

version

Rallizes were def influenced by VU

I'm guessing smack was the only influence they took from the Dead

I was thinking along the lines of endless feedback-drenched guitar jams and a cultish fanbase feeding off bootlegs and live recordings being a sort of marriage of the two. They're definitely more Velvet than Dead, but think there are elements of both.

william_kent

I'd write JACKS into the equation, Miztutani definitely modelled his hair on the lead singer ( guy on the left: Keiji Haino and Miztutani both copied the hairstyle, it is plain to see )

Mi02OTgwLmdpZg.jpeg

Mitzutani and Haino HATED each other, a rivalry worthy of a novel

meanwhile I have been quietly collecting recordings of the JACKS live and they are definitely a precursor to LRD and FUSHITSUSHA and AMT

oops: derailed thread into something interesting

william_kent

now is a good as time as any to relate the boring story about how I picked up copy of the Rallizes book this week

UPS mailed me telling me they were going to deliver at an inconvenient time, so I chose to redirect to the nearest "pick up" point

1714864004231.png

so on my lunch break I head off to the 'little shop" on a former 'frontline" ( you can't see the barber shop in this pic, because I couldn't get Google maps to include the shutters to the left, but it was the stash house for 'stone" due to a process of "Yardies" aggressively bullying the proprietor until he agreed to their terms and conditions )

I enter and gospel music is playing and I ask about my parcel and the lovely lady at the counter, I'm not saying she is slow, took twenty minutes to examine 2 amazon parcels that did not have my name on and saying 'there are no parcel" before realising there was another one with BORDER FORCE - BORDER FORCE all taped around it AND then she didn't know what to do so she made a phone call to another member of staff who talked her through pressing buttons on the cash register

anyway, an hour later I walked out the door with

1714864776370.png

1714864850225.png

a coffee table book full of out of focus photos and rallizes lyrics in 3 languages ( and a 20 minute never before released tune, etc )