archetypal dyads

luka

Some other plotlines involved Ernie wanting to play a game with Bert, who would much rather do something else (like read). Ernie keeps irking Bert with the game until Bert joins — and usually, by the time Bert starts enjoying the game, Ernie is tired of playing the game and wants to do something else.

haha its me and craner!!!!

luka

you have to be nice to version now, hes not in the mood. you have to sense his emotional state and treat him accordingly. hes not slept. hes on edge. he needs a positive worksplace environment and the support of his peers now.

Reactions: sus

luka

Depressed male movie protagonist and his manic pixie dream girl
edmunds favourite movie is betty blue. ive not seen it and i think its a love triangle but still a classic french set up and one which has deeply impacted on his life.

luka

annoying women always making you do something spontyaneous like drive to the coast for no reason or eat an ice cream in winter. breton's nadja is an early example.

sus

I'm sorry version. You're the heart of this board, not Luke, don't let anyone tell you different.

luka

he'll play along again now. you have to be very responsive in real time and keep making little adjustments. hand out biscuits when necessary etc.

version

Messi vs Ronaldo
short vs tall
quiet vs loud
humble vs egoist
plain vs handsome
genius vs the grind
finesse vs power

I don't know FA about football.

All of these are no doubt simplifications - or outright distortions - of both players characters.

But this is broadly how I read their rivalry. They seem, superficially at least, dissimilar - which is what makes their rivalry so compelling.

That era of Spanish football was almost too perfect: Madrid vs Barca, Ronaldo vs Messi, Mourinho vs Pep, Counter-attacking vs Possession, Spain vs Catalonia, Money vs Artistry. There were just so many layers to the rivalry. I remember a period of maybe a month or so where they played each other something like four times and it was total magic. So many stories going on within this head to head.

Reactions: sus

luka

That era of Spanish football was almost too perfect: Madrid vs Barca, Ronaldo vs Messi, Mourinho vs Pep, Counter-attacking vs Possession. There were just so many layers to the rivalry. I remember a period of maybe a month or so where they played each other something like four times and it was total magic. So many stories going on.
you know how much i loved those chelsea barca clashes. so much fire and frenzy.

luka

youve always got that dynmaic in sports of how do we beat a team that is superior to us? get in their faces, pressure them, harry them, bully them, unsettle them

version

The more I think about the Madrid - Barca thing, the more jumps out at me. The history was just so rich and they were so perfectly opposed to one another. You even had the economic aspect with Madrid flinging money around the globe whilst the core of Barca's team was homegrown talent who'd come through their academy system.

Also the fact Pep and Mou and worked together at Barca in the 90s and Mou, the outsider, had supposedly lost out on the manager's job to Pep.