good ideas that actually ended up coming out as an unmitigated disaster

luka

i mean my facebook for instance is bad becasue everyone i am friends with on there
is very boring and stupid. so the content it gives me is boring and stupid.
but there is no reason in the world why it can't be full of interesting, beautiful
and profound content. if everyone used facebook like i do. in an interesting
beautiful and profound way that's what would happen. it's a screen
and a screen is a blank piece of paper. what you put on it is up to
you.

Leo

broken beat. I love the concept but not sure I've ever heard any memorable execution.

also, witch house.

martin

----
Some ideas work in one territory, and become a complete fiasco in others.

For instance, Riot GRRRL was great in the US, but a total joke in the UK – from Kathleen Hanna’s intersectional polemic to the Voodoo Queens whining about binging on chocolate bars because their indie boyfriends dumped them.

Similarly, America should have steered clear of Oi! What the fuck are US ‘skinheads’ playing at, with beards, shorts and Adidas sambas? Also, they treat the 'crucified skinhead' like some Russian gang tattoo, even though it was just a T-shirt design drawn by a gay punk.

Germany should have swerved WELL fucking clear of reggae.

Sweden should lay off industrial and noise. It’s effortless for the UK and Japan, but a complete embarrassment in Viking hands.

padraig (u.s.)

a monkey that will go ape
I mean I don't disagree about U.S. Oi, maybe cos class consciousness is so much weaker here so it was mostly just the trappings, Docs bracers etc

tho having said that there were some legit Antifa skins back in the 80s, the OG SHARPs and ARA types

but it mostly works better here as a leavening influence to hardcore like Negative Approach or the first couple Agnostic Front records

it also produced this wonderful Cockney Rejects referencing meta-anthem

you know what countries do/did Oi really well, possibly better than the UK? Italy + especially France. who knows why?

luka

you dont have an urban aesthetic is what hes saying i guess. he spans that divide to some degree

padraig (u.s.)

ya I guess that's mostly true

I've been living in U.S. equivalents of Hackney (or whatever your version of West Philly, Humboldt Park, etc) is for 15 years now but I'll never be from there

definitely I originally connected to grime at least in part thru the harsh jarring clangor and manic energy

CrowleyHead

OK gotta tip my cap, that one made me laugh

imagining those dudes as angsty disaffected teens sitting around listening to We Are All Prostitutes etc

It makes sense though.

Guitars as slabs of noise and not real 'riffing', black groove obsessed rhythm section, singing that dances around actually singing about vague musings, electronic tampering...

padraig (u.s.)

It makes sense though
oh I wasn't disagreeing (except with "superior", which even subjectively, no). that was a hat tip on a good pull.

more generally you could put rap rock on the same mostly white guitar dudes trying to interact with black music arc as post-punk

another example, to bring it back on-topic, of how initially good ideas can go terribly wrong

padraig (u.s.)

incidentally I see the Pop Group has gotten back together and released new albums - anyone heard them? worth checking out?

usually can't have high hopes for that kinda thing but Mark Stewart seems like a dude who's stayed interesting/relevant so I could see it being good

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
just wondering why he gave me electro that seems like shared territory. tho depends on the electro I guess.

yeah. it's not really a rock music. but I can't imagine luka completely surrendering to the machines. he's too much of a mystic for that. My nihilism begins with hardcore techno/hard acid and then continues into 2nd wave electro. i only ever got into grindcore through gabba not the other way around. I mean the metal component in gabba is always exagerrated anyway it owes far more to hip hop.

as he says i straddle that divide.

thirdform

pass the sick bucket
because i am turkish i could never get into indie and emo and shit like that so i always had a different taste. i mean turks are into indie and shit like that but they are the westernised types.

But yeah even though hardcore-jungle is probably my favourite music of all time i still feel like a bit of an outsider.

martin

----
you know what countries do/did Oi really well, possibly better than the UK? Italy + especially France

I thought few could top 'AIDS doesn't exist' and 'Lee Perry sucks' in the Dissensus trolling stakes - but well done Padraig, take your sceptre and crown.

Droid - the Levy video sort of tinkers with my theory, but the first vid proves my point . Also, sorry Version, I haven't got a clue who those people are. My 'switched on' dancehall days ended after Reggae Ramjam 2000 - when it seemed that all you needed to do to have a hit was imitate Bounty Killer, and when the DJs all started to lose their distinctive personalities/vocal tics.

Been reliably informed that latter day Pop Group is shit.

droid

I have a soft spot for the cure riddim. Crazy Night is great unreservedly great though and theres a few dozen solid German riddims out there, pus some brilliant soundsystems.